PSR Censor strikes again

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby jon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:10 pm

johnsykes wrote:Was an extremely minor player...main players were Charles P. Rodney Chandler (Chuck) and Roger Scott from our station (CFOX)...I was in the back row for sure.  Not claiming anything...was just there, that's all.

In print and on the air, Chuck has claimed he couldn't sing, so merely played the coffee table.

As for MacArthur Park, it was a 7 minute coda that formed the last movement of a 22 minute cantata written by Jimmy Webb and turned down by The Association -- they didn't want to waste an entire album side on something they considered so uncommercial. Like parts of many Beatles songs, I always that cake in the rain bit was merely a nice sounding ordering of words with absolutely no meaning. But I've never heard Mr. Webb's comments on the subject. Interviews with him on KHJ's original The History of Rock and Roll focused on how the record was produced: each instrument was recorded separately because Jimmy wanted his choice for the best at each instrument worldwide. Then, when it was all mixed, Richard Harris sung with the recording.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:09 pm

Let's back up a spell...June 20...Biff...you referred to liberals and knowing what the lefties are like or something like that. Well I am a leftie....as in left-handed....but not left-leaning, not by a long shot...ask Top Dog. And I'm not a bleeding liberal either....absolutely Tory all the way...always was and always will be.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 pm

It is true - John Sykes is further to the right than Atilla the Hen. He is a personal friend of Stepen Harper.

I remember once lifting my leg to relieve myself at a party....Sykes leaned over, dropped his bottle, and said.... "say is that your left leaning leg"?

John has been very cruel to my most of my distinguished career ass a top pooch on the block.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Jonedmonton, got to see your piece after I posted the last one. Very interesting. I did like Webb....wrote some great stuff. Two songs come to mind....By The Time I Get To Phoenix.....and one of my favourites..."The Highwayman" ...Kristofferson, Jennings, Nelson and Cash.

Chandler is a masterpiece. He and I bantered back and forth while at CFOX...he was at my going-away party when I left to come west. A couple of months ago I contacted him and the response was....virtually, did I know you? Time marches on. I forget to pick up bread sometimes when wifey sends me to the grocery store....so I guess it happens both ways. No problem. I thought he was something else on air when I was there. Guess he didn't think the same this way. Not memorable I guess.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:56 pm

We're talking St. Hubert's chicken gravy mix on this post! That's hilarious!!!!!! Now I have to try it!
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:57 pm

BTW- radiofan, I'm happy to see that you still know your way around cow town! :o)
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:22 pm

mona ... hard to believe it's been 14 years since I left Calgary .. Can't say as I ever ate at St. Huberts, but Murray Sherrifs was always raving about the place.

Chicken On The Way on 14th Street was more to my liking ... Good ole Dr Dan put me onto that place.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:58 am

johnsykes wrote: absolutely Tory all the way...always was and always will be.

Like Destro, your ability to grasp the obvious is only eclipsed by your need to state it John.

Not sure what you meant about me being the backbone of Tot's site, I was banned from there a couple of times. I mostly like Tot for his ability to call it as he sees it, the shame of it is that he could be cruel at times.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:06 pm

I got burned by Tot so many times, but laughed each and every time. I don't really think he has a nasty bone in his body. We had some pretty good banters back and forth. I don't mean to rule the roost on any page, it may seem that way sometimes. Fair in saying it's fun to tease. I love the business even from the outside. My own fault I got out of it when I did....hindsight is 20-20 I guess. I'm too old now to worry about it all.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Sorry, but Tot DOES have a mean bone. I've felt that wrath of that, and couldn't understand why he'd go there. We've met, and to the best of my knowledge, I wasn't deserving of his past posts.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:08 pm

johnsykes wrote:I did like Webb....wrote some great stuff.  Chandler....virtually, did I know you?

Believe it or not, Jimmy Webb only had one #1 on Billboard's Hot 100. Yes, it was MacArthur Park, but the 1978 disco version by Donna Summer. The original, by Richard Harris, only made it to #2 in the summer of 1968, edged out by Herb Alpert's vocal "This Guy's in Love with You". I first heard the Harris version on WLS Chicago during Sunday night after midnight transmitter testing. It was, of course, the longest song in the control room that the Chief Engineer could find.

I'm guessing here, but Chuck's lack of recognition could be explained by a comment he once made on-air when discussing his early '70s work under a pseudonym in Montreal because of a No Compete clause. Chuck said that, in those days, he did not spend the time back then "smelling the flowers", because he was fully occupied being the best Drake style Boss Jock possible. I can see that, as a Performer, your mind is fully occupied performed, and never has a chance to store the important details of your friendships. Much in the same way that, while Driving, you will not remember what you heard on the Radio if all of your mental capacity is spent navigating traffic.

Anyway, that is my "best" theory on the subject.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:33 pm

lets go down memory lane thanks to keith james
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:14 pm

radiofan- I think Dr. Dan knows every restaurant in Calgary. He has some cool history...
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:53 am

Nice blazer. What is that? Ultrasuede?
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:53 pm

I just received an email from Tottenham Man...hwe wanted to know why I hadn't invited him to my new sandbox. It told him it wasn't mine. Seems he must be getting bored with his old place too. Insulting himself would be novel.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News