How to Cover the North with Radio

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

How to Cover the North with Radio

Postby jon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:21 pm

From another thread:
skyvalleyradio wrote:CBC's current move to replace it's northern AM signals with FM also has resulted in diminished coverage north of 60 degrees. CBC should be using high- power (100 kW - 200 kW) analogue AM to cover this area.

This isn't as far-fetched as many of you might think. While the U.S. and Canada chose to limit themselves to 50,000 watts, the Havana Treaty, and its replacement, allow 250,000 watt AM stations. Mexico still has one fully operational on 900 KHz in Mexico City.

The North has long been given exemptions from the treaty rules. Including in the area of power limitations. The Local Channels (1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490), limited to 1000 watts day and night under the latest treaty, have had 5-6KW stations in The North.

I often wondered about a one to two million watt directional station on 530 KHz positioned somewhere along the 60th parallel, with no signal to the South. Two things to think about:
  1. the Yukon, NWT and Nunavit make up an area almost as large was the four Western provinces, even when you don't count the islands in the Arctic Ocean
  2. Northern Lights are a frequent occurrence and apparently kill all skywave reception, and may also produce some background noise for groundwave reception, so you need solid groundwave coverage everywhere you plan to serve
I also understand that there are ways to design AM transmitters to increase skywave propogation, so assume there must be ways to reduce it. Doing that with some sort of synchronous high powered repeaters on the same frequency may solve the problem of serving such a large area.

530 is pretty much a wide open frequency, so long as you protect CBK-540 in Watrous, Saskatchewan. But it does present the issue of receiver compatibility since some of the population being served may only have AM radios built before 530 was an AM frequency.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: How to Cover the North with Radio

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 pm

jon wrote:

"This isn't as far-fetched as many of you might think. While the U.S. and Canada chose to limit themselves to 50,000 watts, the Havana Treaty, and its replacement, allow 250,000 watt AM stations. Mexico still has one fully operational on 900 KHz in Mexico City."

In northern Europe, a number of high powered MW and LW stations running 100-200 kW are still on air. Most have been shut down in favour of FM - a much cheaper way to serve small communities. However, none of these countries face the challenge of vast regions with sparse populations, as we do in Canada's north. While it makes sense to replace the 40-watt AM LPRT's with FM signals in settlements such as Fort Simpson, Fort McPherson, Tuktoyuktuk etc, it doesn't address the issue of serving the remainder of the population with CBC's Radio 1 or Radio 2 services. Having driven Alberta's Hwy 35 as a trucker twice in the early 90's, I was amazed at the daytime coverage from CKHL High Level running 1 kW on 530 as I drove north to Yellowknife. CFYK 1340 also had good coverage. That got me thinking that high powered AM would be a great way to get daytime signals throughout the north. Now that Radio Canada Int is no longer on short-wave, I've recently mused on AM as a means of providing northern service.

"I often wondered about a one to two million watt directional station on 530 KHz positioned somewhere along the 60th parallel, with no signal to the South. Two things to think about:
the Yukon, NWT and Nunavit make up an area almost as large was the four Western provinces, even when you don't count the islands in the Arctic Ocean"

I don't think 2 million is required to do this. Multiple frequencies using 250 kW spaced strategically throughout the north would do the trick. I'd really have to do some serious mapping to figure out best locations for this. Not only would 530 be a great choice, but use of 690, 860, 940 or others is fair game. Many of these have been in use in settlements with one-time or current AM LPRT service and are now 'in the clear'.

"Northern Lights are a frequent occurrence and apparently kill all skywave reception, and may also produce some background noise for groundwave reception, so you need solid groundwave coverage everywhere you plan to serve. I also understand that there are ways to design AM transmitters to increase skywave propogation, so assume there must be ways to reduce it. Doing that with some sort of synchronous high powered repeaters on the same frequency may solve the problem of serving such a large area."

This makes for a good argument using high powered AM to provide good night coverage as well as day signal. As mentioned, this has served northern European countries quite well in the past. European companies Brown-Boveri and Rohde-Schwarz are experts at designing & implementing high powered arrays & have been responsible for building these monster Euro MW & LW signals for many decades now. Their highly complex antenna arrays are designed to deal with ground-wave irregularities and auroral-induced anomalies. There are plenty of pics on various broadcast history sights showing these magnificent antenna systems. We're talking very expensive, high-end solutions - a factor that makes this discussion highly interesting as a technical topic but a total disaster as a practical solution for the CBC. Satellite internet access or Sirius XM are available to isolated residents and mobile users alike. Still..it's fun to speculate and as more attention is focused on "saving the AM band" this is the one idea I could come up with as Canada marches on with "AM to FM flips" :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Having driven Alberta's Hwy 35 as a trucker twice in the early 90's, I was amazed at the daytime coverage from CKHL High Level running 1 kW on 530 as I drove north to Yellowknife. CFYK 1340 also had good coverage.

CFYK probably had 4KW at that time. Single stick, non-directional, with good ground conductivity thanks to the City's sewage lagoon nearby.

In 1974 when I was in Yellowknife, on non-Aurora nights, CJOK-1230 was there solid with no fading, with its 250 watts from Fort McMurray every evening, even if there was no other stations heard, other than local CFYK.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

that's amazing coverage for 4 kW! My recollection was that I could hear CFYK clearly in the daytime south of the Hay River junction, but can't remember how far. While at 1 kW CJDC Dawson Creek in the early 70's, I got occasional phone calls at night from parts of the Yukon, NWT even Alaska. CJDC wasn't even on a semi-clear frequency as it is now! These examples illustrate how well high powered AM signals would work up north. The farthest up the Alaska Hwy that I've driven is Whitehorse & I could hear CJDC in the daytime coming out of the mountains north west of Ft Nelson - approx 500 km from the transmitter. In Whitehorse in the daytime I could hear a few of the Fairbanks AMs clearly but can't remember which ones.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:39 pm

CFYK greatly benefited from propagation across Great Slave Lake to the South of the station. Yellowknife to Hay River is basically a straight shoot across the water with no land in between. Much like the way that 40 watts (CBC LPRT) gets from Ucluelet, B.C., to Coos Bay, Oregon, on 540, even today from the run-down transmitter setup that includes a long wire running kiddy-korner across the parking lot at the Docks.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm

While I realize this thread is focusing on medium wave broadcasting, I was wondering whether either Long-wave, or shortwave might work equally well?
CKZU the CBC Vancouver 49 meter band frequency seemed to have hadwide coverage in it's day. Would this type of service be too costly?
I was thinking of the Sackville Shortwave antenna farm focused for domestic service instead of international broadcasting.
I am no engineer so the logistics of setting up TX and antennas are beyond me. I'll be interested in knowledgeable responses to these thoughts.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:26 pm

jon wrote:CFYK greatly benefited from propagation across Great Slave Lake to the South of the station. Yellowknife to Hay River is basically a straight shoot across the water with no land in between. Much like the way that 40 watts (CBC LPRT) gets from Ucluelet, B.C., to Coos Bay, Oregon, on 540, even today from the run-down transmitter setup that includes a long wire running kiddy-korner across the parking lot at the Docks.

Yeah, but we're talking about "us enthusiasts", not JQP who wants to listen with perfect quality.

Setting up a high-powered low-frequency mediumwave or even longwave transmitter in the Far North would be cost prohibitive. Can you imagine the electricity cost... even if such a source were available? Where is there any region north of 60 degrees with "cheap" hydro?

The Russians just in the past month or so killed most of their super-powered LW transmitters. They couldn't afford them.

Mini-FM's are relatively inexpensive to operate, and easily fed by satellite downlink. Think Sirius for personal feeds. The North also in major terms has very little "rural" population so LP FM covers a community. Possibly/probably the MacKenzie corridor might pose more of a coverage question with just FM but how far do you go to serve "everyone"?
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News