Sad To Have Heard The New Sound Of The CBC

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Sad To Have Heard The New Sound Of The CBC

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 am

Listening to 'Tonic' tonight on CBC-FM about 9pm.
On comes a straight voice 60 second ad, for Chevrolet Cruz!

The world has gone to hell in a handbasket, officially.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Sad To Have Heard The New Sound Of The CBC

Postby pave » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 am

Even as the commercial load increases, the "faithful" - the "believers" - will continue to claim the CBC can still pass through the eye of a needle.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:36 pm

This is, in effect, The Second Return of Commercials, to CBC Radio. What is now CBC Radio One had a short run of commercials beginning around 1970. I haven't checked to find out exactly when they were stopped before that, but there is a Rawhide (Max Ferguson) aircheck that probably dates from the 1950s, where he makes fun of the fact that some shows had commercials.

That first return to commercials, on the then-CBC AM network, marked the beginning of some decent ratings for the first time since the advent of television. As It Happens (Barbara Frum and Harry Brown) and This Country in the Morning (Peter Gzowski) starting the ball rolling, then Harry moved to do Afternoon Drive on CBL Toronto, and local programming started getting ratings, too.

Commercials won't necessarily kill CBC Radio Two. Though we live in a far different era.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Have you listened to the CBC 2 morning show? It's just the same old music and content all the commercial stations are producing. Why should taxpayers have to support that? Maybe some of the other CBC programming, especially the national stuff, deserves government support, but when it's obviously a show designed to compete with private radio (like the CBC morning and afternoon shows) it's just not fair.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I miss "This Country in the Morning. Peter kept me company on my 110 KM commute to work everyday,and I came to respect and love the guy. What a legacy.

Barbara Frum and Mr. Brown were two other KILLER talents.
We lost Ms. Frum far too early.

She opened doors for women on Radio and TV, and deservedly so.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News