Dan Russell's Sportstalk on CISL 650

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Dan Russell's Sportstalk on CISL 650

Postby kal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Had occasion to catch Dan's show on CISL last night at 11 pm. Aside from the weak signal here in the Coquitlam area I found it to be interesting radio. I was struck by the block of advertising at the top of the hour. It seemed interminable. And it included a car dealership other than Dan's longtime sponsor over at 'NW.

Yes, Dan was in good form. I initially didn't recognize Lee Powell's voice. The two of them make for a good team.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Dan Russell's Sportstalk on CISL 650

Postby YesterDaze » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:32 am

I noticed another top-of-the-hour spot break that ended about 10:06 .. Could the format be built to allow for potential affiliate stations to carry news on the hour if they wish? The segment that started at 10:06 went much longer without commercial interruption than what CKNW did with Dan.

I too am finding this show somewhat more engaging than the Team 1040 competition. The addition of Lee Powell seems to have invigorated Dan.

But is he already repeating parts of the 9 pm hour between 11 and 12? The Morrison chat between 9 & 10 Tuesday night was promoted to run after 11 as well.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 am

Last night after 11pm I could have sworn that he repeated John McKeachie in studio from the first night. It was a long infomercial for McKeach's gig at some financial outfit.
If Russell isn't prepared to show up for three hours a night and deliver fresh content he's not going to survive. The problem is that Russell needs a boss. Someone to kick his ass. He didn't have it at CKNW and he doesn't now that he's on his own. It could be his downfall.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 pm

The combination of numerous reruns along with sponsored "guest appearances" will very quickly shorten the shelf life of Sports Talk.
How long till Dan starts filling hours with reruns old Jim Robson inteviews for the umpteenth time? At some point there will be sparks
between him and Lee and Lee will leave in a huff.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am

Morrison led off the show last night at 9 pm. So one interview played 3 times in the opening week.

For somebody who claims to be refreshed, and does actually sound it, that is not an auspicious start.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Last night they didn't kick into live mode until 10pm after the Canucks game. It shows a lack of respect for the audience to keep running repeats. If Russell doesn't want to do three hours of fresh content then he should have Lee Powell take up the slack. The post game show with Russell was great when Brooke Ward was involved but it wasn't very disciplined last night. They veered off on other topics instead of focusing on what listeners wanted to hear.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News