It was 40 years ago today that CKVN became CFUN again.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

It was 40 years ago today that CKVN became CFUN again.

Postby hagopian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 pm

It was 40 years ago tonight, that CFUN came back.

It took Darryl B. 19 calls - before someone said " CFUN is BACK" - and won 5 grand. *The hype for the changeover, voiced by Michael Cleaver (nice job) is here on the site.

The Memories are a little hazy, but I can say with alacrity, it was one great place.
**I am also happy to report that Chuck McCoy is making steady progress, after surgery.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: It was 40 years ago today that CKVN became CFUN again.

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:57 pm

When they put up the new CFUN sign out front on, or near to, that historic day in 1973, somebody mis-read the plan-a-gram and the number 14 wound up on the bottom of the vertical stack instead of on the top where it was intended to be.

I guess someone informed management / accounting how much it would cost to change it back around and an executive made an executive decision which was:
"@#$% it. Looks fine to me".
And so it stayed that way for nearly 20 years.

..or so the legend goes. Others maintain the 14 was put on the bottom intentionally so that the actual call letters were were higher and more prominently displayed. Still another story is that they tried it with the 14 on top but, symmetrically, it just looked off-balance. I don't know the truth but I like the first story best.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Just got an email from Firedog with his photoshop version of what the CFUN sign should have looked like ...

And in case you've missed it, there is a link to the audio of the CKVN back to CFUN call change in today's Broadcast History section.

Radio west Broadcast Histiry Sept. 30

The aircheck features the history of radio 1410 voiced by Radio West's Mike Cleaver who worked at CHUM at the time.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Just listened to the 'hype for the changeover' from the audio vault.
Anyone know who the voice was (halfway through) over the tymp?

Was that also Mike voicing the remainder spelling out the rules etc.?
Typical (great) CHUM type production...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:28 am

Greetings Everyone,
Heard the audio of CKVN switching to CFUN with the history timeline of the station. Really enjoyed all of it! I think I heard it back in 1973 too but did not bother to tape it and had forgotten a lot of it. Really liked Mike Cleaver's announcing on it. Good job!!! You know this really shows how some Vancouver radio stations really attempted to generate a lot of excitement and community participation in the past! Sure sounds good compared to what has happened with radio in very recent years in Vancouver! C-FUN has done some great stuff in the past. I think the current station on FM that uses the CFUN calls does not even come close to what C-FUN 1410 did for all those years. CKVN 1410 was an interesting experiment in broadcasting to for Vancouver. Anyway just thought I would comment on this. Thanks for posting this, interesting Vancouver radio history!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News