Barry O'Donnell Retiring

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Barry O'Donnell Retiring

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

I hope you were lucky enough to work with Barry O’Donnell over the years.

Barry was a very talented, hardworking, kind and patient team leader.

We would all walk through walls if he asked us to.

One class act - and I am proud to say I worked with Barry for a LONG time.

Have the BEST retirement, Barry. Thanks for being such a mensch. (*Boy, people like Barry don’t come along that often, man, how lucky was I?)
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Barry O'Donnell Retiring

Postby Joe Leary » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 pm

You said it Tom. Barry O'Donnell was and IS a very, very good radio man and a hell of a guy.
I just hope that he was afforded the dignity of walking away by his own design.
As has been documented, this has not been the summer of dignified departures within that building!
Joe Leary

Postby hagopian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I was rather hacked to see that you and many loyal and talented folks got the 'treatment'.

This really has been terrible. Change is inevitable, but....
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Rob Collins » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 am

As Barry's first hire into the award winning sales team at 14CFUN back in 1981-1996, it was and still is one of the most rewarding experiences of my broadcasting career.
Barry was a genuine leader and inspiration to everyone in all departments. One of his biggest strengths in Radio Sales as a Manager was letting people do their work and achieving/exceeding budgets.
The year I won the CHUM's President ring in Sales was the year Barry taught me that "it's idea's that sell Radio". Take a great idea to a client that would increase sales targeted to their needs, then watch how the power of Radio advertising makes the "cash register ring". Yup, become an unpaid member of your client's staff list and watch the dollars roll in.
It worked.
He loved making Sales people successful. He loved sharing his talent for building long term relationships. He gave more than he ever received from those around him with his unique style of humor and leadership.
He worked hard at bringing the strengths of Radio advertising to the business community. It paid off in so many ways.
I worked hard at getting Barry to lower rates for my clients while he stayed the course in getting Big Bucks for each campaign booked.
I consider him one of the very best General Sales Manager's ever to work on the West Coast. He has a huge fan base in Toronto as well who have been attracted by his style.
Great golfer, basketball player and a love for fast cars and fine dining.
All the best to one of my best friends ever in your retirement Barry.
"Hey before you hand the keys back in, think you can do something to add a few more bonus commercials or perhaps drop the rate a wee bit?"
Didn't think so.

Regards Barry,

Rob Collins
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Well put, Rob.

Rob, in case you have not had the pleasure, is one HE** of a sales professional, who made CFUN hum, under Barry's leadership.

I was so lucky to work with quality people like Rob, Barry and so many others, during my long run at CFUN.

Thanks for the eloquence, Rob.

I miss the people that we worked with, that I came to like so much.

What a place!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Rob Collins » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Tom, Thank-you for your kind words.

It was Afternoon Drive Jocks like you who made selling 14CFUN a pleasure along with Barry's sales guidance.

I can recall many an afternoon listening to that high energy you had for driving the "Final Tubes" on the AM side of that 50kw plant while driving from appointment to appointment.
You guys where the absolute best in the business. Nothing will ever take that away and it will always be special to me.
Working with you on remotes always meant success.

Such great On-Air talent in the early days of the 80's selling the new format was pure gold.
Wayne Stafford would occasionally encourage the Sales Staff to monitor the other Stations for leads.
I found that a challenge.
How could I leave the fabulous sounds of 14CFUN to spend 15-20 minutes listening elsewhere for a lead when it was easier to "shake the bushes" and find a new client by prospecting.
My dial was permanently locked on 1410 enjoying the jocks and the music.

All the best to you Tom and again, Thank-you for your wonderful contributions in making Canadian Radio such a huge part of our daily lives.
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Gosh, Rob. Thanks - you have NO IDEA what that note meant to me. They were days to be treasured and I do - everyday.

I will never forget your kindness.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Barry,

I'm a bit late but you were and are a great person. I enjoyed seeing you at Glen Chalmers roast and I enjoyed working with you at CFUN. What a sales staff in those days. You, Mark Wilson, Ted Cowie, Wayne Stafford and others.

Enjoy your retirement - I know you'll resurface somewhere soon.

All the best

Rich Elwood
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News