What's It Going To Take...?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: What's It Going To Take...?

Postby pave » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:12 am

Alert: Old Dude Blithering

The older I get – and I am getting older – I find I am less concerned about the state in which radio finds itself, often without any awareness it is in a nasty or injurious state at all. While this is a frustrating situation for me, it is a tragic one for radio.

Over the last decades I have been a witness to the abject failure of radio to become aware of its own gradual but definitive demise, and the reticence of audiences and advertisers to participate with the medium are ongoing.

An irony is that radio continues to be a valid advertising choice, but the numbers of those who are accepting the premise are ever dwindling. Radio is no longer being touted as an exciting and cost-effective medium to reach consumers.

Radio has yet to acknowledge it is an emotionally-based medium that be made even more effective by engaging the emotional capacities of audiences – as opposed to straight content advertising that make questionable appeals to the rational components of consumers.

Meanwhile, I have a suspicion, that being: Radio does not have a history or propensity to pay much attention to other electronic media. Although pervasive and continuous in their own experience, owners and managers seem to be under the assumption the other media are having little impact on markets that are not simple made up of a flavours-of-the-day phenomena, so to speak.

That these alternate media have been permeating the landscape for over 30 years down not seem to have much impact. These media are hardly flash-in-the-pan or passing fad components. They are, indeed, here to stay and they are sucking the life’s blood out of radio. Radio has taken no steps to ascertain the relative impact of these other electronic media and it has certainly taken no steps to counteract the influence of them, either.

The morose reality of this circumstance is that there exists a number of modifications radio can make to generate a stout response to the effects of all the other media. Radio cannot claim they have been made prisoners and are doing the best it can to counteract the debilitating results of the influx of the other media.

The manacles with which radio finds itself to be struggling are only those that are self-made. Radio has been doing itself in for decades. Whether these exercises are being conducted within an environment of glee and satisfaction is unknown to me.

Further, and since I have a substantial amount of radio history in my experience, I have always had a great deal of difficulty in understanding how contemporary owners and management can have any hope of positively impacting their audiences and advertisers-bases with any of the milquetoast strategies thet have been applied for some decades now.

They have painted themselves into a corner by applying so many of the already disproven techniques and programming strategies – all of them having failed utterly. These folks are prime representations of the old adage that: People find out what doesn’t work – and then do it harder. Were it not tragic, it would be comic.

But again, this could all be no more than an old dude’s gibberish. I just noticed I got a little drool on my shirt.

Please note: I am inviting reader comments to be sent to my email address (below).
Ronald T. Robinson
info@voicetalentguy.com
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:06 am

Beware: The Ides

If only we can get through March 15th, we might still have a future. The story goes that making it past the Ides of March is a good omen, particularly for those caught up in superstitious nonsense or more spectacular conspiracy theories. (By the way, how is that chem-trails thing working out?)

I only mention this as radio seems to continuously be running on superstitions and institutionalized traditions that came about as the result of some serious, but erratic in-breeding. Radio’s ownership and management seem to be curiously populated by a number of cross-eyed, toothless banjo players. And all they know is that one tune.

Regular readers are, however, encouraged to take heart. The 15th of March was the day that Julius Caesar got whacked by the Pastavazoola Mob. Beyond that, there wasn’t much else going on.

What is more significant to aficionados of radio are those strategies that have wormed their way into the medium and have become traditions – unchallenged and unassailable. And the coming or going of the Ides of March have nothing to do with our predicament.

While radio does seems to be clawing its way back to a least a portion of its pre-Covid revenues, it has taken no steps to increase income beyond those tawdry sums.

The last few years have taught me there is more than enough delusion, disinformation, disinterest and doltage to last anybody a lifetime of drudgery and disappointment. Yes, Mildred, there be dummies out here. What tricks us is: These dumbos are sincere! Gets us almost every time. These are folks who will look at us and say, “I am not here.” We will consider that for a moment and may come to the conclusion: “By golly, they might have something there.”

Although they have become universally accepted truisms, it is still hard to come up with those individuals that will go on record to state: “Interminable spot clusters are good. Suppressed and restrained presenters are better for everybody. Content-heavy commercials are better than spots cut along an emotional bias.

That all these and other strategies make for anemic and boring listening experiences does not seem to factor in – if they get any consideration at all.

But then, I have to remind myself we are, to a large degree, dealing with the same folks, many of whom claim that masks and vaccines are part of a greater seditious, leftist manipulation perpetrated on people in order to steal their freedoms. That these same people have rescinded their capacity for critical thought hardly enters into the conversation.

Indeed, there was a time when I thought how a reasoned discussion of the art and science of broadcast communication – with completely new elements - would have been welcomed and cherished with some excitement and vigour.

The plotters, though, are still lurking among us and are lurching from one studio to the next, brandishing the lash and threatening ugly and painful fates to transgressors. Challenges are still being met with uncontrolled rage. If only we can get past the 15th.

Please note: I am inviting reader comments to be sent to my email address (below).
Ronald T. Robinson
info@voicetalentguy.com
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun May 15, 2022 3:09 am

Unassimilated News Is Still News

I openly admit and confess, I have been terribly lax in my duties. My milquetoast explanation/rationalization for my laxity was that I was patiently waiting for radio to move on at least some of my suggestions and begin to publicly revel in the stupendous improvements made to audience and advertiser participation as a direct result of the applications of the tenets.

From my perch, revamping the total linguistic approach to radio seems like a natural adjustment allowing for much more convenient access to unsuspecting prey for the benefit of any self-respecting eagle with his wits about him. It’s just a matter of slightly adjusting his flight lines and swooping in for easy pickin’s.

Right now, radio seems more like the bird that got zapped and brain-fried on an open electrical line and is now dive-bombing on clumps of dirt – nosing into the ground and flopping around amongst the bushes, Bunnies are murmuring amongst themselves that, perhaps, the formerly pervasive eagle threat is, pretty much, over.

Since my patience has been neither noted or rewarded, it is incumbent on me to, once again, raise the freak flag and continue yammering away. Plus, as stations are no longer singing the Covid Blues to the same extent as before, the revelations and gratitude for returning revenues are being offered up as so many hosannahs to the highest. (God blesses the FM band and praise Jesus in the interim my fellow brethrens and cisterns.)

While I am required to acknowledge these outfits do have some influence, I also confess to monitoring a couple of “praise” stations and, given the combination of horrible linguistic practices, the flaunting of toxic psychologies and philosophies – hawked as truth claims - bracketed by maudlin and whiny music selections – even with excellent production values – I do find myself wailing and gnashing my dentures to a alarming degree.

It is true, meanwhile, that my tortured lamentations and the ongoing encouragement of a complete overhaul of radio’s linguistic approach has fallen on deaf ears and thicker skulls. Station ownership and management have taken the position of: “If it ain’t broken – don’t fix it.”

Upon further examination, this seems like a practical, reasonable and safe position to hold. What they don’t realise is: It is broken, and is only being held together by a combination of spit, chewing gum, baling wire, duct tape and the evidence that none of their peers seem to be too worried either.

It also needs to be pointed out that radio station owners are made up of herd and/or pack animals. Wherever an alpha male or female leads, there go all the rest – even if it’s off a cliff. Trying to get a claw or hoof-hold on empty space as they are hurtling into the abyss with exclamations from the herds or packs of “Whose bright idea was this, anyway!?” doesn’t seem to make a whit of a difference.

I am unaware of any evidence from anyone or anywhere that suggests a few managers are considering – at even a base level -the need to address the whole communicative aspects of what many of us do for a living.

Radio practitioners would be expected to acknowledge that what they do is: talk on the radio. However, were they also asked to explain how, specifically, would they deliver these talking behaviours, they would be utterly stymied to produce any cogent responses. This hardly bodes well for the short or long-term health and prosperity of the business.

Ronald T. Robinson
info@voicetalentguy.com
pave
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News