DJ Murray David Collins died on March 28th

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

DJ Murray David Collins died on March 28th

Postby jon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Murray David Collins is a name a lot of Western Canadian radio people know. Because Murray was at a lot of different radio stations before retiring to Victoria after his last gig at CKDM in Dauphin, Manitoba.

Other radio stations in his career include:
  • CKDA Victoria
  • CKRD Red Deer
  • CKRC Winnipeg - 1974
  • CJGX Yorkton - 1971
  • CJYR Edson - 1980
  • CFCP Courtenay
And, is it just me, or does this picture not remind you of a Jean Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise....with hair?

His last post on Facebook was March 17th. Born July 24, 1950, Murray died on March 28th, and had previously suffered a heart attack.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: DJ Murray David Collins died on March 28th

Postby jon » Sat May 14, 2011 7:09 pm

RW member Ryan Water provided this 1970 photo from a school yearbook:

jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat May 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow .. is Desi Hidson on the first row the same Desi Hidson who worked in production at NW/CFMI in the late 70's then went to CKLG/CFOX?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sat May 14, 2011 10:45 pm

I'll check with Des
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sun May 15, 2011 6:32 am

Apologies if I've already posted this one -

http://bigbry.files.wordpress.com/2009/ ... ollins.mp3

Murray David Collins at CKRC Winnipeg

And the related blog posting - http://bigbry.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/ ... -the-hair/
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun May 15, 2011 11:33 am

So, if MDC was born in 1950 and the yearbook picture is dated 1970; what's a 20 year old doing in high school?
Must be more likely the Radio Club from 1967-ish.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 15, 2011 11:41 am

Good point! I just checked on the birth date, and you can see it for yourself in the original obit. below.

So, that leaves the yearbook. I'll have to wait for the RW member who sent me the yearbook pic to respond to that.

COLLINS, Murray David
July 24, 1950 - March 28, 2011
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Murray David Collins who died suddenly at the age of 60 on Monday, March 28, 2011. Murray will be lovingly remembered by his three children, Rhiannon Collins of Red Deer, AB; Julia Collins of Medicine Hat, AB and Justin Collins of Dutchess, AB; two grandchildren, Jayden Collins and Xavian Collins, as well as many friends. Murray had a love of music and as a result worked as a radio announcer for 30 years in a career he was passionate about. He was involved as a volunteer firefighter for several years and also enjoyed being Santa Claus at various malls over the Christmas season. Murray also had the opportunity to run with the Olympic torch this past year and felt extremely honoured and proud to be a torch bearer. Murray had an incredible sense of humour that could put a smile on someone's face and brighten their day. He will be missed terribly by his friends and family that were all so lucky to have him in their lives. Persons wishing to express their condolences to the family are asked to contact them through e-mail at juliac@telus.net If we could have one lifetime wish, One dream that could come true, We'd ask with all our hearts, For yesterday and you. We love you Dad!!

ref. - http://www.legacy.com/can-victoria/obit ... =150098158

One postscript: nice to see CKDM remember him:
http://730ckdm.ca/2011/04/former-ckdm-a ... ns-passes/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun May 15, 2011 11:58 am

Desi replied to me this morning...SAME Des Hidson.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun May 15, 2011 12:59 pm

> Factoid > Desi worked with the "Toad" to paint to CKVN in 1973.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Ryan Water » Sun May 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey MDC fans...Royal Watson here (aka Ryan Water). I seem to have raised a few questions about the Murray pic I submitted. I'm sitting here with my 1970 edition of Tev Voc High School-Winnipeg-Horizon year book. I cannot explain why Murray (being two years older than me) should be in Grade 10. He was in room 1-334 and I was in 1-307. Perhaps he was repeating a grade or two? Thats quite a few years to be behind. Or, maybe he came in as a mature student so he could take the Theatre and Broadcasting course we were both in so he could make an aircheck? Soooo many years ago that I just can't recall the details. Last time I saw Murray was 1975. He came by to see me at CKCK Regina. He was at our sister station CKRC-Wpg but something happened and he was looking for work. I made arrangements for him to see PD Doug Alexander the next day but no sign of Murray. After that we lost touch. I do have another pic of Murray-it's a room 334 class pic. I see in that same 1970 yearbook one Ron Desi Hidson Room 326 (Grade 12) The caption reads-Favorite saying- "Now listen, and listen good." Ambition-To meet John Mayall. Fate-Meeting 1910 Fruit Gum Company. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to post a pic here. Suggestions?
Ryan Water

Postby newsjunkie » Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 am

I was lucky enough to know Murray, expecially after his heart attack about 1 year before his death. He really did grab hold to life and enjoyed it, and I am glad he was able to go back to Alberta in January to visit his family.
newsjunkie
Advanced Member

Postby dez » Sun May 29, 2011 11:24 am

so it comes to this from a brief passing long ago. i recall giving Murray use of the auxiliary production studio at cjob where i was working after a day of classes in theatre and broadcasting at the technical vocational high school in winnipeg.

Murray was there to get into radio, it was my third year. i think he was working before the school year ended, right after he finished his demo.
dez

Postby SheckyGrey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 am

MDC was the voice of CKQR Castlegar for two or three years in the mid-eighties.
SheckyGrey

Return to Radio People History