Cullen Vs Wasserman

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Cullen Vs Wasserman

Postby cart_machine » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Evidently, one John Francis Cullen went on the air one evening (or perhaps several) and told his audience how much easier it was to write a newspaper gossip column than ad-lib between records. A gentlemen named Jack Wasserman (who I don't think was too familiar with "wasser") took exception and the end result was this column, from the Sun of June 22, 1956.

Cullen gets in a shot at Tiny Elphicke at CKWX, and has the usual '50s put-down of Elvis.

cArtie.

Cullen Takes Whack at Jack For Nasty Cracks at Radio
By JACK CULLEN
To settle an argument over who has the softest touch, columnist Jack Wasserman and C-FUN disc jockey Jack Cullen have traded jobs. Today's "About Now" column is Cullen's effort to prove that any fool can write a column. Wasserman will attempt to prove that it doesn't require much talent to be in radio either, when he takes over Cullen's "Owl Prowl" between 9 and 10:55 p.m. tonight on 1410.
Dead Air—Let's admit it right now. I have enough trouble speaking in English, let alone writing it! But let's see how this guy Wasserman makes out tonight when he switches to my business. . . . I'm just one radio man, but I'm sick and tired of self-appointed critics (are you listening, Jack?) who try and tell the public what they ought to be hearing on radio shows. I've been spinning discs for nigh on these last 10 years and I'll be darned if I know what the people want to hear. Maybe Wasserman will find the solution with HIS type of music. . . . . Speaking of music brings up the subject of Elvis Presley although I don't know why it should. It's gratifying to note that the craze has finally broken in some parts of the States. In Kansas City only 2,000 people turned out to a 6,000-seat building and the man who sings from the pelvis was cancelled out of St. Paul due to lack of business.
Static—On a radio kick, this seems like a good opportunity to get off a few beefs and praises at the business that's kept me in rice this past 10 years. . . nice thoughts about Bob Bowman of 'LG for starting me off in '46 and nicer thoughts to Bill Rea who helped me and a good many others to bigger things (money included) . . . A curt nod to a certain station manager who beefed to the Fowler commission about disc jockeys. Because you don't have any personalities on your staff perchance, T. E.? While in this mood, a skunk cabbage award to CJOR and Vic Waters for letting us forget that he's still the best D.J. in town . . . Another cabbage to C-FUN for their repetition in music (I should talk) . . . And another one to 'NW for too little news too often.
Station Brakes—Things I'd like to see . . . More Class A entertainment in town. Where are the big name acts that used to play here when the Palomar was in business? . . . More radio salesmen like Tosh McDonald . . . Something new on the menus at drive-in restaurants . . . Chesterfields, smoking allowed, and beer at the movies . . . More old records on radio . . . A certain radio columnist doing a whole column without mentioning 'OR . . . Theatre Under the Stars UNDER THE STARS.
Sign Off—Trends in the music business indicate that the 10-inch long-play is becoming a thing of the past. Most of the majors have stopped producing them . . . But it's a boom year in records. Columbia has already reported a 58 per cent increase over last year. I should be making them, not selling them . . . Watch for a raft of name bands to hit town next fall. The same fellow who is booking Bill Haley and his Comets is behind the plan, namely me . . . And just before leaving the air, I'd like to thank the editor of The Sun for correcting my spelling.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Re: Cullen Vs Wasserman

Postby jon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm

The next day, Mr. W. had this to say:
Blank Voice - After a two hour stint juggling records and Elvis Presley fans on Jack Cullen's "Owl Prowl" Friday night I wish to report that there must be an easier way of making a living. I just haven't found it yet...
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Jon, thanks for giving me some faith that anyone is reading these old things.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:33 am

cArtie, we ALWAYS read your stuff !
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History