Doug Short

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Doug Short

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Doug Short - tell me more

title renamed Doug Short from Who?
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 pm

The Doug Short Memorial Book Award for Announcing
is handed out each year to a student from BCIT.
Looks like he worked for CJVI Victoria at one time.

That's all I could find!! :shock:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Doug joined BCIT in 1968, immediately becoming a popular instructor with his new charges. He set high standards and maintained high expectations of his students. Doug worked at BCIT until his retirement in 1986. He was also very active in ham radio, rod and gun club, and fine tuning a variety of vehicles.

Doug was a committed and caring faculty member, with a love of radio and teaching. He passed away on February 12, 2002.
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Doug Short

Postby Dave Alexander Payne » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 pm

A lot of students would complain that Doug was too tough, too particular, too much of a perfectionist.

Well, he was all of those things! And I am glad for that.

I enjoyed his announcing classes at BCIT and found him to be an inspiring mentor and teacher. :cheers:
Dave Alexander Payne

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Doug Short not only taught us how to be broadcasters - He encouraged us to be the best we could be. Doug would take the time to help an individual work through the challenges that were slowing him/her down.

My challenge was reading copy with High magnified glasses - I had to keep the copy close to my face to see the text. which blocked the path between my mouth and the mic. Together we e figured a way to work past the challenge.

Doug was not only fine instructor but he made himself available to be a friend. A genuinely warm human being.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:41 am

Doug's lessons are permanently burned into my brain...

Key on... Pot up.... Pot down... Key off...

;-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Doug had a Siamese cat "Fut Fat Sami". He would get a extra serving of poached sole from the staff dining room, take it home and hand feed it to his little friend. The cat would sit on his lap or radio table listening to the hiss and crackle of his equipment. He loved that cat. When he had to have her put down, he was devastated. He told me after the fact that Sami brought a neighborhood stray home shortly before she got sick, and that cat replaced Sami in his life.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:49 am

I suppose I knew deep down that Doug would have passed by now, but it's still sad to read. I remember the annoucing classes, and his willingness to help with peculiar words i encountered in "live reads" I also remember a class called "Awareness" which had me doing bizarre things like memorizing the manufacturer of the urinals in the mensroom. (American Standard) and counting stop signs.

He had some great stories, taught me more about mic technique and being a communicator than I can even think of.. It's become a part of me.

On the otherhand. My wife was a student of his and is more inclined to remember him correcting her on how she pronounced the name of her HOME TOWN. :) (Tsawwassen)

Thanks Doug
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Fillinguy wrote:correcting her on how she pronounced the name of her HOME TOWN. :) (Tsawwassen)

I was at CHQM when then-Station Manager Bill Bellman did his daily Perspective editorial that explained that: how "Tsawwassen" was said was changing at the station.

Or, for a more obvious example, if you were born in Thunder Bay, that doesn't give you the right, on air, to call it Port Arthur or Fort Francis just because that was what it was called when you were born there.

In the course of writing material for people, I often run into the "My favourite teacher in Elementary School taught me that you can't write it that way." The English language changes over time. In Elementary School, one of my textbooks, written and printed in Canada, was old enough that it used the spelling "aeroplane", which was apparently the official spelling a decade or so before I started school.

As a trivia note, the extreme example I'm aware of where someone used the argument "when I learned to drive, you were allowed to do that" was a co-worker's elderly mother who argued with the Police Officer and refused to pay the ticket when she made an illegal left turn, on the grounds that the No Left Turn sign had been installed since she got her driver's license (around 1930), which gave her the right, for life, to make a left turn there.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:15 pm

aerodrome is the official name for an airport I am told -

I still call it an airport
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 am

I like aerodrome! I think I'll start using that.. perhaps not on air though.... :lol:

I think while it's common now, if you said ss-wassen in 1984 you would have gotten some peculiar looks I use it to annoy my wife.. 'cause it's what loving husbands do :)
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History