Happy Birthday Jim Robson

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Happy Birthday Jim Robson

Postby Alan A » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Happy 80th Birthday to Hall Of Fame Broadcaster Jim Robson today.

One of the classiest class acts to ever grace the Vancouver airwaves.

On the other hand, in the classless department, a huge thumbs down to NW's nighttime Aussie. How dare you use a cut up copy of Jim Robson's "Hi to all the shutins" on your show several times a week. You don't even know who Jim is, you're nowhere in the same league as him. All you have in common is the radio station. Get a life and do something original or get on the next Quantas flight home!
Alan A

Re: Happy Birthday Jim Robson

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Jim (and his wife Bea) are absolutely great folks. Happy Birthday, Jim.

Rob Robson, Jim's Son, was one of our engineers at CKKS-FM - and is now living in Taiwan - doing tours as a Bowie "homage"...Fauxie Bowie. He is also one of our favourite people.

I actually worked with Jim when I was hired to do the PA at Canucks games...in 1986. I did 6 games, and then moved to Nova Scotia. Jim would phone me and give me holy heck when I blew something. Talk about pressure! He was one of the best to ever trod the boards and is a delightful fellow.

One fine man. One fine Family!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Jim was always a pleasure to work with. One of the all-time best Radio and TV PBP guys in the NHL.

Happy Birthday Jim!

A couple of years ago Jim gave a box full of airchecks from various parts of his career. These will be posted on teh BC Radio History site in the near future.

As for the clip that NW continues to use, it's likely something that was left in the computer when Sportstalk left the building.

I don't really see any reason for using it, but then again, it's NW.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 pm

One of my favourite people EVER in my radio career, Jim Robson is at the top of my idol list. Had no idea that Rob Robson was a Bowie fan... I'd love to hear or see more of that! Worked with both of them and enjoyed every minute. But the highlight of my time with Jim was the "PingTenFootVolleyHandMinPong" games we had in Jim's office almost every day. That's a whole nother story. Happy 80th Jim! :occasion4:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:45 am

Hi Jim :cheers: say Hello to Bea - the highlight :groovy: of any visit of mine to the coast

and happy 39th and may you have many more visits to the hometown in Sask.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History