Does Taiwan Still Remember Lan Roberts?

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Does Taiwan Still Remember Lan Roberts?

Postby jon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:06 pm

I know it sounds like a stretch, but here goes. The late Lan Roberts may well have had a lasting influence on Taiwan thanks to his time on the air there.

My favourite local Chinese restaurant always runs a Taiwan radio station that they stream off the Internet as background music. You occasionally hear the IDs.

Every hour or two, they play one English language song. Invariably by the Carpenters. Today, it was "Yesterday Once More".

Lan's favourite singer of all time was Karen Carpenter.

I guess I'll never know for sure. Sure miss you, Lan! Hard to believe that it has been 8 1/2 years since his death.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Does Taiwan Still Remember Lan Roberts?

Postby hagopian » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Lan was my hero.

I met him, and hung with he and Pat O'Day, Phil Mackesy and Red Robinson, about 2 year before Lan's passing. We were going to rebirth KJR, and called it SIR.com - Seattle Internet Radio.
It was too early, and we would have lost our pants.

In the end, it was spending time with Lan that was so treasured. He was as nice as I imagined he was, and more. I think of him, 8 and a half years later, with fondness and more than a little affection.

I listened to him and thought he was a master. "Clyde, Clyde, The Cow's Outside"....Phil Dirt.
Oh man. In Victoria, KJR sounded like a local station. They would even bring the KJR Basketball team up and play St. Louis College.

Thanks for reminding us of "the man".

Too many FINE Brothers and Sisters have left.

The last RPM was sobering.

Give your radio pals a hug.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: Does Taiwan Still Remember Lan Roberts?

Postby jon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:42 pm

One of the people that Lan mentored in his early days in Texas, before he changed his air-name to Roberts, was Bill Young, who later went on to PD KILT for 15 years.

Bill died in the last few days. His bio, "Dead Air, The Rise and Demise of Music Radio", is a great read.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History