Joe Easingwood passes at 75

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Joe Easingwood passes at 75

Postby radiofan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:12 pm

June 29, 2013 09:40 from Teddy Jenner
Longtime C-FAX broadcaster Joe Easingwood has died. He was 75

Easingwood died shortly before 1am Saturday peacefully at Victoria Hospice.
"If they ever write a book on the history of radio in Victoria, under the chapter 'legends' you'll find Joe Easingwood," says former C-FAX owner Mel Cooper. Cooper is the one who convinced Easingwood to come to C-FAX in 1981. He remained a dominate fixture on the Victoria airwaves until his retirement in 2010.

"I'm going remember Joe as a very kind guy," says Cooper. "We should remember Joe has having brought more information, knowledge, opinion... in other words he was a thought leader. He got people thinking."

Easingwood had a career that spanned over half a century. He started as a boy sweeping floors and reading community announcements at Vancouver's CKNW in 1948. He also worked at CJVI radio in Victoria where he started Joe's Notebook. The book version of Joe's Notebook sold tens of thousands of copies with the profit donated to C-FAX Santa's Anonymous.

The City of Victoria declared a Joe Easingwood Day in 2009 to mark his 55th year as a Victoria radio personality.

CFAX 1070 will air a Tribute to Joe show Monday from 9-Noon hosted by Frank Stanford with plenty of guests sharing their stories.

If you would like to share your thoughts and memories of Joe, feel free to call us at 381-6397 or leave a comment on out facebook page

http://www.cfax1070.com/News/Top-Storie ... asses-away
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Joe Easingwood passes at 75

Postby hagopian » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:16 pm

I dreaded this day. I spent a shank of my youth in Victoria and yes, we bought Joe's notebook.

I have to agree with Mr. Cooper (*another of my best all time bosses - at CFAX) - that we shall not see the likes of Joe Easingwood again.

I hope he will be remembered as a great lover of his City and also a great talent of a man. We lived on the same street for many years.

My condolences to the Family. I am in shock.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History