Jack Wiebe passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Jack Wiebe passes

Postby Russ_Byth » Wed May 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Longtime Rogers chief engineer Jack Wiebe has passed away.
Those of us who worked with him, are better for it.
Rest In Peace my friend.

http://www.burquitlamfunerals.com/book- ... etails.php
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Jack Wiebe passes

Postby hagopian » Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

All of us that worked at 2440 were lucky to have Jack Wiebe in our presence.

His quiet and nice way of dealing with us crazed jocks, was something to behold.

I was a better broadcaster for having Jack Wiebe take care of our team.

Rest well, Jack. We thought the world of you.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I echo every sentiment that Russ and Hagopian put forward. A helluva nice man... almost always with a smile on his face. My sympathies to his family.
I have one of the original "On Air" lights from 1275 Burrard Street... thanks to Jack. It's mounted on the wall over my bar, and comes on every time someone turns on the light in the bathroom. I always think of Jack whenever I see it lit. :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed May 22, 2013 11:44 pm

I think he built the board that was in the WX control room on Burrard. I remember when it was installed with the outboard mixer for the cart decks.
A very nice man....may he rest in peace.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Sun May 26, 2013 2:36 pm

... in addition to so many other duties, jack wiebe and his team maintained the production studios when i worked as a producer at rogers' ash street broadcast centre and the studios were top notch. the engineers were solely responsible for acquisitions of new gear and luckily jack knew exactly what to purchase and he outfitted the studios with great equipment. it was an immense pleasure working in that studio ...

... the one piece of gear that jack brought in that i appreciated most was a high-quality cassette deck, a denon i think it was. that might not sound like a big deal, but actually it was. part of the process of selling radio ads involves giving the clients a copy of their spots on cassette after they're produced and as a producer you want the spots to sound as good as possible for the customers. accordingly, i was thrilled when jack came into the studio with a brand new cassette deck one day ...

... the other day i was thinking about radio station operations, trying to determine in my mind who are the most important personnel at a radio station, and ultimately i came to the conclusion that the engineers are most important. yes the talent is crucial too, but it's the engineers who are responsible for getting the signal out to the public and without them there would be nothing. you could look at it this way: the engineers are the ones who craft the instrument that the talent makes the music with ...
radio guy
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History