Remembering Daryl B

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Remembering Daryl B

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:20 am

This is always a sad and reflective day for many of us here. Many of our old friends continue to join the honor role but, few stand so tall as our old comrade Daryl B, who passed too soon on this date in 2001. Originally from the Radio Folk page from Facebook, for those who haven't viewed it there, I'd like to re-post here the only video of Daryl I've ever managed to find.
Fred Latremouille and Daryl B. together on CBC TV's "Where It's At" Oct 29, 1968.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1doYS7rnac
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Remembering Daryl B

Postby jon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am

Glad to see it was more than just a 1 second "Hi, how are you?" glimpse of Daryl.

Daryl has so many claims to fame. One I like to remember is that he did the intro voicing for CKLG's only #1 ratings (over CKNW) event: the History of Rock and Roll.

Then, when Daryl passed away, reelradio.com ran that audio clip, and I got an e-mail from a lady I'd known at UBC Radio, who later became Daryl's wife, for a time. At the time of Daryl's death, she was working for CFUN.

Around the same time (Daryl's death), CHUM was still running Oldies, and ran one or two of Daryl's old CHUM airchecks, with all the music in it, as part of their programming.

Daryl was also one of the very few DJs who was heard on both CKLW and CHUM.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am

"Daryl B" was one of Vancouver's finest top-40 jocks. Wherever you are Daryl...stay outta trees! :headbang:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 am

skyvalleyradio wrote:"Daryl B" was one of Vancouver's finest top-40 jocks. Wherever you are Daryl...stay outta trees! :headbang:

Perfect!!!
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

NS and more than a few around here, worked with B.

We became fast friends over the years, or, as close as one ever got to this outwardly gruff, but ultimately sweet guy. NS might remember we had B. hosting Burton Cummings at a Bar on Broadway (long gone now) and it was one hell of a scene. B. worked at CHUM, while I worked at CFTR, and we were actively discouraged for hanging out 'with the enemy' - on pain of dismissal. We didn't care.

I can still see his blue Van and his little dog, Buffy.

He was a complex and very talented man. His death, on the news of Rick Honey's passing, will haunt me, the rest of my days.

B. = thanks for being my friend, and wherever you are - like the man said - "stay outa trees'.

I think the Bimini went broke when B. left CFUN.

Ask NS to tell some stories. His memory is as sharp as a tack - and BTW - NS was one of the best people I ever met in the business and we sure had some fun together. Most of which we cannot cannot talk about here. ;-)
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History