The great Bobby Hughes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

The great Bobby Hughes

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Robert Thomas (Bobby) Hughes
born Feb. 19, 1923, died June 27, 2011 Bob was predeceased by this first wife, Nora, and his second wife, Karin. He leaves behind his children; Bonnie (Juerg), Greg (Cathy), and Linda (Donald), and his grandchildren; Tommy, Helen, Mike (Katie), Matt, Jordan, Jae, Dylan and Adrian. Bob spent his childhood on the family farm in Saskatoon, then moved to Vancouver with his parents, Catherine and Thomas where he attended King Edward High School with his life long friend, Jack Cullen (Boy Disk Jockey). Bob had a long and varied career, working as a radio copywriter, disk jockey, freelance writer for TV and radio, supporting actor and bus driver, but singing was his favourite job and the "pops" of the 30's to 60's was his passion. He belong to the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Quarter Century Club and was a life long member of ACTRA. The family would like to thank the staff at Shorncliffe Extended Care, Sechelt for making Bob's seven year stay there a happy one. No Service by request. Donations can be made in Bob's memory to the Sunshine Coast SPCA.

And even when I'm old and gray,

I'm gonna feel the way I do today,

'Cause you make me feel so young.

Thanks to the Vancouver Sun and John Ashbridge for the picture and obit
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: The great Bobby Hughes

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Actually, that would be John Francis Cullen (boy disc jockey) :king:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Bobby was a regular on the owl Prowl from the days of the Howe Street Social Club (Jack's 2nd floor studio next to the Texaco station at Davie and Howe) and later at the studio in the back
of Jack Cullen Music in the Brentwood Mall. I guess Sev Morin must be the last of the Jack Pack to be on the right side of the grass.

Personality radio at it's best!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History