Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Bob McCord

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 pm

Just learned of Bob McCord’s passing -

https://broadcastdialogue.com/cisn-fm-f ... signs-off/

Here’s Bob’s last show on 630 CHED Edmonton -

https://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=29838

Rest in peace
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Bob McCord

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:39 am

Thanks to Bruce Atchison for Bob's last show on 630 CHED Edmonton which is posted above.

Bob had two significant eras of influence on listeners and future radio broadcasters, including the now retired Bruce Bowie, Ed Bain of Victoria's 100.3 the Q! and Chris Scheetz of CISN FM, during his time in Edmonton radio.

One where he was pulling a near 50 share in weekday afternoons from 3 to 6 pm in the early to mid-'70s on CHED while playing Top 40 hits and a second as not only the founder of Country music station CISN FM but also as its first morning show host, leading it to one of the most successful launches in Canadian radio. viewtopic.php?p=12863236

For a time in the mid-'60s CHED's on air lineup saw former CHAM Hamilton GM Don Kay on from 1 to 4 pm, followed by Mike Marshall hosting from 4 to 8 pm, and Bob McCord from 8 to 12 Midnight. All of them very talented gentlemen.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Don Stevens » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:21 am

I arrived at CHED in 1966 (as Don Hamilton) and immediately realized that Bob McCord was the most talented person I would ever meet in radio. He had worked in Dallas and Houston and had a wealth of information for all of us CHED Good Guys to tap into.

He was a mentor to me and a lot of others at the radio station. What a great cast of characters in those days. Wes Montgomery, Don Kay, Al Anderson and Russ Campbell. I had replaced Mike Marshal who was recruited by the BIG 8 in Windsor.

One Christmas Eve Bob was working his drive home shift, (no voice tracking in those days) and he had a bar set up in the control room. I mean he had every bottle of booze you could think of. Mostly scotch, that was his drink of choice. Keith James (Sr.) our program director came in the control room, sees about 8 of us in there drinking, sees the bar set up and says.."What the hell is going on here?". Bob looks him in the eye and says, "A flagrant disregard for the rules sir!". Keith turned around and walked out. That was that, nothing more was said.

Bob was fearless when the mic was on …and off.

I will cherish my Bob McCord memories forever.
Don Stevens

Postby Mannie Buzunis » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:39 am

I had the good fortune to be recruited by Bob from KY 58 Winnipeg, to help launch CISN as his News Director and morning News reader. Bob was, as many might remember, CISN's first morning man in addition to the owner. He then handed off the morning show to Wes Montgomery. I still bear the wounds working mornings, back to back, with two of the greatest. Aside from his great talent, Bob's can-do attitude was infectious and certainly one of the primary reasons for CISN's success. Tons of great memories from that era, many of which will remain in the vault, courtesy Bob and the CISN Crew. Love to all from Vancouver, Mannie Buzunis
Mannie Buzunis

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:11 am

Cam Tait of the Edmonton Sun posted a memorial tribute to Bob - https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... dead-at-82

The RadioWest archives has a copy of a "Drake" style show intro, voiced by then CKLG PD Frank Callaghan, from Bob's time hosting afternoon drive at 630 CHED - https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... show-intro
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History