CKDA - Morning show of the fifties - HELP

A look back at various radio stations

CKDA - Morning show of the fifties - HELP

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:42 am

http://www.bcradiohistory.com/Pictures7/radioshow.mp3

This thread is for people who remember CKDA in the time of Dave Hill and Gordon Reid. I received the above clip and the letter below this morning and hoping our faithful readers will help out with some of the announcers and possibly the date of the broadcast (even if just in years)

Gordon Reid was the Number 2 person at CKDA for many early years. He was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne, travelled with a stock company...Edmund Harvey Productions..."Bachelor Husband." Started in radio at CJOR to CFRN to CKNW and then to CKDA. He co-hosted "Housewives Holiday:" on CKDA for several years, also emceed a public participation show called, "Meet The People." For a time he announced a 30 minute evening show of classical music called, "Treasure Chest."

Dave Hill - CFRN Edmonton circa 1934-41; CKMO Vancouver 1941; staff announcer CJOR Vancouver 1942-47; program manager/morning host/co-host Meet the People CKDA Victoria 1950s

Bernie (?) Ryall

Dear Sir,
I'm writing to you, hoping you might be able to help me with a bit of Canadian broadcasting history.
I work as a music librarian at the Norwegian Institute of Recorded Sound, a record collection of primarily analogue material. I was cataloguing a recent addition to our collection when I came over a curiosity. Among the regular music recordings, there was a 78-record, without any information on the label, containing what seems to be an excerpt from a Canadian radio program. My guess is it's from around the 1950s.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of Canadian radio shows is rather limited, so I'm in need of some help identifying the station, the show, the persons involved and an approximate timeframe for this clip. While I was searching the Internet, I came across the webpage http://www.bcradiohistory.com/ , which led me to you. I was hoping an expert, such as yourself, could recognize something an uninitiated foreigner like myself could not.
From the clip I'm able to discern some possible names: Dave Hill and Bernie Ryall (?), which might point to the station CKDA, and possibly the radio shows Housewives holiday or Meet the people, if my diggings through the Internet is anything to go by.
If you could take the time to listen through the clip I'm attaching, and be able to recognize anything, or could refer me to someone who might be able to help me, I would be sincerely grateful.

Yours faithfully,
Sissel Marie Vatne
Musikkbibliotekar / Music Librarian
Norsk Lydinstitutt Stavanger / Norwegian Institute of Recorded Sound
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: CKDA - Morning show of the fifties - HELP

Postby Victoriaradio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am

The program is "Housewives Holiday" which was broadcast on CKDA in Victoria from the McDonalds Furniture Store, the sponsors of the show. The date of the broadcast is around 1950. The show had a drop in audience who came to the furniture store to hear the music, observe the interviews,and participate in the contests etc. The show aired from 9:30 to 10M and aired live. The interviewer in this segment is Gordon Reid who was the General Manager of the station. His sidekick is Dave Hill who was Program Manager and was billed on the station's propaganda as, "The friendliest voice in Canadian Radio." Bernie Ryall is the organist. This show ran on CKDA for about 10 years.
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Postby Victoriaradio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 am

Housewives Holiday aired Monday to Friday- on Saturday it was called Children's Holiday with yours truly as the emcee.
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 am

Just the answers I was looking for!!!!

If you scan those pix at a higher resolution AN I might be able to use them

Jack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 pm

And I hope RadioWest will be given full credit in your report! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 am

Bites - radiowest and bcradiohistory are joined at the hip

and we are hip
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 am

Victoriaradio wrote:Housewives Holiday aired Monday to Friday- on Saturday it was called Children's Holiday with yours truly as the emcee.

The Housewives theme continued into the 1960's with Doug Tayllor hosting "Happy Hustler for Hurried Housewives" and previous to him Al Jordan.

Dave Hill was Program Manager into 1963-64ish.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:02 am

gwp wrote:"Happy Hustler for Hurried Housewives"

what a neat programme title - think it would go over well in this modern era
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History