CFUN's New Home January 17, 1959

A look back at various radio stations

Re: CFUN's New Home January 17, 1959

Postby jon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am

Only a bit off topic: when I was at CHQM in 1971-72, the receptionist was a dead ringer for Station Manager Bill Bellman's wife, as she had looked about 20 years earlier.
jon
Advanced Member

Jack Sayers

Postby jon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:51 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:Jack Sayers was a salesman at CJCA/CIRK-FM when I was there in the late '70's, early '80's.
He didn't really talk about work very much and I didn't know he'd been at CFUN.

A little looking and I've turned up a pretty amazing career for Jack Sayers.

Here is what I have:
Sales Manager CJOC Lethbridge 1945;
Commercial Manager CKCK Regina 1945;
Sales Manager CKWX Vancouver 1947-1950s;
Station Manager CFUN Vancouver 1959;
General Sales Manager CJCA-AM/CIRK-FM Edmonton 1970s/1980s.

If you can fill in anymore, it would be appreciated
jon
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Jack Sayers was the local sales manager when I was at CJCA ( '62 to '67) . Ken Goddard was the national sales manager. I probably go Jack's title wrong but he was there.
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

WX on Burrard had a similar building layout with a studio block in the centre and offices around the perimeter. WX had a larger footprint and much higher ceilings though. There were two heavy, soundproofed doors that went into the "inner sanctum". One morning at 3am I went to get a coffee from the lunchroom and was met by a thick cloud of smoke when I opened the door. I quickly closed it and my heart started pounding. I was relieved when I ran to the other door and found it smoke free. It turns out that someone had left a window open in the lunchroom allowing curtains to dangle out. A dumpster right underneath the window had caught on fire which set the curtains ablaze. I could already hear the firetrucks as I walked around to investigate and after a few blasts with a hose it was all over.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm

tuned wrote:WX on Burrard had a similar building layout with a studio block in the centre and offices around the perimeter. WX had a larger footprint and much higher ceilings though. There were two heavy, soundproofed doors that went into the "inner sanctum". One morning at 3am I went to get a coffee from the lunchroom and was met by a thick cloud of smoke when I opened the door. I quickly closed it and my heart started pounding. I was relieved when I ran to the other door and found it smoke free. It turns out that someone had left a window open in the lunchroom allowing curtains to dangle out. A dumpster right underneath the window had caught on fire which set the curtains ablaze. I could already hear the firetrucks as I walked around to investigate and after a few blasts with a hose it was all over.

Had I been in your shoes tuned, the first thing I would have done was to call the NW newsroom. I'm sure they would have sent you the $10 cheque for newstip of the week just because of the location of the fire. In the early seventies, I spent a few months at one of the stations out in the Valley. Anytime someone would call us with a tip, I'd then call NW with the info, then pass it along to one of our news guys. The $10 cheques supplemented my joke of an income nicely.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History