chrx vancouver on-air schedules

A look back at various radio stations

chrx vancouver on-air schedules

Postby bryguy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:51 pm

hi there; just wondering if any of you remember the short lived chrx 600. if so does anyone remember the on-air lineups from 1988 to 94? just curious.
thx
Bryguy
PS did bob morris do middays?
bryguy
Advanced Member

Re: chrx vancouver on-air schedules

Postby cart_machine » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:49 pm

bryguy wrote:hi there; just wondering if any of you remember the short lived chrx 600. if so does anyone remember the on-air lineups from 1988 to 94? just curious.
PS did bob morris do middays?

When the station started, Tom Lucas was doing mornings, Bomo was in mid-days and Joe Leary was doing afternoon drive. Bob hadn't hired a full staff so for awhile CJOR operators played music and carted liners (no computer then) until Gary Alexander came to do evenings and Sam Vega to do all nights.

Yes, for you kids reading out there, radio stations actually had live people on overnight at one time.

The original newspeople were Jim Goddard and Jill Robertson. Katie Rebak did traffic. All were CJOR leftovers.

The Luker was replaced by the ill-conceived duo of J.B. Shayne and Daryl Hebert and it's all really a jumble after that. Someone like Phil Kushnir or Gerry O'Day might remember.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 pm

cart_machine wrote:The original newspeople were Jim Goddard and Jill Robertson. Katie Rebak did traffic. All were CJOR leftovers.

cArtie.

"Leftovers"... Yeah well... That would be one way of putting it....
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 am

There might have been a pleasant "homegrown"tang in the air the first time I heard CHRX, but it was certainly a typical grey-hued Grey Cup Sunday afternoon. 1989, wipers-a-wapping, searching for a good signal on the way to the wet coast.. Briefly,west of Sumas,on scratchy old AM of all things ""CHRX at soething DOT something,.something else on cable. Very different from the usual stuff..and then,suddenly the signal boomed in, sounding like 1970 had taken over the studio, glued the doors shut and said "Bust out the bong while we mess with your head!"

Over the the next hour and a half, It was as if they were programing a jukebox just for me. . Nearly every selection seemed to be a song I'd play on a station if it were mine...songs Id forgotten I'd enjoyed, rediscovered and played by jocks who sounded like they were honestly having fun being there.First time I'd been excited about a Vancouver station in years,and I guess it it took me back to the days of the free-formish CKVN when it tried to rock with former boss-jocks speaking "with you, not at you" and slipping in the occasional album edit.

Yeah, they had some vicious repetition of sides later on, and yeah the good feeling faded..but for while..what a treat. "Desert Island Disc"in the evening was a nice touch,hosted by(Gary Alexander? I came too late to experience the saga of Joe Leary and The Rocket,but was across the hall during RX's last incarnation as a jukebox,before it faded away and the Bridge launched. A very cool station for a little while..and that Linda Ronstadt/ two-tone CHRX logo? NIce!
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby hazmat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:05 am

Right on, BR! What a great format when they first launched. You're exactly right ... it was
so fresh and different from the alternatives that it was really something to get excited about.
I had never made the connection to CKVN, or even CKLG-FM before, but yeah, there was
something in common between them at their best. Probably that feeling that the air staff
were really enjoying themselves. They did a lot of things right ... too bad that CFMI
thought the "classic rock" slogan was catchy and decided to hijack it for themselves.
I thought they did a dreadful job of it, but it didn't matter... RX was toast, but
apparently didn't know it right away.

I recall the decline was long, slow and painful. The experiment with shock radio must
have been the absolute low point, with remotes from peeler bars, and Hebert making
"jokes" about women menstruating on the breakfast show. It was a mercy killing when
they finally put it out of its misery and morphed into Christian Rock... anything had to
be an improvement.

But those halcyon days in the beginning were really something!

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby bryguy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:00 pm

thanks for the info guys! Didn't dave pratt have some kind of sports talk program on rx? I remember watching something on bctv in 94 when I was about 10 years old regarding the switch from classic rock to christian. kind of crazy that the last song played was stairway to heaven.
bryguy
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:36 pm

John Beadoin was programming (CFOX... last I heard was at ICBC being their 'corporate spokesperson' from time to time) .

Gerry O'Day was doing evenings, Desert Island Classics.

Gerry? I still got that aircheck of you from 1982ish at CFOX doing the Monday Midnight METAL Power Hour....
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 pm

bryguy wrote:thanks for the info guys! Didn't dave pratt have some kind of sports talk program on rx?

Afraid so.

When the station signed off, and my memory may be off here, Joe was doing mornings, Gerry was on mid-days and Mike McCoy handled drive until Pratt went on the air. Steve Darling was Pratt's op and read the scoreboard.

The station went through a bunch of morning shows. When J.B. and Hebert was cut, Joe did the show with Rochelle Dentry, who had no real air experience other than some traffic reports at CKO. When she died, Russ Hamilton moved from afternoon drive to work with Glen Lamont and when they didn't pan out, Joe went back to do mornings with Janie Ferris and then on his own when Janie went on to other things.

bryguy wrote: I remember watching something on bctv in 94 when I was about 10 years old regarding the switch from classic rock to christian.

10. Damned kids.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 pm

BossRadio wrote: ""CHRX at soething DOT something,.something else on cable.

90.9. The "dot" was Joe Leary's idea. He stole it from a Seattle station.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 am

Tom Lucas did the first ever morning show on CHRX, and, Jim Bennie read the last ever newscast...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History