CFYC April 1922

A look back at various radio stations

CFYC April 1922

Postby cart_machine » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:09 am

Here's the first week of radio columns from the Vancouver World. Unless I go through the stax at the library, you're stuck with a partial column for one day.

The paper revealed the records it was playing on the air. Mercifully, none contain the "n" word, but there are racial numbers that wouldn't see any airplay today unless loaded with historical context. There are some Cal Stewart country discs; I presume they're recitations.

The station doesn't appear to have used call-letters yet.

This early in the radio industry, there is still talk of "receiving stations" at home instead of just a plain old radio.

We've tossed in a World cartoon from April 1. Cell phones would do the job today.

I believe all the OCR errors have been fixed.

Saturday, April 1, 1922
RADIOITIS IS EPIDEMIC IN THE CITY
Vancouver is suffering from an acute attack of "radioitis." When The World radio broadcast was first started there were 110 licensed amateur radio operators in Vancouver and 200 in British Columbia. Now so great has been the demand for radio outfits that Divisional Superintendent W. Howard of the Radio Telegraph Service reports that he has completely run out of application for registration forms, and that it has been necessary to send to Ottawa for further supplies.
At the present time all amateurs must apply to the department of naval affairs at Ottawa before it is possible for them to operate, but so great has been the pressure on the department since "radioitis" made its appearance that Supt. Howard is endeavoring to get permission to formulate a scheme that will permit of licences being issued locally. This will enable amateurs to get into action earlier than if it was necessary to await a decision from Ottawa, and all amateurs who are as yet unlicensed are urged to get in touch with Divisional Superintendent W. Howard, Radio Telegraph Service, Victoria, as soon as possible.
Friday night saw another big night on The World's radio broadcast. Although a mishap to the receiving apparatus made necessary the cancellation of the radio concert in the First Presbyterian church, radio fans who were "listening in" from other stations received the full programme prepared for the concert. Mayor Tisdall, whose voice was received very clearly at New Westminster, Victoria and other points, spoke of the great advantages the radio would be to outlying districts in the dissemination of news, and then, at the request of Marshal Joffre, he expressed the thanks of the veteran soldier for the splendid reception given him by the school children of Vancouver. The massing of the school children in the various school yards and along the rout by which the marshal passed appealed very strongly to the hero of the Marne, and Mayor Tisdall stated that it was at the express wish of Marshal Joffre that he delivered the message of thanks to all the children.
Mr. J. S. Gordon also spoke briefly, and a number of specially selected pieces were played by leading musical aggregations. Announcement was also made that the radio concert would be given at a later date.

Tonight at 9 o'clock radio fans listening in to The World's radio broadcast will have an opportunity of hearing Mrs. R. G. Lamb, late soprano with the Metropolitan Opera Company, in a special rendition of "Bonnie Sweet Bessie, the Maid of Dundee".
Mrs. Lamb is singing in conjunction with a showing of the film "Bessie the Bonnie Briar Bush" at the Langley Theatre, Langley Prairie. A big receiving set installed there has been receiving The World's radio broadcast nightly, and Manager Timms made the arrangements for the sung [sic] to be sung during the filming of the famous Scotch picture.

WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST

Today another big concert and news programme has been prepared, and the usual schedules, commencing at 2 p.m., and continuing until 10 p.m., will be given. A special programme for Sunday has also been prepared, and will consist solely of musical numbers.
Today's schedules are as follows:
2:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.—Late cables from The World's direct European cable.
Developments in strike situation in U. S.; late local news and stock ex-exchange [sic] quotations; musical numbers.
3:30 to 4:00 p.m.—Latest wires from House of Commons, Ottawa; news bulletins and flashes; local news; special afternoon concert.
5:30 to 7:00 p.m.—The World's special dinner time radio concert by famous concert singers and operatic stars; selections by premier musical organizations.
8:00 to 10:00 p.m.—Children's Bed-Time Story hour; late news flashes and local news; specially requested musical numbers and radio concert.
The programme for today and Sunday will consist of selections from the new April release of His Master's Voice records. All these records are on The World radio programme through the courtesy of the David Spencer, Ltd., phonograph department, and can all be obtained at that store.
The programmes are as follows:
SATURDAY'S PROGRAMME
"Wanna" (Fox trot) "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not" (Intr. "A Doll House") Medley Fox Trot Club ..... Royal Orch.
“Mesne Solennelle” Crucifixus ..... Rossini
"Hortense" (Medley Fox Trot) "Never Mind'' (Fox Trot) .... All Star Trio and Orchestra
"Tell Me, Daisy" ..... Reginald Werrenrath
"Catalina" (Fox Trot) "Look for the Silver Lining" (Intr. "Whip-Poor-Will" from the musical comedy "Sally") Medley Fox Trot ... H. Thomas Trio
"If I Forget" .... Schumann-Heink
"I Ain't Nobody's Darling" (Medley Fox Trot) ("Bring Back My Bonnie To Me"—"O Dra Golden Slippers"—"The Quilting Party") .... All Star Trio and Orchestra
"In Bluebird Land" Fox Trot .... Benson Orchestra
"Carolina Rolling Stone" .... Charles Hart-Elliott Shaw
"There's Silver In Your Hair" ..... Charles Hart
"Virginia Blues" (Fox Trot) "Venetian Love Boat" (Fox Trot) .... The Benson Orchestra
"Song of Love" ... Lucy Isabelle Marsh-Royal Dadum
"Serenade" ... Lambert Murphy and Orpheus Quartet
"Cutie" (Medley Fox Trot) (Intr. "I've Found a Bed Among the Roses") ... Paul Whiteman and orch.
"Lonesome Hours" (Fox Trot) ... Paul Whiteman and Orch.
"Rock-a-Bye Baby" "My Trundle Bed" ..... Merle Alcock
"My Mammy Knows" "Angel Child" Fox Trot .... The Benson Orchestra
"April Showers" "Leave Me With a Smile" ..... Charles Harrison
"Three o'Clock in the Morning"—Waltz "Lola Lo (Fox Trot) .... Joseph C. Smith and Orchestra
"Cradle Song" .... Sophie Braslau
"Variations on a Mozart Air" (Ah! vous dirais-je maman?"—Should I Tell You, Mother?) ... Galli-Curci
SUNDAY PROGRAMME
"National Emblem" "Garde du Corps" March Arthur .... Pryor's Band
"Stolen Kisses" Fox Trot ..... Diamond Trio
"Ho, A Voice" ..... The Melody Men
"My Wild Irish Rose" ..... J. McCormack
"Laughing Vamp" Fox Trot .... Martucci's Orchestra
"Humming" Fox Trot .... Rega's Orchestra
"Goodnight, Little Girl" "Goodnight" Song ..... George Hamlin
"Wedding Blues" .... Diamond Trio
"Hula Blues" ... Van Epp's Quartette
"Sally In Our Allay" Song ... E. de Gogorza "Rose of My Heart" .... H. T. Trio
"Grieving for You" (Fox Trot) "La Paloma" Song ........ L. Bori
“Swanee Rose” (One Step) "Daisy Days" (Fox Trot) ...... Melody Men
"Home Again Blues" .... Dixi Jazz Band
"Crazy Blues Medley" (Fox Trot) "God Bless You, My Dear" Song .... G. de Luca
"Cronning" "Poor Me" Fox Trot .... Melody Men
"Chanson de Juin" .... E. Caruso
"A Baby in Love" "Who'll Be the Next One" ... Coleman's Orchestra
"I'll Build a World" "In the Heart of a Rose" Song ..... Frances Alda
"Answer" (Medley Fox Trot) "Maizie" (Fox Trot) ..... All Star Trio
"Blue Jeans" "Najo" Fox Trot ... Vanderbuilt [sic] Orchestra
"Pagliacci-Ballatelli” Song .... L. Bori
"Caresses" "Annie, My Own" Fox Trot ....... Melody Men
"Toddle" Fox Trot .... Benson Orchestra
"My Man" Fox Trot .... Paul Whitman [sic]
"Rose of My Heart" Song .... J. McCormack
"All By Myself" (Fox Trot) "Moonlight" (Fox Trot)—Coleman’s Castles by the Sea Orch.

Monday, April 3, 1922
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Another successful radio concert was given by The World's radio fans had the opportunity of hearing Mrs. R. G. Lamb, late soprano with the Metropolitan Opera Company, who sang "Bonnie Sweet Bessie, the Maid of Dundee." Mrs. Lamb sang in conjunction with the filming of “Beside the Bonnie Brier Bush" In the Langley Prairie theatre, and on Sunday word was received from Seattle, Port Angeles and other points along the coast that her singing had been greatly enjoyed.
In addition a number of news bulletins and flashes were sent out during the broadcast, and today a new programme of selections from the gramaphone [sic] department of the David Spencer Co., Ltd., will be played, in addition to the usual news bulletins.
2:30 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.—Late cables from The World's direct European cable; late local news flashes; stock exchange quotations; telegraphic bulletlns and music.
3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.—Latest wires from House of Commons, Ottawa; news bulletins and flashes; late local news; special afternoon concert.
5:30 to 7 p.m.—The World's special dinnertime radio concert, with selections by famous concert and operatic stars; specially requested numbers and late news flashes, foreign and Canadian.
8 to 10 p.m.—Children's bed time story; late news flashes and local news flashes and local news; radio concert with special numbers for Rotarians.
PROGRAMME FOR CONCERT
Special Records from David Spencer, Ltd., Phonograph Department
"Officer of the Day March" "King Cotton March" ... Pryor's Band
"Whispering Hope" Duet ... Alma Gluck and Louise Homer
"Coral Sea" "My Mammy" Fox Trot ... Diamond Trio
"Molly Mclntyre" "It's a Grand Old Song, Is Sweet Home" ... Billy Williams
"Now and Then” "Make Believe" Fox Trot ... Rega Orchestra
"Father O'Flynn" "Chip of the Old Block" ... Ruthven McDonald
"I Hear You Calling Me" .... John McCormack
"Colonel Bogey March" "The Contemptibles March" .... Miro's Band
“Breakfast In Bed On Sunday Mornin" "My Bonnie Bonnie Jean" ... Sir Harry Lauder
"All by Myself" "Moonlight" Fox Trot ... Coleman’s Orchestra
"A Dream of Your Smile" "Sweet Bells of San Jose" ... Lewis James
"Home to Our Mountains" (Trovatore) Duet .... Homer and Caruso
"Rosie" (One Step) "Beautiful Annabelle Lee" ... Vanderbilt Hotel Orch.
"Liars." or "My Uncle's Farm" "How Mother Made" the Soup" ... Golden and Hughes.
"Ain't We Got Fun" "Scandinavian" Fox Trot ... Benson's Orchestra
"Preacher and the Bear" "Bake Dat Chicken Pie" ... Collins and Harlan
"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" ... John McCormack
"Uncle Josh In a Barber Shop" "War Talk at Pumpkin Centre" ... Cal Stewart
"Sweetheart" "Baltimore Buzz" Fox Trot ... Blake's Orchestra
"Say It With Music" ... John Steele
"Nobody's Rose" .... William Robyn
"Laughing Song" ... Klauser
"Turkey In the Straw" "Russian Rag" Piano Accordeon ... Pietro
"Tuck Me to Sleep In My Old Kentucky Home" "Bundle of Joy" .. Regal Quartette
"Sal-o-May" ... Smith's Orchestra
"Wabash Blues" ... Benson's Orchestra

Tuesday, April 4, 1922
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
With a receiving set installed in their optical parlors at 615 Hastings Street West, the Brown Optical Company is one of the first firms in the city to install a radio for the amusement of the people using the store.
"We are catching everything you send and your modulation is excellent," telephoned a member of the firm during Monday afternoon's broadcast. Several customers of the firm also "listened in" on the radio, and all the afternoon the stream of radio enthusiasts entering and leaving the store was very noticeable. Among them were a number of visiting Rotarians, many of whom are seeing radio in action for the first time during their visit here.
Today another big broadcast will be sent out at the usual hours, with a concert programme provided by the David Spencer, Ltd., phonograph department. Today's schedules are as follows:
2 to 2:45 pm.—Late cables from The World's direct cable service. News bulletins and stock exchange quotations. Special music.
3:30 to 4 p.m.—Latest bulletins from Ottawa. Today's market quotations. Special flashes over the wire from eastern points. Music.
5:30 to 7 p.m.—The Daily World’s special dinnertime radio concert with popular songs and race selections.
8 to 10 p.m.—Children's Bedtime Hour story. Late news flashes and bulletins and local news. Specially selected programme of music from selections given below by courtesy of David Spencer, Ltd. phonograph department.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
“Love Bird" (Fox Trot) "Alabama Moon'' (Waltz) ... Martucci’s Orchestra
“Molly" Song ... R. Werrenrath
"Im a'Lonesome" (Fox Trot) "Kiss-a-Miss" (Waltz) ... Diamond Trio
"Love Will Find a Way” ... Vera McLean
"My Baby's Arms" ... H. Burr
“Broken Moon" (Fox Trot) “I Lost My Heart" (Fox Trot) ... Smith’s Orchestra
"Tobermory" "Wearing Kilts" ... Sir H. Lauder
"Moving Pictures at Punkin Centre"' .... Cal Stewart
"Old Country Fiddler" ... Ross Taggart
"Na-Jo" "Blue Jeans" Fox Trot ... Vanderbilt Orch.
"Campani a Sera" .... E. Caruso
"Last Day of School" "Uncle Josh's Dance" .... Cal Stewart
"It's You" "Yoo-Hoo" Fox Trot ... Imperial Dance Orch.
"Down Texas Way" "I Know Where the Flies Go" ... Billy Jones
"Just Because" .... Van Epp's Orch.
"Say It With Music" ... Raderman's Orchestra
"Peggy O'Neil" Song .... Billy Jones
"Only One Pal" Song ... Lewis James
"Jablerwooky" (Fox Trot) "Sunshine" (One Step) .... Scott’s Orchestra
"A Dream" Song .... J. McCormack
"I'm Old But Awfully Tough" "Uncle Josh Joins the Grangers" ... Cal Stewart
"Just Like a Rainbow" (Fox Trot) "Sweet Lady" (Fox Trot) ... Metropolitan Dance Orchestra
"Country Fair" ... Cal Stewart
"Widow Dooley" .... Miss J. Spencer
"Lady Billy" “Sally” Fox Trot ... Smith's Orchestra

Wednesday, April 5, 1922
WORLD RADIO GAVE YOUNGSTERS JOLLY BED-TIME STORY
This is the report that has come in from a radio fan in Kitsilano, who has been "listening-in" on The World radio broadcast since Its first day. "It is getting better all the time,” he says, "and it is coming in far stronger and better than any of the others along the coast that I have been catching. We thoroughly enjoy all the concerts, and every night lately we have a group of the neighbors in. The radio is a great little friend maker. I know people on our street that I never even heard of before, and it is all through The World’s radio broadcast."
On Tuesday night another of the specially selected concert programmes was given by The World’s radio service, together with latest news bulletins and cable flashes from home and abroad.
Today a similar programme will be given, adhering to the following schedules:
2 p.m. to 2.45 p.m.—Latest cable news from abroad giving latest developments in Old Country labor disputes and the Irish situation. Morning’s stock quotations from Vancouver and New York stock exchanges. Special musical programme.
3:30 p.m. to 4 p m.—Latest reports from House of Commons at Ottawa. News bulletins and stock flashes. Musical numbers.
6.30 to 7 p.m.—The World’s radio dinner-time concert, including numbers by Caruso, Galli-Curci and other famous artists.
8:10 p.m.—The Children's Bed-time Story.
9:10 p.m. to 10 p.m.—Special concert of musical numbers specially requested by The World’s radio fans. News bulletins received over special wire.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
CONCERT PROGRAMME
(By Courtesy of Phonograph Dept. of David Spencer, Ltd.)
"Take Me" "In Old Manila" Fox Trot ..... Harry T. Trio
"A Little Bit of Heaven" "Mother Machree" Song ... Chas. Harrison
"Oh! Me, Oh I My" "Learn to Smile" Fox Trot .... Paul Whitman [sic]
"Drowsy Head" .... Shannon Trio
"Wandering Home" ... Crescent Trio
"Good Times" "Arabia" One-Step .... Henri's Orchestra
"The Village Gossips" "Uncle Josh Buys An Automobile" ... Cal Stewart
"Tea Leaves" "In a Boat for Two" ... Coleman's Orchestra
"Mother, I Didn't Understand" Song ... Lewis James
"Down at the Old Swimming Hole" Duet ... Chas. Hart, Lewis James
"Ti-O-San" "Remember the Rose" Fox Trot ... Raderman's Orch.
"Irish Stories" "Darky Stories" ... Walter C. Kelly
"Margie" (Fox Trot) "Broadway Rose" (Waltz) .... Waldorf Astoria Orchestra
"Nice People" "Oh Dear" Song ... Billy Jones
"Somewhere In Naples" "Bring Back My Rose" Fox Trot ... Metropolitan Dance Orch.
"Uncle Josh and Aunt Nancy Visit New York" "Uncle Josh On a Street Car" ... Cal Stewart
"Could I" Song ... E. D. Gagorza
"Pretty Miss Virginia" (Waltz) "Toodles" (One-Step) ... Van Epp's Quartette
"Marching Song of French Soldiers" ... E. Caruso
"Teach Me" "Round the Town" Fox Trot ... All Star Trio

Thursday, April 6, 1922
RADIO FANS ASK FOR OWN FAVORITES
With Vancouver and the whole province of British Columbia still suffering from an acute attack of “radioitis," and with The World broadcast still being received by all radio tans along the coast, the radio-telephone has come into its own. On all sides interested amateurs are installing radio sets, and the calls that are made on the Transcanada Radio-Vox Company and the David Spencer Company, Ltd., necessitate a lengthy waiting list for a few days.
On Wednesday another big programme was sent out over The World’s radio broadcast consisting of all the latest cable, telegraphic and local news, and a specially selected programme of musical numbers. Through the courtesy of the phonograph department of the David Spencer Company, radio fans can choose their own programme. All that is necessary when a special piece is required is to telephone the phonograph department of the big store. And a few minutes later the selection asked for will be broadcasted. Already several radio fans are taking advantage of this offer, and several numbers sent out on The World's broadcast on Wednesday night were specially requested.
Today another big programme has been arranged, and will be sent out on the following schedules:
2 p.m. to 2.45 p.m.—Late cables from Great Britain and Europe with latest developments in the Irish and industrial situations. Stock quotations from Vancouver and New York Stock exchanges. Musical programme.
3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m—Late reports from House of Commons at Ottawa. News bulletins and stock exchange flashes. Requested musical numbers.
5:30 to 7 p.m.—Specially selected radio dinner-time concert with selections by Caruso, McCormack and other noted artists. Late news flashes.
8 to 10 p.m.—The World's children's bedtime story, followed by news bulletins received over special wire and late local news. Musical selections by the world's premier concert and operatic stars.

WORLD'S RADIO CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Stars and Stripes" "Under Double Eagle” March .... Sousa's Band
“Slow and Easy" (Fox Trot) "Oh, Honey" (One-Step) ... Scott's Orchestra
“God Be With Our Boys Tonight" ... John McCormack
"Left All Alone Again Blues'' Fox Trot ... Raderman's Orchestra
"Saxopation''
One-Step ... B. Kruger
“Uncle Josh Playing Baseball" “Uncle Josh on a Fifth Ave. Bus” .. Cal Stewart
"Japanese Sandman" "Silver Water" Fox Trot .... Raderman's Orchestra
“Goodbye" ..... E. Caruso
"My Cuban Dream" "Karavan" Fox Trot ... Coleman's Orchestra
“In the Rotary" "Mr. John MacKay” .... Lauder
"Some Sunday Morning" "My Sweetie" Fox Trot ... Smith's Orch.
“Daddy, You've Been a Mother to Me" “Tumble-in” ... Henry Burr
"Swanee" (One-Step) "I Might Be Your Once In a While" ............. Van Epp’s Quartette
"Zaza Il Pacio" .... Tarrar de Luca
“Uncle Josh at the Roller Skating Rink" "Uncle Josh and the Fire Department" ... Cal Stewart
"My Baby's Arms" (Fox Trot) "And He'd Say" (One-Step) ... Pietro
"When Tony Goes Over the Top" ... B. Murray
"Good Morning, Mr. Zip-Zip" ... Arthur Fields
"The Vamp" "Tell Me" Fox Trot ... Smith's Orchestra
"Molly-O I Love You" ... William Robyn
"Love Ship Song” ... Chas. Harrison
"Yankee Shuffle" "Our Director" March ... Pryor's Band
These Victor Records are played through the courtesy of the David Spencer, Ltd., Phonograph Department,
N.B.—Any special records Radio fans would like transmitted should telephone their request to photograph department or to radio station,

Friday, April 7, 1922
The copy of the Vancouver World’s newspaper on line has a lovely crease in the paper, so one of two columns is not intelligible. We’ll have to summarise and reprint what we can decipher. It starts:
It was BC Electric Night on The World’s radio broadcast on Thursday night, and radio fans “listening-in” were given a treat by the B. C. E. R. quartette and also a little information on some of the members of the...company.
The story goes on to reveal the street railway’s Social Club “holds a number of whist and cribbage drives, football games” and participants hold an annual banquet at the club rooms on Carrall and Hastings (the old interurban terminus). This year, they were gifted a “big radio receiving set” from Sprott-Shaw. Even though that company had a rival station to the World’s, the World and the David Spencer Company arranged for a concert by the B.C.E.R. quartet.
“Now, gentlemen, we will give our ball team wail,” shouted concert leader J. Baldwin. It evoked “roars of laughter.” The rest of the column:

And they gave the yell, which went like this:
“One, two, three,
Who are we?
We are the boys of the B. C. E.”
There was a lot more to it, and It was taken up vociferously at the concert end of the radio. Following that Messrs. J. Baldwin, J. Stewart, A. Campbell and J. Price, the B. C. E. R. quartette, sang "The Bells of St. Mary's" and "Carry Me Back to Old Vlrginny," Mrs. Price sang "Men of Harlech," and R. E. Chamberlain also gave a number. The World received a wire from Port Angeles saying that the quartette was greatly enjoyed In the American city, while B. C. E. R. employees are rabid radio fans from now on.
In addition to the above numbers of the usual concert programme was given, and today the gramophone department of The David Spencer Store has prepared another concert with selections by the band of the Coldstream Guards, and songs by Caruso and McCormack.

WORLD RADIO BROADCAST
World Radio Broadcast schedules for this evening are:
5:30 to 7 p.m.—The Daily World’s special dinnertime radio concert with popular songs and race selections.
8 to 10 p.m.—Children’s Bedtime Hour story. Late news flashes and bulletins and local news. Specially selected programme of music from selections given below by courtesy of David Spencer, Ltd., phonograph department.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
“Four Flags March” “Wake Up, England” ... Coldstream Guards
“Bells of St. Mary’s” “Oh, By Jingo” ... Henri’s Orchestra
“Four Leaf Clover” Song [missing]
“Maytime” (Waltz) “American Serenade” (Fox Trot) .. Waldorf Astoria Orchestra.
“I Can See My Brother Coming” ... Collins
“Flanigan on a Farm” ... Porter
“On the Dixi Highway” (One Step) “Teasing the Cat” (One-Step) “Van Eps Trio
“Oh, What a Pal Was Mary” “While Others Are Building Castles in the Air” ... Henry Burr
“Alexandria” “La Veda” Fox Trot ... Raderman’s Orch.
“Dream of Autumn” ... Bohemian Orchestra
“G. Frangese March” ... Pryor’s Band
“Ostrich Walk” (Fox Trot) “At the Jazz Band Ball” (One Step) .. Dixi Jazz Band
“Carmen” ... L. I. Marsh; J. McCormack
“Allah’s Holiday” “Poor Butterfly” ... Smith’s Orchestra
“Pictures From Life” Song ... Billy Watkins
“You Broke My Heart” Song ... Henry Burr
“Alcoholic Blues” “Jerry” ... All Star Trio
“Uncle Josh and Lighting Rod” [sic] ... Cal. Stewart
“Down in Jungle Town” .. Collins and Harlan
“All the Quakers” “I Want a Daddy” ... All-Star Trio
“Lost Chord” Song ... E. Caruso
“Uncle Josh at Camp Meeting” “Uncle Josh Plays Golf” ... Cal. Stewart
“Any Place” “Kismet” Fox Trot ... Blue Bird Orch.
“Scouts’ Patrol” “Baltimore” March ... Conway’s Band.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Re: CFYC April 1922

Postby cart_machine » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:20 am

It appears, other than listing records being played, the Vancouver World didn't have much to say about its station as things wore on.

The station played novelty pieces by Irving Kaufman and Billy Murray. W.C. Kelly was Grace Kelly's uncle who had a vaudeville act that wasn't, let's say, complimentary to non-whites. Cal Stewart did cornpone-accented recitations.

I like the reference to "Meridian Time." Time zones were reasonably new, I guess.

"Advices" from the Commons? That's what the stories say.

Pardon any OCR errors. I'm not responsible for the paper's way of spelling "Accordion."

Saturday, April 8, 1922
WORLD RADIO HEARD IN NORTHERN ALBERTA
In northern Alberta, 32 miles from the Saskatchewan border, W. T. Wolfe, at radio station 4 A N, is nightly getting The World’s broadcast, and this radio fan reports that it is the clearest and best broadcast he has ever received.
"On March 27 at 10:15 p.m., 105 Meridian time, I picked up your radio telephone music," he writes. "I heard the announcement that you were sending from the roof of the Spencer building in Vancouver, and then ‘listened in’ on concert. The song, ‘Listen to the Mockingbird' and 'The Last Rose of Summer' were particularly good. My station is on the north side of the North Saskatchewan river, and 32 miles from the Saskatchewan border, but I can hear all your news bulletins and the concert as clear as if it was a phonograph playing in the room. My address is Elk Point, Vermilion, Alberta.
Night after night Operator Wolfe is getting Operator Jack Wilson. From other points also interested radio fans are reporting in. One of these is Mayor G. G. Henderson of Fernie, B. C., who as an old-time compositor on The World many many years ago, when all the type was set by hand and the office of the paper was on Cordova Street, is particularly interested in the new venture.
"I to congratulate The World," he writes. "I am always interested in the paper and I am glad to see it is keeping to the front."
The news of The World's radio broadcast has travelled even further afield, for this morning an inquiry was received from C. F. Seifert, of G. F. Seifert & Sons of Quebec City, who heard of The World’s radio and is anxious to make connections.
These are in addition to hundreds of radio fans from all over the Province of British Columbia and down along the west of the United States, and today and tomorrow The World is again sending out a special broadcast.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today the following schedules will be adhered to by The World Radio Broadcast:
2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.—Late cables from The World’s direct British cable. Late news bulletins and stock quotations. Music.
3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.—Latest news from House of Commons, Ottawa. Closing stock exchange quotations. Special late news flashes. Requested musical numbers.
6:30 p.m. to 7 p m.—The World's special radio dinnertime concert of latest instrumental and song hits. Specially selected dinner dance music. Late news bulletins.
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.—Programme of selected records by courtesy of the Phonograph department of David Spencer, Ltd. Specially requested musical numbers. All the latest news over special wire.
Sunday's Broadcast.
2 p.m. to 3 p.m.—Musical numbers by request and late cable and news bulletins.
5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.—Special dinnertime concert with world famous artists' best records. By courtesy David Spencer, Ltd.
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.—Selected musical programme and late news flashes received by wireless and cable from British and Eastern news distributing centres.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
SATURDAY
'Regimental Marches" .... H. M. Coldstream Guard's Band
"Scotch and Soda" "Idle Dreams" Fox Trot ... Thomas Trio
"Climbing Mountains" "You Didn't Want Me" Song ... Henry Burr
"Original Fox Trot" Fox Trot .. Van Epp's Trio
"Moaning Saxophone Rag" Fox Trot ... Brown Brothers
"An Irishman's Dream” Song ... Henry Burr
"Everybody Loves An Irish Song" ... American Quartette
"Hindustan" Fox Trot ... Smith's Orchestra
"N' Everything" Fox Trot ... Smith’s Orchestra
"Red Pepper" Banjo Solo ... F. Van Epps
"Lobster's Promenade" Banjo Solo ... F. Van Epps
"Bells" Fox Trot ... Raderman's Orchestra
"Gra-na-da-Fox" ... Raderman's Orchestra
"Love Is Mine” Song ... E. Caruso
"Marsovia Waltz" "My Treasure" Accordeon [sic] Solo ... Pietro
"Uncle Josh at the Circus" "Uncle Josh at the Hotel" ... Cal. Stewart
"Mandy" "Eyes That Say I Love You" Fox Trot ... Ekstein's Trio
"I'll Sing Thee Songs of Araby" Song ... John McCormack
"The Volunteers" "Liberty Forever" March ... Victor Military Hand
"Uncle Josh at the Circus" "A Small Boy and His Mother at the Circus" ... Cal. Stewart
"That Tumble Down Shack" ... Henri's Orchestra
"Taxi" One Step ... Henri's Orchestra
"Great White Way" Accordeon Solo ... Pietro
"Broadway Medley" Accordeon Solo ... Pietro
"Walt Till the Cows Come Home" Fox Trot ... Venn's Orchestra
"Ching Chong" One Step ... Van Epps Trio
"Dardanella" "Patches" Fox Trot ... Coleman's Orchestra
SUNDAY
"Royal Trumpeters' March" ... Arthur Pryor's Band
"Invincible Eagle March" ... Sousa's Band
"Hiawatha's Melody of Love" ... Song Sterling Trio
"Let the Rest of the World Go By" ... Henry Burr
"Narcissus" ... Pryor's Band
“Hearts and Flowers” ... Victor Orch.
"Give Me the Open Road" "On the Road to Mandalay" Song ... F. Oldfield
"Onward Christian Soldiers" "Nearer My God to Thee" ... Conway's Band
“Ave Maria” Song ... Enrico Caruso
"Tripoli" Waltz ... H. Thomas Trio
“You Tell em" Fox Trot ... H. Thomas Trio
“Sweet Chow" "That Naughty Waltz" Song ... V. Holt and L. Rosedale
"Let the Lower Lights Be Burning" "Will Your Anchor Hold?" Song ... H. McLaskey
“Dixieland In France" ... Pietro
"Just Blue" Fox Trot ... All Star Trio
"Breakfast In Bed Sunday Morning" "My Bonnie Jean" .. Sir Harry Lauder
"Rose of Washington Square" Fox Trot ... Van Epp's Quartette
"Venetian Moon" Fox Trot ... Van Epp's Quartette
"When You and I Were Young" Solo, saxophone ... Benne Henton
"Aloha-Oe" Saxophone Solo ... Benne Henton
"When You Look Into the Heart of a Rose" .... John McCormack
"Romeo and Juliet" (Selection) "Barber of Seville" (Overture) ... Pietro
"My Ain Folk" "A Perfect Day" Song ... Imperial Quartette
"Connecticut March" ... A. Pryor's Band
“Marching Through Georgia" Duet .... Harlam and Stanley
"Beautiful Ohio" ... Waldorf Astoria Orchestra
"Till We Met Again" ... N. Orlando's Orchestra
"April Smiles" Waltz ... Victor Orchestra
“Cadet's March" ...Sousa's Band

Monday, April 10, 1922
BELLINGHAM WILL LISTEN IN TONIGHT
While members of the Bellingham Board of Trade are having dinner in the Washington city, sixty odd miles away from Vancouver tonight, they will receive an invitation to visit Vancouver from J. N. Harvey, of the "B. C. Invitation Week" committee of the Vancouver Board of Trade and incidentally will "listen-in" on a specially arranged programme of music over The World's radio broadcast.
Ever since The World's radio broadcast was inaugurated, Bellingham radio fans have reported remarkable clearness and modulation in tone. They report The World's radio programme are received there even better than those from Seattle and other points where radio is now past the innovation stage, and as a result at the Bellingham Board of Trade dinner tonight a receiving set will be installed and the Vancouver Daily World broadcasting station will provide the programme.
Over the long-distance telephone today arrangements were completed and when Mr. Harvey, who is behind the "B. C. Invitation Week" campaign, heard of the matter he immediately agreed to extend an invitation to the Bellingham Board of Trade by radio. The invitation will be extended to every radio fan and every radio station catching The World's broadcast, and they will be asked to pass it along to their friends. The last word in the radio science is to be used to carry on the "B. C. Invitation Week" campaign, and tonight ships at sea, wireless stations along the coast and away inland, on both sides of the border, will receive the "Visit B. C." invitation of Mr. Harvey and the Vancouver Board of Trade.
On Saturday and Sunday nights the usual radio broadcasts were made from The World's station on top of the David Spencer Building and reports from all receiving stations showed that The World still leads with the clearest and best concert programme.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today another big concert programme has been arranged by the phonograph department of the David Spencer Company, Ltd., including selections by Caruso and a number of the latest fox trots and other song hits.
This programme will be played during the regular schedules, which are as follows:
2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.—Late cables from The World's direct British cable service. News bulletins and stock quotations. Musical selections.
3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.—Latest advices from House of Commons at Ottawa. Closing stock exchange quotations. Special late news flashes. Requested musical numbers.
5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.—The World’s special radio dinner-time concert of latest instrumental and vocal hits. Special dinner dance programme of latest dance music. Late news bulletins.
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.—Programme of selected records by phonograph department of David Spencer Ltd. Specially requested musical numbers. Latest news bulletins over leased wires.
The concert programme is as follows:
TODAY'S PROGRAMME
Cutie—Fox Trot .. Paul Whiteman
Lonesome Hours ... Fox Trot
Rock-a-bye, Baby (song) ... Merle Alcock
My Trundle Bed; My Mammy Knows .... Fox Trot
Angel Child (fox trot) ... Benson orch.
The Smiler Rag .. Van Eps Trio
Too Much Ginger ... Van Eps Trio
Nocturne .. Thonzalez Quartet
Catalina (fox trot) ... H. Thomas Trio
Look for the Silver Lining; Someone Worth While (song) .... E. Johnston
Wonna ... Fox Trot
She Loves Me (fox trot) ... Club Royal Orchestra
Song of Love (song) ... Marsh and Davidson
Serenade (song )... Lambert Murphy
Venetian Love Boat ... Fox Trot
Virginia Blues ... Fox Trot Benson Orchestra
Arabian Melody Violin Solo ... Hans Kindler
In Bluebird Land .... Fox Trot
I Ain't Nobody's Darling (fox trot) Benson orchestra
There's Silver In Your Hair.. (Song) Charles Hart
Carolina Rolling Stone ... Hart and Shaw
Souvenir ... Violin Solo
Meditation ... Violin Solo Rae Eleanor Ball
Lola Lo ... Fox Trot
Three o'Clock In the Morning (waltz) Smith's orch.
Sousa ... Accordeon Solo
Blaze Away March .... (Pietro)
Uncle Josh In a Department Store; Uncle Josh at the Metropolis (Cal Stewart)
Messe Solenmelle ... (E. Caruso)
Uncle Josh at the Opera; Uncle Josh In Society .. (Cal Stewart)

Tuesday, April 11, 1922
WORLD RADIO PICKED UP FAR OUT AT SEA
Over two hundred miles out of Vancouver, well off the Oregon coast, between Tatoosh and the Columbia, Wireless Operator W. L. Comyns, of the Union Oil tanker Oleum, picked up The World's radio broadcast.
"The music came in clear and strong," said Comyns in reporting to The World on Monday, “and it was followed by some press announcements. The musical numbers were perfect, and I was greatly pleased and surprised to get them so far out at sea. You have got a fine transmission set and a fine operator."
When the "Oleum" caught The World’s broadcast she was on her way to San Pedro, and Operator Comyns, who has had eight years’ experience in radio work, was particularly enthusiastic over the results he had in "listening in" to The World. On the "Oleum" he is using a special Federal construction outfit.
"In the south radio is catching on like wildfire." he said on Monday night after the boat had docked. "Every day and especially on Sundays, you can listen to concerts, lectures or anything you like. It is making life at sea a lot more pleasant, end soon radio concerts will be part of every ship's daily routine."
Operator Comyns also heard the invitation given by J. N. Harvey to the Bellingham Board of Trade.
"If any radio fan who heard Mr. Harvey doesn't make a trip to British Columbia this summer he hasn't any red blood in his veins," said Comyns. "He told of the fishing and shooting, the swimming and other sports, and also of the wonderful opportunities there are in this province. He painted a picture that should bring them up here in swarms, and it was full of good neighborly welcome, too. This 'hands across the border" movement is going to get a big boost from radio fans, as it will make many new friendships and bring radio fans from both sides of the line closer in touch with each other. There is nothing like a mutual hobby to make friends, and I have made many warm friends through the radio set."
Other points along the coast also reported receiving the invitation broadcasted by Mr. Harvey on behalf of the Board of Trade, and at Bellingham the Board of Trade dinner party reports that although unable to get the get the Seattle broadcasts they twice "listened in" on The World broadcast and are making arrangements to erect another aerial and hold another concert with The Vancouver World supplying the music through the David Spencer Company, Limited.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today another big World radio concert programme has been arranged, and will be sent out on the following schedules:
3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.—Latest telegraphic advices from House of Commons at Ottawa; closing stock exchange prices; late local news flashes; requested musical numbers.
5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.—The World's radio dinner time concert, with special dinner dance music; late news bulletins.
8 p.m. to 10 p m.—Programme of selected records by phonograph department of David Spencer Company, Ltd. Specially requested numbers. Latest local and telegraphic news over leased wires.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Naval Reserve” "White Rose” March ... Conway's Band
“Wondering" (Fox Trot) "Whose Baby" (One Step) ... Raderman's orchestra
"The Love Boat'" "Whispering" Song ... Lewis James
"Kangaroo Hop" (Fox Trot) "Merry Whirl" (One Step) ... Vess Ossman’s Orch.
"If You Ever Glet Lonely" Song .... American Quartette
"What Do You Want" Song ... Jones C. Murray
"Working On the Farm" "Kentucky Minstrels" ... Golden and Hughes
"Indianola Patrol" "Foots" One Step ... Dr. C. Penney
"To a Wild Rose" "Souvenir Poetigue" Violin solo ... Michel Gusikoff
"Si and Sis" ... Miss Jones and Mr. Spencer
"O'Brien's Automobile" ... Steve Porter
"My Heart Has Learned to Love" ... H. McDonough
"Glow-worm" .... Vienna Quartette
“Sinbad" (Fox Trot) "Oh Lady" (One Step) .... Waldorf Astoria Orchestra
"How Yet Gonna Keep 'Em" (Song) "How Are You Going to Wet Your Whistle" ... Billy Murray
"Tip-Top Medley" "Crackerjack" Fox Trot .. Pietro
"In the Park" "Tenth Regiment" March ... Victor Military Band
"Uncle Josh in Boston" "Uncle Josh in New York" [... Cal Stewart]
"Left All Alone Again Blues" "Inspiration" (One Step) ... Raderman’s Orchestra
"A Little Bit of Heaven" ... John McCormack
"Flirting Whistler" (One Step) "Ragging the Scale" (Fox Trot) ... Conway’s Band

Wednesday, April 12, 1922
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today the regular schedule will be adhered to by The World's radio broadcast, together with a specially selected programme on which a number of requested pieces are being played. Such artists as Galli Curci, de Luca, John McCormick, Alma Gluck, Billy Murray, Homer, Fritz Kreisler, O’Connell and Sousa’s and the Victor Military bands are included in the programme, which is an especially Iengthy one.
The regular schedules are as follows:
2 p m. to 2.30 p.m.—Cable bulletins over The World's special direct cable service with Great Britain. Local news bulletins. Stock exchange reports and musical numbers.
3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.—Late advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Late stock quotations. News flashes and bulletins. Special musical selections.
5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.—The World's special radio dinner time concert with dinner dance numbers and selections by world famous artists. Late local and Canadian news. Late cables and telegraphic bulletins.
8 p.m. to 10 p.m—The Children's Bedtime Story. Late stock reports and telegraphic news. Late local news and specially requested musical numbers.
RADIO CONCERT
The following is the concert programme arranged by courtesy of the phonograph department of the David Spencer, Co., Ltd.
"Marcia Militaire" March ... Vessella's Italian Band
"Marche Indienne" ... Kryl's Bohemian Band
"I Wonder What William Will Tell" One Step ... Van Eps Trio
"Chicken Reel Comedy" Saxophone ... Six Brown Brothers
"Molly Dear" One Step ... Victor Military Band
"A Little Bit of Heaven" Waltz ..Victor Military Band
"I'm Always Falling In Love" Song ... Henry Burr
"Whistle a Song" Song ... Billy Murray
"Lazy Daddy" (Fox Trot) "Fidgety Feet" (One Step) ... Original Jazz Band
“Humoresque" ........ Venetian Trio
"Berceuse" .... de Jocelyn
"Mr. Hitchcock's Curtain Speech" "Burglary Story" ... R. Hitchcock
"Contes d'Hoffman, Barcarolle" Song ... Gluck and Homer
"Everybody Shimmies Now" “My Cairo Love" Fox Trot ... All Star Trio
"Beautiful Ohio'' Waltz ... Fritz Kreisler
"Like We Used to Be" "Tell Me Little Gypsy" Song ... Lewis James
"Old Country Fiddler" "Old Country Fiddler" ... C. K. Taggart
"The Shepherd Boy" "Fifth Nocturne" ...... Venetian Trio
"Traviata-Imponete" .. Galli Curci and de Luca
"Popular Songs of Yesterday" Waltz ... Hakel-Berge Orchestra
"There's Nothing Too Good" Song ... J. O’Connell
“I’m a Twelve o'Clock Fellow" ... H. C. Harlan
“Slippery Hank" One Step ... Fuller's Jazz Band
“Tah de Dah” Fox Trot ... Fuller's Jazz Band
"In a Persian Garden" ... John McCormack
"Felix Diaz Marcha" ... Police Band of Mexico
"Light Cavalry Overture" ... Sousa’s Band

Thursday, April 13, 1922
RECEIVING SETS FOR ALL LINER'S CABINS
Headed for this port, from which she will make regular runs In the future, the liner Ruth Alexander will be the first boat travelling on a Pacific route to have regular wireless telephone receiving sets installed in each cabin.
So great has been the increase in radio transmitting stations that the owners of the liner have found it possible to give their passengers a regular telephone service even when out at sea, and in addition to having the radio receiving sets in the staterooms, special sets will placed in the saloon of the vessel, equipped with "booster" magnavox horns, so that passengers will be regaled with dance music and regular concert programmes without the necessity of holding the head-pieces to their ears.
Arrangements have been made for the passengers on this liner and other boats to receive The World’s daily radio broadcasts, and according to shipping men the radio will be shortly a feature on every up-to-date passenger liner plying the Pacific.
On Wednesday the usual schedules were sent out from The World’s station, and today schedules as given on Page 3 will be broadcasted. On Friday regular Sunday schedules will be given, consisting of specially selected music and running from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today’s World Radio Broadcast schedules are as follows:
2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.—Cable bulletins over The World's special direct cable service with Great Britain. Local news bulletins. Stock exchange reports and musical numbers.
3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.—Late advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Late stock quotations. News flashes and bulletins. Special musical selections.
5 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.—The World's special radio dinner time concert with dinner dance numbers and selections by world famous artists. Late local and Canadian news. Late cables and telegraphic bulletins.
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.—The Children's Bedtime Story. Late stock reports and telegraphic news. Late local news and specially requested musical numbers.
TODAY'S PROGRAMME
“Pasadena March" ... Vessella's Italian Band
"On Wisconsin March" ... Victor Military Band
"Spring Song" "To a Water Lily" ... Florentine Quartette
"Razzberries" One Step ... Van Eps Trio
"Darktown Strutter's Ball” Fox Trot ... Brown Brothers
"Capricieuse" Violin Solo ... Jascha Heifetz
"Diadem Quick Step" ... Alexandra Prince
"Honest Toil March" ... A. Prince
"The Sandman" Song ... Evan Williams
"Tickle Toe" (Fox Trot) "Going Up" (One Step) ... Victor Band
"Uncle Josh's Trip to Coney Island' ... C. Stewart
"Roll on de Ground".... Billy Golden
"Ruspana" (One Step) "Have a Smile" (Fox Trot) ... Pietro
"Pourquoi?" Song .... Enrico Caruso
“At the Brook” ... Tolletson Trio
"Serenade” ... Florentine Quartette
"Irish and Scotch Melodies" .... W. H. Reitz
"Black Diamond Rag" .... Fred Van Eps
"Egyptland" "Egyptland" (Fox Trot); "Peter Gink" (One Step) ... Six Brown Bros.
"Apache Dance" ... Black Diamond Band

Saturday, April 15, 1922
DANCE TO MUSIC SENT OUT BY WORLD RADIO
From all over the city and surrounding districts messages expressing appreciation of The World's Good Friday broadcast have been received. Many of the local radio fans took advantage of the holiday to arrange radio parties, and in at least two instances dances were staged to the music supplied from The World's station on the roof of the David Spencer Building.
Today and Sunday two more big programmes have been arranged. The radio will operate on the regular schedules today, and on Sunday the concert will be broadcasted from 2 p. m. to 3 p. m., 5:30 p. m. to 7 p. m. and 8 p. m. to 10 p. m.
WORLD’S RADIO BROADCAST
2 p. m. to 2:30 p. m.—Cable bulletins over The World's special direct cable service with Great Britain. Local news bulletins. Stock exchange reports and musical numbers.
3 p. m. to 3:30 p. m.—Late advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Late stock quotations. News flashes and bulletins. Special musical selections.
5 p. m. to 1:30 p. m. [7:30]—The World's special radio dinner time concert with dinner dance numbers and selections by world famous artists. Late local and Canadian news. Late cables and telegraphic bulletins.
8 p. m. to 10 p. m.—The Children's Bedtime Story. Late stock reports and telegraphic news. Late local news and specially requested musical numbers.
TODAY'S PROGRAMME
(By Courtesy of David Spencer, Ltd., Phonograph Dept.)
"National Air of France" "Tannhauser March" ... Sousa's Band
"Smiles" "Rose Room" Fox Trot ... J. C. Smith's Orch.
"When Night Descends" .... J. McCormack
"Old Folks at Home" .... Celeste Solo
"Old BIack Joe" ... Felix Arndt
"When Evening Shadows Fall" "Mammy's Little Coal Black Rose" ... Orpheus Quartette "Kisses" "Mickey" ... Smith's Trio
"Russian Dance" ... E. Zimbalist
"Eyes That Say, ‘I Love You' " One Step .. Eckstein's Trio
"Mandy” Fox Trot ... Eckstein's Trio
"Quartette In D Major" ... Flonzaley Quartette
"Winner Medley" "Dandy Medley" Piano Accordeon .. Pietro
"Flow Gently, Sweet Afton" ... Reed Miller
"The Ould Plaid Shawl" ... Henry Burr
"Cavalleria Rusticana" "Fading Leaves" .... Hurtado Royal Orchestra
"Bandana Days" (One Step) "Mimi" (Fox Trot) ... Melody Men
"Virginian Judge" ... W. K. Kelly
"I'm Nobody's Baby" "Listening" Fox Trot ... All Star Trio
"Ta, Ta, Bonnie Maggie Darling" “I Think I'll Get Wed In the Summer" ... Sir H. Lauder
"Don't Throw Me Down" "Your Just the Type for a Bungalow" ... Irving Kaufman
"Velvet Lady" "Kentucky Dream" ... Orlando's Orchestra
"Casey at the Dentist" "Casey Takes the Census'" Russell Hunting
“Pitter Patter" "Darling" .... Melody Men
"Basket of Roses" "One Fleeting Hour" ... Chamberland Trio
"La Capinera" ... Galli-Curci
"Make Believe" "Now and Then" ... Rega Orchestra

cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:32 am

Another week of the Vancouver Daily World's station listings. Perhaps the novelty's worn off for the World staff, as about all you'll find are playlists.

Billy Jones was one of the Happiness Boys, appearing on radio in the mid-'20s (WEAF New York had a small network that eventually became NBC). His "Jinga Bula Jing Jing" is on-line as of this writing. Tiny Tim would have had fun with it.

I cringed seeing the title "Ching Chong," but the record is a 1917 instrumental with piano, banjo and sax.

Pardon any OCR errors.

Monday, April 17, 1922
WORLD BROADCAST WILL GIVE LATEST WIRES AND CABLES
Today's radio broadcast will consist of the usual schedules, giving latest cable and telegraphic news, and the musical programme prepared by the phonograph department of the David Spencer Co. Ltd., which will be found on page 9.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
The World radio concert programme today is as follows:
"Standard Bearer" "Blaze Away" March ... Pryor's Band
"Ziegfield Follies" "Hitchy Koo" One Step ... Smith's Orchestra
"I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" Song ... Harrison
"I Miss That Mississippi" ... Sterling Trio
"The Dew Is Sparkling" ... Mischa Elman
"My Home Town" "Jinga Bula" ... Billy Jones
"The Waltz We Love" "Underneath the Stars" Fox Trot ... Victor Dance Orchestra
"Then You'll Remember Me" ... J. McCormack
"Forget-Me-Not" "To You" ... Venetian Trio
"Swanee" (Song) "Venetian Moon" .... Sterling Trio
"Hungarian Czardas" "Hungarian Dance'' (No. 5) ... J. Moskowits
"Oh, Boy" (Fox Trot) "St. Elmo" (One-Step) ... Smith’s Orchestra
"Geese In the Bag" ... Irish Jigs
"Stack of Barley" ... J. Kimmel
"Cohen On Prohibition" "The Bureau" ... Russell Hunting
“Saxopation" ... Benne Kruger
"Left All Alone" (Fox Trot) ... Radderman’s Orchestra
"The Maiden's Prayer" "Sound of the Harp'' .... Neapolitan Trio
"Two Serenades" ... Caruso-Elman
"Dollar Princess" "Chocolate Soldier" Waltz ... Pryor's Band
"Ching Chong" One Step ... Van Epps
"Wait Till the Cows" ... Veo's Orchestra

Tuesday, April 18, 1922
PRINCE RUPERT GETS WORLD'S BROADCAST
From Prince Rupert comes the latest report of The World's radio broadcast being picked up. H. C. Earle of that city has written in to say that with a home-made receiving set he is regularly “getting The World.”
“All the concert numbers come through very clearly," he writes, "and although I have only a home-made set I am having no trouble at all. We get all the news bulletins and all the music we want, and in addition to getting The World broadcast I am getting a lot of messages from ships at sea.”
Operator Earle Is only one more of The World's radio fans who assert that the broadcast from this paper is the best on the Pacific coast.
"I get it ever so much clearer and stronger than any of the others," he says, "and I give a radio concert to my friends every night. We more than enjoy it and as far as I can gather, radio will make a big hit in Rupert and come in handy for people in the outlying districts from here."
Today's radio programme will be found on Page 15.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today another big radio programme has been prepared by the David Spencer Company, Limited, and it will be sent out on the following schedules:
2 p. m. to 2.30 p. m.—Cable bulletins over The World’s special direct cable service with Great Britain. Local news bulletins. Stock exchange reports and musical numbers.
3 p. m. to 5:30 p. m.—Late advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Late stock quotations. News flashes and bulletins. Special musical selections.
5 p. m. to 1:30 p. m. [7:30]—The World's special radio dinner time concert with dinner dance numbers and selections by world famous artist. Late local and Canadian news. Late cables and telegraphic bulletins.
8 p. m. to 10 p. m.—The Children's Bedtime Story. Late stock reports and telegraphic new. Late local news and specially requested musical numbers.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"The Warbler's Serenade" "Whistler and His Dog” ... A. Pryor's Band
"I'll Say She Does" (Fox Trot) "You're Some Pretty Doll" ... All Star Trio
"Introduction" and "Tarantella" ... Jascha Heifetz
"My Rosary for You" "The Magic of Your Eyes" Song ... Henry Burr
“L’Ariesienne Suite” “Caprice Espanol” .... Vassella’s Band
"Tempest of the Heart" "Toreador Song" Song ... Alan Turner
“Clarinet Marmalade Blues" "Mournin Blues" ... Dixi Jazz Band
"Showers of Gold'" "Gondolier and Nightingale" .... H. L. Clark, Clement Barone
"When My Ships Come Sailing Home'' ... J. McCormack
"Chicken Walk" ... Brown Bros.
“San Francisco Souvenir" ...... Pietro
"A Soldier's Day" “Parodies of Camp" ... Geoffrey O'Hara
"Sicilian Vespers" Selectlon .... H. M. Coldstream Guards
"I Love You Truly" Song ... Francis Alda
"A Dream" "Traumerei" Violoncello ... Hans Kindler
"Lazy Daddy" "Fidgety Feet" ........... Dixieland Jazz Band
"That Girl of Mine" ... Sterling Trio
"All the World Will Be Jealous of Me" ..... Chas. Harrison
"Mary" (Fox Trot) "Rock-a-Bye Baby" ... Smith's Orchestra
"School Days” ... B. O. Harlan
"A Negro Wadding" .... Peerless Quartette
"Anvil Chorus” ... Victor Orchestra
"Forge In the Forest" ... Pryor's Band
"Spirit of Independence" ... Conway's Band
"Rainbow Division March" ... Pryor’s Band

Wednesday, April 19, 1922
RADIO SETS BUSY "LISTENING IN" ALL OVER VANCOUVER
With radio sets delivered to all parts of the city on Tuesday, and with the bulk of them set up before nightfall, Tuesday night was the biggest radio night yet held in Vancouver. Tonight the phonograph department of the David Spencer store has arranged another special programme, which will be sent out on the schedule published on page two.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Today's World Radio programme is as follows:
5.30 p.m. to 7 p.m.—The World's special radio dinner time concert.
8:00 to 10 p.m.—The World’s children's bedtime story. Specially selected programme of vocal and instrumental music.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Gen. Mixup March” ... Pryor's Band
“My Maryland" March ... Sousa's Band
"When the Honeymoon Was Over" ... Henry Burr
"Jealous of You" ... W. Robyn
“Now and Then” “Make Believe" .... Rega Orchestra
"Beneath the Moon of Lombardy" ... John MacCormack
“One-Two-Three-Four" ... Hawaiian Guitars
“El Relicarlo" .... Marimba Band
"Coral Sea" ... Martucci's Orchestra
“My Mammy'' .... Diamond Trio
“Moe Uhane Waltz” “On the Beach at Waikiki" ... Louise and Ferera
“Chanson Indvue” ... Fritz Kreisler
"Chasing the Chickens" "When Aunt Dinah's Dauther" [sic] ... Brown Bros.
“My Mammy" ... Peerless Quartette
“Persian Lamb Rag” Banjo Solo ... Ossman
"Medley Waltz" Accordion Solo ... Kinmel
"Wyoming" "Sighing" Song ... Lewis James
"My Cuban Dream" "Karavan" ... Coleman's Orchestra
"Dream Visions" ... Florentine Quartette
"Love's Dream After the Ball” ... Venetian Trio
"Love Me or Not" Song (tenor) ... Caruso
"Coon Band Contest" "Li'l Liza Jane" ... Fuller's Jazz Band
"Turkish March" ... Jascha Heifetz
"Under the Double Eagle March" ... Sousa's Band
"Lights Out March" ... Pryor's Band

Thursday, April 20, 1922
BELLINGHAM GETS WORLD CONCERT BY RADIO REGULARLY
To the music supplied by The World's radio broadcast, patrons of the Liberty Theatre in Bellingham, Washington, are given a nightly concert in that playhouse, and at the same time are enabled to get all the latest news direct from the wires.
Late last night the management of the theatre, which is a Jensen & Von Helberg hous[e], called up The World's radio operater [sic] and asked for special musical numbers.
"We are giving a little dance after the show," said the manager, "as we are getting the programme from you so good that we hate to go home.” He also stated that The World's broadcast would be a regular feature of the theatre programme from now on, as it was coming in clearer and stronger than any of the others the theatre operator had tuned into.
Today another programme will be broadcasted on the usual schedule which will be found on page 9.
WORLD’S RADIO BROADCAST
Today's World radio broadcast will be issued in the following schedule:
2:00 to 2:30—Cable bulletin from The World's special direct cable service to Great Britain. Latest stock quotations and local news. Music.
3:30 to 4:00—Latest advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Cable and telegraphic news. Musical selections.
5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.—The World's special radio dinner time concert.
8:00 to 10 p.m.—The World's children's bedtime story. Specially selected programme of vocal and instrumental music.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Tales of Hoffman" "Slavonic Dance" ... Vessella’s Italian Band
"Sweet and Low" Waltz ... Henri's Orchestra
"Bohemia" One Step ... Van Epp's Quartette
“She Is My Daisy" "When I was Twenty" ... Sir Harry Lauder
“Jerry" (Medley Fox Trot) "Alcoholic Blues" ... All Star Trio
"Breeze of the Night" (Waltz) "lvanhoe" (Two Step) ... Pryor's Band
"I Want a Daddy" "All the Quakers" ... All Star Trio
"Alpine Violet" "Evening Bells" ... Venetian Trio
"Cohen Talks About Ladles" "At the Movies" .... Munroe Silver
"Poor Butterfly" (Fox Trot) “Allah’s Holiday" ... Smith's Orchestra
"Carnival of Venice" Cornet Solo ... B. Krye
“Titls' Serenade" Flute and Cornet ... Keneke and Lyons
"American Serenade" "Maytime Waltz" .... Waldorf Orchestra
"Absent" Song ... Evan Williams
"Any Place Would Be" (Fox Trot); "Kismet" ... Diamond Trio
"Air for G String" ... Mischa Elman
"Hiawatha's Melody of Love" (Waltz); "Avalon" ... Radderman's Orch.
"Flirtation" ... J. McCormack
“Eclipse Medley" "War Ballad Medley" ... Pietro
"Maori Tango" "Nights of Gladness" .... Victor Military Band
"Addio Napoli" "Maria Man" ... Vessalla's Band

Friday, April 21, 1922
PUPILS TAKE IN WORLD BROADCAST RADIO CONCERT
TORONTO, April 21.—A Dominion-wide radio convention will be held in Toronto on Sept. 8 and 9, the last two day of the Canadian National Exhibition.
This convention will bring together figures in radio circles in this country and several noted experts from the United States.
Installed for the benefit of those pupils who are interested In the radiotelephone J. W. Kinnarny of the Western Telegraphy Schools in the city, is now receiving The World broadcast daily. The radio receiving set was installed in the school on Thursday afternoon, and already the pupils have had their first radio concert.
"It is only one of the small sets," said Mr. Kinnarney on Thursday night, "but it picked up The World broadcast from the start much clearer than any other we tuned into. Everything is run so perfectly that it is easy to work up interest in the new science and our pupils are already radiofans after only the one session.”
Mr. Kinnarney has also installed a Marconi set with Baldwin high-powered amplifiers at his home at 6285 Prince Albert street, South Vancouver, and is picking up The World’s broadcast there daily with great success.
Today another big programme has been prepared and will be sent out on schedule set forth on page 4.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Following is The World Radio broadcast programme for today:
2:00 to 2:30—Cable bulletin from The World's special direct cable service to Great Britain. Latest stock quotations and local news. Music.
3:30 to 4:00—Latest advices from House of Commons, Ottawa. Cable and telegraphic news. Musical selections.
5:30 to 7:00—The World's special radio dinner time concert.
8:00 to 10:00—The World's children's bedtime story. Specially selected programme of vocal and instrumental music.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Blue and White March" "Boy Scouts of America" ... Victor Military Band
"All the World Will Be Jealous" "Girl of Mine" ..... Sterling Trio
"Two Dances" "Broken Doll" ... Victor Military Band
"Andante Cantabile" ... F. Kriesler
"Lobsters' Promenade" "Red Pepper" (Banjo Solo) ... Van Epps
"An Evening Song".... J. McCormack
"Buggy Riding" "Let the Rest of the World" ... Coleman's Orchestra
"Angel's Serenade" .... Frances Alda
"My Baby's Arms" "Oo-La-La-Wee-Wee" ... Pietro
"Mignon" ... La Scalla Orchestra
"Bohemian Girl Melodies" "Serenade Good-Night" ... McKee Trio
"Marimba March" "Colombia Waltz" ... Marimba Band
"Trovatore" .... Dunlap-Macdonough
"Misere" ... Kline-Macdonough
"Old Grey Mare" "Beale Street Blues" ... Fuller's Jazz Band
"Faddio a Napoli" ... E. Caruso
"Forsaken" ... Zither Solo
"Sounds from Tyrol” ... D. Wormiser
"Fletitia" ... Royal Marimba Band
"Catallna" ... Royal Marimba Band
"Carmen" .... Philadelphia Symphony
"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" "Burmah Moon" ... Eckstein's Trio
"By Heck" "Tickling Love Taps" ... Victor Dance Orchestra

Saturday, April 22, 1922
HORSESHOE BAY AMATEUR GETS HIS CONCERT NIGHTLY
With a temporary outfit installed at Horseshoe Bay, an amateur radio operator, Gerald Newmark, is nightly enjoying the radio broadcast sent out by The World. Station 5 C.D. is the official designation of the Newmark post, and so clearly are The World's programmes received that Operator Newmark wrote in to The World to let Operator Jack Wilson know just what he was getting.
Tonight another big programme, for which see page 10, has been prepared. Several of the numbers are those which have been requested by radio fans, and any fans who are "listening in" are reminded that they can have their favorite records placed on the daily broadcast by telephoning to the phonograph department of the David Spencer Co., Ltd.
At the request of many radio fans who are anxious to "listen in" on the sermon which is to be broadcasted from the First Presbyterian Church, Seattle, tomorrow evening. The World broadcast will not be given on Sunday evening on the last schedule until 9 o'clock.
The Sunday hours will therefore be from 2 to 3 p.m.; 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. and from 9:00 to 10:00 p.m., which will give churchgoers In Vancouver and the surrounding territory a chance to "listen In" on The World's broadcast after they have returned from church.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
A special musical broadcast will be given on Sunday from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., and 8:00 p.m. to 9 p.m. Today's programme will be broadcasted as follows:
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Coronation March" "Carmen Selection" ... Vessella’s Italian Band
"Squeeze Her" "Are We All Here?" Song ... Billy Williams
"Hornpipe Medley" "Silver Heels" ... Alexander Prince
"Valse Lente" Song ... Enrico Caruso
"Chinese Blues" "Blue Paradise" ... Sousa's Band
"Believe Me" (Violin Solo) "Last Rose of Summer" ... S. Gardiner
"Sometime" "Chong" Fox Trot ... J. C. Smith's Orchestra
"Your Eyes Have Told Me" "Chu Chu San" Fox Trot ... Henri's Orchestra
"The Lamb's Gambol" ... Van Eps
"Blood Lilies" ... W. H. Reitz
"At the Jazz Ball" (One Step) "Ostrich Walk" (Fox Trot) ... Dixie Jazz Band
"Calm As Night" .. .Vienna Quartette
"Serenade" ... Victor Sorlin
"Kohalo March" "Honolulu March" Guitar ... Lue and Kailie
"Sweet and Low" (Waltz) "Bohemia" (One Step) ... Henri's Orchestra
"Any Place In Heaven" ... John McCormack
"Annie Laurie" ... Violin and Harp
"Kentucky Home" .... Violin
"Snowflakes" Song ... A. Gluck
"Wait Till I'm As Old As Father" “Where Does Daddy Go? ... Billy Williams
“Pietro's Petum" "Luna Waltz" ... Pietro
"When My Baby Smiles at Me" "Bo-la-BoB"... Murray's Melody Men ... Henri's Orchestra
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:32 pm

I didn't think about this until now, but these lists contradict the many broadcast history articles that state that Early Radio's music was mostly Live. And the musicians were mostly unpaid for their work.

Of course, Radio was just beginning at this point.

These music lists are obviously phonograph records. Nice to see some facts for a specific station, instead of generalizations in the articles I've been reading lately.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Jon, the impression I'm under is the World station had no studio at the outset. They had a "transmitting apparatus", a mike and a gramophone wired into the board. It seems like a low-budget operation to glomm onto the radio craze.
The Sun station, on the other hand, seems to have had an actual studio with a piano and live programming, at least during part of the day.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:37 pm

Here's the last week of April 1922 for the Vancouver World radio station.
News about the station is scarce. It couldn't be bothered to list the times it was on the air or frequency. All it did was play records. There's a lot of Paul Whiteman here. Request lines were open.
You'll notice one melody by Mair and Pattison. This would have been more appropriate for CJOR, had it existed.

Monday, April 24, 1922
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE GETS NEWS BY WORLD RADIO
From Rocky Mountain House, between Edmonton and Calgary, word comes that the broadcasts being sent out from Vancouver are being received by an amateur who has installed a set there.
Tucked away in a corner of Alberta which is still more or less undeveloped, and with only a poor rail service, the radio is a special boon to Rocky Mountain House, which has only a tri-weekly mail service. Clyde Scott Is the name of the operator of the new station which is located on the top of the the Mount View Hotel, and now residents of the little town are nightly in receipt of The World broadcast, giving all the latest news, and dances are being held to the music of records played in Vancouver.
Tonight another big programme will be sent out to The World’s regular schedules, included in which will be several specially requested numbers which radio fans have asked the phonograph department of Spencers Ltd., to play. The programme will be found on page 2.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Following is tonight's World Radio concert programme:
"Battle of Gettysburg" "Goodbye Dolly Grey" ... Conway's Band
"The Barefoot Trail"... J. McCormack
"Dardanella" "Patches" ... Coleman's Orchestra
"Ave Maria" Violin Solo ... J. Heifetz
"Nobody's Baby" "Cherie" ... A. Fields
"Winner Medley" "Dandy Medley" ... Pietro
"Aloha-Oe" Song ... Alma Gluck
"Dance-O-Mania" "Whispering'' ... Yorke's Orchestra
"Ireland Must Be Heaven" "All Erin Is Calling'' ... Chas. Harrison
"Canta Amoroso" ... Mischa Elman
"Cuban Moon" "June" ... Colemand [sic] Orchestra
"Aloha Land" "Hawaii I'm Lonesome" ... H. Louise-F. Ferera
"Pretty Kitty Kelly" "Tripoli" ... H. Donovan
"Tip-Top Medley" "Crackerjack Medley" ... Pietro Detro
"A Little Voice I Hear" ... Galli-Curci
"Coon Band Contest" "Lil’ Lisa Jane" ... Fuller's Band
"Mo-Ana" "Caeliz March" ... Mandolin Quartette
"March Slave" ... Pryor's Band
"Semiramlie Overture" ... P. B., Mexico
"High School Cadets" ... Sousa's Band
"April Smiles" ... Victor Orchestra

Tuesday, April 25, 1922
LATEST RECORD RELEASES WILL BE HEARD TONIGHT
Containing a number of the latest record releases the programme for The World's Radio broadcast concert arranged by the phonograph department of the David Spencer Co, Ltd., is one of the best that has yet been sent out over the local transmitting stations. Several of the numbers are by request, and a great many of them will be heard in Vancouver for the first time tonight as they were specially released by who this morning for today's programme.
The broadcast will be sent out on the usual schedules and radio fans who have sent special requests for numbers to the phonograph department of David Spencer's Ltd., are asked to look up their numbers on the programme and "listen in" at the times scheduled.
The programme will be found on Page 9.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Following is The World Radio concert programme for tonight:
"Rule Britannia" "Yankee Shuffle March" "Our Director March" ... Pryor's Band
"Time After Time" "Don't Leave Me, Mamy" [sic] ... Henry Burr
"Oh Bobby" "When the Tide Comes In" ... Romanelli’s Orchestra
"Broken Melody" ... Zimbalist
"Tell Her at Twilight" "While Miami Dreams" ... Smith's Orchestra
“The Low Backed Car" ... J. McCormack
"Monastery Bells" "Sword and Lance March" ... Pryor's Band
"April Showers'" "Weep No More My Mammy" ... P. Whitman's [sic] Orchestra
"La Danza" (tenor)....... Caruso
"Swing Me In Moonlight" "I Want You" ... Metropolitan Dance Orchestra
"Birds of a Feather" "Leave Me With a Smile" ... All Star Trio
"Arabian Melody" ... Kindler
"Railroad Blues" "Bow-Wow Blues" ... Dixi Jazz Band
"If You Only Knew" "After All Is Said and Done" ... Hart and Shaw
"The Sheik" "Dapper Dan" ... Club Royal
"Hilo Waltz" "Wailana Waltz" ... Guitars
"Regimental Marches" "Reels and Strathspeys" ... Black Diamond Band
“National Anthem”

Wednesday, April 26, 1922
WORLD RADIO IS HEARD PERFECTLY IN BELLINGHAM
"The two pieces we asked for, we heard perfectly, and we are going to send in another list as soon as we know the latest releases." Over the telephone from Bellingham came the above message from the Globe Theatre on Tuesday night, where radio fans gathered around the receiving set of Operator Oliver "listened in" to two of the latest records released through the courtesy of the David Spencer Co., Ltd.
Tonight another big programme has been prepared by the phonograph has department of the big store, included in which are many of this week's latest record releases. The programme will feature selections by Sousa's Band, Geraldine Farrar (by request), John McCormack (by request), Marcel Journet, Scots Orchestra, and Galli Curci (by request).
The programme will be sent out on the usual schedule of The World’s broadcast and will be found on page 3.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST CONCERT PROGRAMME
Following is tonight’s World Radio concert programme:
"The Diadem" (Quick Step) Honest Toil" (March) ... Alexandra Prince
“Semper Fidelis" (March) "Hand Across the Sea" ... Sousa Band
"Wimmin" "Goodby Shanghai” ... Club Royal Orchestra
“Razzberries" ... Van Epp's Trio
"Darktown Strutters' Ball" ... Six Brown Bros.
“Tyrolean Dance" Minuet In ‘G’" ... Natalie and Bashko
“Beautiful Isle of Somewhere" ... J. McCormark
“Music Box Rag” “Chinatown, My Chinatown” ... Victor Band
“The Bee” (Violin) ... Maud Powell
“Ty-Tee” “Just a Little Love Song” Fox Trot ... Whiteman’s Orchestra
“Ellis March” “Hawaiian Medley” ... Hokea
“Drummer Boy" "Keep the Home Fires" ... F. Wheeler
"Make That Trombone" “Deenah" Fox Trot .... Raderman’s
"When Buddha Smiles" "Gypsy Blues” ... Whiteman’s
“All Through the Night” ... G. Farrar
"Stealing" "I Want My Mammy" ... Smith’s Orchestra
"La Cor" Song ... Marcel Journet
"It Must Be Someone Like You" "Oh Joy" ... Scott’s Orchestra
“Lakme” ... A. Galli Curci
"Guards Brigade March" "Military Cross March" ... Metropolitan Band

Thursday, April 27, 1922
MOVIE OPERATOR NOW WORKS TO MUSIC OF "WORLD" RADIOPHONE
J. H. Leslie, a motion picture operator employed at the Dominion Theatre found his job rather dull though he is able to watch silver screen all the time. Last night he was found waltzing around his machines as he made his adjustments, ducking and swaying from side to side. For some time it was thought that something was wrong with him, but then he stepped over to a shelf, adjusted something, took the receivers from his ears and turned to his work in a more sober manner.
With a single wire on the roof, a dollar's worth of apparatus. Leslie has music with his work and hears all the news of the world. He stated last night that he could always hear the "World Broadcast" easiest, and that he enjoyed the concerts very much.
Tonight's concert programme will be found on page 2.
WORLD'S RADIO BROADCAST
Following is The World Radio concert programme for tonight:
CONCERT PROGRAMME
"Radetzy March" "Russian Hymn" ... Pryor's Band (Fox Trot)
“Yearning” (Fox Trot) "Oh What a Pal" ... Henri's Orchestra
“Molly Brannigan" ... J. McCormack
"Tripoli" "You Tell ‘em" ... Harry Thomas Trio
“Beauty Eyes" ... DeGogorza
"Hold Me" "Frog's Legs" ... Yerke's Blue Bird Orchestra
“Love's Delight" Violin ... Maud Powell
"All That I Need" "Granny" Fox Trot ... Club Royal Orchestra
"My Wild Irish Rose" "In the Garden of My Heart" ... Reed Miller
"Polish Dance" "Sylvia Ballet" ... Victor Orchestra
"Sandman" (song) ... Evan Williams
"Angel Child" "My Mammy Knows" ... Benson Orchestra
"Carolina" "There's Silver" ... Charles Hunt
"That Moaning Saxophone" "The Original Fox Trot" ... Van Eps Trio
“La Boheme" ... L. Bori
"The Southerner March" "The Thunderer March" ... Victor Military Band
"Little Grey Home In the West" "I Hear You Calling Me" ... Neapolitan Trio
“Lass With a Delicate Air"... A. Gluck
“Lauder Hits" ... Imperial Band

Friday, April 28, 1922
GQLDSTREAMERS AND CARUSO IN WORLD BROADCAST TONIGHT
Today another big programme has been arranged by the phonograph department of the David Spencer Co., Ltd., which includes two selections by the famous Coldstream Band and songs by Enrico Caruso and Alma Gluck. All of the above are specially requested numbers, and in addition to these there are several of the latest releases which will be heard in the West for the first time tonight over The World’s broadcast.
The full programme, which will be sent, out on the usual schedules, will be found on Page 3.
WORLD RADIO BROADCAST
Following is the concert programme which will be sent out by The World Radio broadcast tonight:
"Indian Medley" "Red Wing" ... Pryor's Band
"My Ladde" ... Alma Gluck
"Ka-Lu-Lu" "Everybody Step" ... Paul Whiteman
"Let the Rest of the World Go By" "Melody of Love" ... Henry Burr
"Geisha" Selection ... H. M. Coldstream Guards
"Lost Chord'' ... Enrico Caruso
"Daisy Reels" “Southern Melodies" Banjo solo ... Fred V. Eps
"Canadian Capers" "Bimini Bay" ... Paul Whiteman
"Melodie" Violin solo ... Mischa Elman
"Within the Garden of My Heart" ... John McCormack
"Verona Waltz" "Spanish Favorites" ... Pietro
"Sheila O’Neil" "We All Live at 24" ... Billy Williams
"Geisha" (No. 2) ... H. M. Coldstream Guards
"Never Mind" "Hortense" ... All Star Trio
"Bohemian Girl" "La Czarina” ... Pryor's Band
"A Little Bit of Heaven" ... John McCormack
"Fortune Teller" "Lauder Sanctions" ... Pryor's Band
"He's a Devil" "If They’d Only Move" ... Ada Jones
"lsle d'Amour" "Flower Garden Ball" ... Victor Military Band

Saturday, April 29, 1922
SIR HARRY LAUDER AND M'CORMACK BY TODAY'S BROADCAST
Featuring the latest Broadway hits, and with specially requested numbers by such artists as Sir Harry Lauder, John McCormack, Rachmaninoff, Fritz Kreisler and Jascha Heifetz, The World's radio broadcast for today is the last word In musical programmes, as it contains the new issue of His Master's Voice records for the month of May.
Although these records are not usually released until the first of the month, special arrangements made by the phonograph department of the David Spencer Co. Ltd., made it possible for The World to broadcast them today, and radio fans are in for an unusual treat.
The Lauder numbers are both new ones and will be heard for the first time in Vancouver over The World's radio which will be sent out this afternoon and this evening on the usual schedules.
The full concert programme will be found on page 2.
CONCERT PROGRAMME
Following is today's World Radio Concert programme:
"Black-eyed Blues" "Tee-Pee Blues” ... Benson Orchestra
"Don't Leave Me, Mammy" "Time After Time" Song ... Henry Burr
"Spanish Rhapsody" "Waltz" (Piano solo) ... Mair and Pattison
"Carmen" .... Calve and Dalmores
"Georgia" ... Peerless Quartette
"Oh You Beautiful Baby" .... Stanley Murray
"Prelude In C-Sharp Minor" ... Rachmaninoff
"Jimmy" "After the Rain" ... Paul Whiteman’s Orchestra
"Waltz" (Violin Solo) ... Fritz Kreisler
"Little Grey Sweetheart" "Old Fashioned Girl" ... Paul Whiteman
"Lead Us" "Thou Fount of Every Blessing" ... Kline C. Baker
"Spanish Serenade Violoncello" ... Hugo Kreisler
"Waggle o' the Kilt" "Belta McGraw" [sic] ... Sir Harry Lauder
"Canzonetta" ........ Erika Morina
"Secret of Suzanne". .. .Lucrezia Bori
"Those Days Are Over" "Play That Song of India" ... Charles Harrison
"Bygones” "By the Sapphire Sea" ... Paul Whiteman
“The Roads That Brought You" ... John McCormack
"Caprice" ... Jascha Heifetz
“Longing Dear" "Rockin' in de Win"' .... Olive Kline
"Tell Her at Twilight" "While Miami Dreams" "Carissema" ... Frances Alda
"Walkure" .... Philadelphia Symphony Orch.
"Lassie o' Mine".... Edward Johnson
"When the Tide Comes In" "Oh Bobby" ... Romanelli's Orchestra
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History