Site Update: CKVN & CKLG Early 70s

A look back at various radio stations

Site Update: CKVN & CKLG Early 70s

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 pm

After many years of inactivity the Vancouver Top 40 Radio website at http://www.vancouvertop40radio.com has been updated. I won’t go into the reasons (and excuses) that took me away from working on the site for so long, but suffice it to say I’m back at it, actively working on the site.

This summer over 312 new charts have been added to the site, all re-typed, one chart at a time, from the originals. There are now over 1000 charts on the site.

New additions include:

1. CKVN - A new section devoted to the brief few years when CKVN, after dropping its all-news format and before returning to become C-FUN, had adopted the Top 40 Format from 1970 to 1973.

2. CKVN - 1970 - all weekly charts.

3. CKVN - 1971 - all weekly charts plus the CKVN All-Time Top 300 chart issued in the summer of 1971.

4. CKVN - 1972 - all weekly charts.

5. CKLG - 1970 - all weekly charts plus the CKLG All-Time 300 Hits, a 3-day event that ran the Labour Day weekend in 1970.

6. CKLG - 1971 - all weekly charts.

7. CKLG - 1972 - all weekly charts.

New Audio:

8. CKVN Year Index Page
a) Five audio montages featuring an assortment of Jingles, courtesy of RadioWest.ca.
b) Two audio bytes featuring Michael W. Morgan and Phil Toombs. Courtesy of Larry Morton.

9. CKLG 1970 Index Page - Three audio bytes featuring Rick Honey, Roy Hennessy and Bob Morris. Thanks to Larry Morton for providing these.

10. CKLG 1971 Index Page - Two audio bytes featuring Ched Miller and Don Stevens. Again, thanks to Larry Morton.

Other changes and additions:

11. Vancouver Top 40 Radio “Home” page - revamped and updated. New graphics added. Wallpaper background is Bruce Stewart’s digital image of 1960 Olds interior overlooking Vancouver skyline.

12. “Station Select” page redesigned, probably not for the last time.

13. Links page updated. Old ‘dead’ links removed. New ones added. All in all, many evenings worth of radio-related browsing for you, on other sites.

14. CKWX Year Index Page - new and better quality photos added of the “rock house” on Burrard Street.

15. CFUN Year Index Page - new station photo added courtesy Red Robinson.com

If by chance, you’ve forgotten how to navigate to these pages simple click on the Home page link below, scroll down to the yellow radio and click “Enter” taking you to the Station Select page where you can navigate to the radio station and year of your choice.

Next Project: The long-delayed addition of the CKWX unpublished charts of 1957 and 1958 along with the Red Robinson “Teen Canteen” top ten songs from those same years.

To Be Followed by: More charts from the seventies, slowly working our way to the eighties and nineties.

There’s one last thing I would like to mention. Some of you may have noticed on the Amazon website a while back, that someone published at least four different books printing all the charts from CFUN, CKWX and CKLG, that appear on my site. In fact the pages in the book are direct reproductions of my site’s typed pages which means that the author, whose name shall not be mentioned here, has profited from all the many hours of typing I did on the charts. This individual has also visited many other oldies sites including ARSA and Oldiesloon has published books of other cities’ radio charts, reproducing the transcribed charts from these sites.

I want to make it clear that I am not connected with these books in any way. If you see these books please be aware that you will find nothing in them that you can’t find for free on my site.

Jim
http://www.vancouvertop40radio.com
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Re: Site Update: CKVN & CKLG Early 70s

Postby tuned » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I know it's a lot of work. The guy that stole your re-typed charts is probably guilty of copyright infringement and "unjust enrichment". You have a copyright on your version of the chart but trying to enforce it is probably not worth the time or money but the guy is a thief.
I'm having a great time looking through your charts and listening to the soundbites. Have a great long weekend!
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: Site Update: CKVN & CKLG Early 70s

Postby jon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:18 pm

As I recall, I checked out the writer of these books, and discovered he was a university professor who compiled (off the Internet) and published them as textbooks for his courses.

Then chose to sell them on Amazon, to put a few bucks in his pocket.

Ironically, most of his books are mostly from ASRA, which is itself sourced from Internet sources, without permission from the copyright holder, typically an eBay seller who scanned or photographed the real charts.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History