KHJ had *Location*Location*Location*

A look back at various radio stations

KHJ had *Location*Location*Location*

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon May 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Another reason why KHJ would have been considered to be one of the coolest radio stations to work at in the late 60's and early 70's, I never knew before that the 5515 Melrose address in Hollywood was immediately adjacent to the Paramount Studios lot.
In the aerial shot, the KHJ building is the pinky/beige structure in the lower part of the picture just right of center.
I remember once seeing a 1970 survey with The Partridge Family visiting Don Steele. They must have just simply walked over from the sound stage.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: KHJ had *Location*Location*Location*

Postby tuned » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 pm

The Partridge Family was filmed mostly at Warner Ranch never at Paramount. Their TV house is still at Warner's which is on the same street as the "I Dream of Jeannie" house.
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: KHJ had *Location*Location*Location*

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue May 22, 2012 4:31 am

tuned wrote:The Partridge Family was filmed mostly at Warner Ranch never at Paramount. Their TV house is still at Warner's which is on the same street as the "I Dream of Jeannie" house.

Depends which story you hear. The Partridge Family exteriors were most certainly all shot at Warner Ranch but some sources claim the soundstage work (house interiors and the like) were done at the old Screen Gems / Columbia pictures lot (now known as the Sunset-Gower Studios) on N. Gower street about 10 blocks or so north of Paramount. There's also the old story about The Partridges and The Brady Bunch shooting at least some soundstage work in adjacent soundstages on the Paramount lot. The Brady Bunch was shot in Paramount's stage 5, so if the tales of the neighborhood feud are true, that would put The Partridge Family at KHJ's back door.
Hey, Danny Bonaduce's doing his morning radio show here in Seattle these days. Maybe I should call him up and get the straight story. I'm sure he never gets tired of people asking him questions about the old Partridge days !
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History