Your Favourite Seattle or Western Wash. Station/Time?

A look back at various radio stations

Your Favourite Seattle or Western Wash. Station/Time?

Postby jon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Mentions of KTW Seattle's short period of Top 40 in the Daytimers thread brings up the question of Western Washington Radio, not just Seattle. So many of us listened to Western Washington radio stations for extended periods of time.

What are your favourite time periods at a Western Washington radio station? As a listener, as not many of us had an opportunity to work there.

Although I wish I could remember more of the KTW Top 40 experience, so I could comment intelligently on that, KOL Seattle from their return to Top 40 in the mid-1960s until Robert O. Smith's move to KOL-FM in 1971 has to be mine. Within that fairly long time window, two periods really stand out:
  1. A month or so after Dave McCormick became Program Director, and had all dayparts delivering a consistent format, as what I believe was the Pacific Northwest's first Drake style (Dave worked for Bill Drake in Fresno, coming directly to KOL from KYNO in Fresno) Much More Music formatics. With a low spot load, they really did cram a lot of songs into each hour, without drowning the personalities of the DJs, each assigned to 3 hour weekday shifts, except overnights. Dave and Dex Allen were my favourites, but they all really adapted well to the change.
  2. The Lan Roberts AM Drive/Robert O. Smith PM Drive time period that began in about October 1969 and lasted until about mid-1971. Personality Radio at its best. There were actually three DJs doing voice characters. As well as Lan and Robert O., Terry McMannis had a few, too.
What do you remember that really had you glued to the Radio -- in a good way; I don't mean the mid-1960s Seattle Earthquake coverage on KJR.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History