CKOK History

A look back at various radio stations

CKOK History

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:36 pm

CKOK History

Here is a rather long and unedited broadcast on community radio in Penticton recently. If you have the time
you might find it interesting.

It features Cal George (CKWX and CKOK), Ken Davis (Sales Manager at CHWK and owner of CKOK Penticton), Wally Hild and Kyle Anderson - both
jocks at Penticton in the more modern era.

Thanks to the Penticton Museum and Peach City Radio Society - it was recorded during an exhibit on radio and communications at the
museum in the Okanagan.

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: CKOK History

Postby YesterDaze » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for making this available, Jack. Great to hear CKWX legend Cal George again, and various takes on the Maurice Finnerty and Gerry Pash eras at the heritage Penticton AM station.

For RW followers, a useful peek behind the career curtain of one Jack Bennest, and in his own words.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks to RF for inserting the pic/graphic of CKOK and for the comment of Yesterdaze.

Both of us worked with Cal and know him to be a gentlemen and despite his age - incredibly lucid and young-like. Golfing maybe?

My career in radio was short and sweet. If I had not left radio or broadcasting - who knows what would have happened to me. I got
a great shot at the big time but was found lacking in a number of ways. I left and my life has been fruitful and stimulating.

I miss old radio - but it was a phase of my life - not the whole shebang.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 am

Jack Bennest wrote: If I had not left radio or broadcasting - who knows what would have happened to me.

If you hadn't left radio, who would have given me free drinks at the Media Club?

It was great to hear Cal. May he never be a shut-in. I still hope there's a chance Mike Cleaver can talk to him about his days at 'WX.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:08 am

Speaking of shut-in - would be nice if JimBee could find Hal Rodd and get an interview for posterity.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:43 pm

My understanding is that Hal Rodd lives in the Marpole area. Jim Robson ran him down there, and on August 6th at Nat Bailey, thanks to the excellent operators of the Vancouver Canadians baseball club, the elderly, frail Hal Rodd is being inducted into the Vancouver Baseball Hall of Fame, media division. Hal was play-by-play guy for the Vancouver Capilanos of the Western International League back in the 1940's and early '50's.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:29 pm

What a treat to hear Cal's infectious laugh again after nearly 3 1/2 decades! Good to know he has surfaced on the board..sort of. I second the hope that Mike is able to sit down with him.
As the stations very first live (mostly) overnight jock, I was well acquainted with Kyle Anderson and his hi-school era band too. Kyle, do any tapes of "Company of Strangers" overnight CKOK LTAs exist in your archives? I know we made some..heh heh.

PD Grant Sherwood also hired the my overnight replacment, a talented (and brave) young broadcasting college grad out of Duck Lake Saskatchewan. Her name was Eleanor Lanovas, and I believe Elly was the BC interior's very first female late night jock,circa 74-75.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby gwp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 pm

BossRadio wrote:PD Grant Sherwood also hired the my overnight replacment, a talented (and brave) young broadcasting college grad out of Duck Lake Saskatchewan. Her name was Eleanor Lanovas, and I believe Elly was the BC interior's very first female late night jock,circa 74-75.

Yes, she was. It was still a time when there were few women on the air. Jeannie Belcher (of Playboy fame) was hired to take over from me on the all nighter at DA ten years earlier so there was no arguement from me when Elly applied at CKOK. It was a good decision.

The hour at the Penticton Museum was fun to listen to. Hmmmm. colourful.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am

Fun - I hope not slanderous.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 am

Jack Bennest wrote:Speaking of shut-in - would be nice if JimBee could find Hal Rodd and get an interview for posterity.

I'm led to believe Jim Robson found him living in Marpole prior to his induction into the local Baseball Hall of Fame last year. I always like Hal on the air.

I didn't hear the whole interview on CKOK but I couldn't help but think of Al Jordan's career there.

A buddy of mine was there some years back and said Ken Davis' favourite phrase was "Get those sales up!"

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Well I hope someone gets Hal's pix or a recording of him when he visits Cap's stadium in August.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History