All News Radio not too impressive

Radio News from British Columbia

All News Radio not too impressive

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:35 am

Like many of you, I was following the Lytton fire story on Canada Day and the day before.

Formerly News 1130, once the clock strikes midnight, CKWX gets a feed from midnight to 6 am from ??? and it's called "All News Radio."

I have no idea from what studio this gawd awful feed comes from. But, sorry, it sounds like sh*t ! A second rate, sucks sh*t, radio news show ?

As a first time listener to All News Radio, (but, a long time listener of News1130), I had to hold my nose, this morning, while listening to Azi Cudjurian, the female newsreader who not only seems fresh out of school, but she can't seem to read two consecutive sentences properly.

Why would you hire someone like that ! If someone cannot read, why are they on the air ! The credibility of the whole show goes out the window, especially for a networked news show.

Don't they teach the young ones over at Rogers how to pre-read their scripts and concentrate on the presentation. That's what I was taught at BCIT broadcasting school !

Most annoying, though, is her deadpan, lacklustre read, kind of a reminder of Jules Knox at the Global Okanagan anchor desk.

Just brutal !

Meanwhile, no re-writing of any MAJOR, breaking previous stories, like the fire story in Lytton ?

They have played the same fire story by Monika Gul for at least three consecutive hours !

Can't Rogers Radio afford to hire a re-write desker to keep the stories fresh for the on air people.

I heard another newsreader named Zia Khan on the same show. He has much more potential as a news reader than the young woman. But he introduced his show as "Welcome to Tuesday, July 2nd," then corrected himself to say "Friday July 2nd." LOL Then, the same reader calls the program, "News 1130" instead of All News Radio.

A big fail, I'd say ?

The other disappointment with All News Radio was the general lack of local breaking stories from Vancouver.

Such as, there have been at least 150 deaths during the recent heatwave in the Vancouver area. But, not a single story about that, heard during All News Radio's Friday AM edition.

Instead, there is a mention of a wire story about a preponderance of heat wave deaths in SEATTLE ! But, nothing mentioned about Vancouver's deaths.

The other thing to ponder is how radio and television in Vancouver got their proverbial asses kicked, as in "scooped" by the Vancouver Sun newspaper, regarding the first known deaths of the Lytton fires.

Postmedia is reporting that a couple in their 60's died while hiding in a ditch nearby their Lytton home. According to the son of this couple, a power pole broke off on his parent's property and fell over the entrance to the ditch, causing the demise of his parents.

But, not a single mention from any of you in the electronic media in Vancouver, about those two deaths.

Meanwhile, Rogers Vancouver sent two reporters to Lytton (Monika Gul and Sonia Aslam) to cover the fires.

While there, could they not have asked the local RCMP to confirm the deaths of the elder couple ? A good example of lazy reporting, if you ask me !

Meanwhile, Global Vancouver, who had the best fire coverage, so far, in my opinion, also failed to follow up on those deaths.

Disgraceful, and a good example of sloppy, lazy reporting.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Re: All News Radio not too impressive

Postby Just sayin' » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:06 am

Couldn't agree more. Vancouver has the laziest radio/tv people in the biz. Not even an attempt at rewrites. NW is a joke. Half of them can't put two words together and shouldn't be on the air. This is a major market! Whatever happened to the great radio newsreaders this town boasted.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby talker2002@gmail.com » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:38 am

" Whatever happened to the great radio newsreaders this town boasted?"

They were all dismissed by Corporate Headquarters in Toronto.
talker2002@gmail.com
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:58 am

Though not at News 1130, an Insider told me that Corporate HR effectively forces local management to hire someone other than the most qualified (best on-air sound). They have a constant need to increase some category or another, to meet Corporate or CRTC diversity percentage minimums.

This could mean that the sole female applicant might be hired, even if she does not meet all of the mandatory qualifications, let alone the more subjective things like on-air sound. Just because Corporate HR noticed that the percentage of female employees nation-wide is getting close to the minimum percentage committed to by the Corporation.

Qualifications themselves are a separate issue that can also create problems. Some Corporate HR make across the board rulings that someone with a university degree is better qualified than someone with a technical school diploma, and both are more qualified than someone with neither, no matter how much broadcast experience they might have, or how good they sound on-air.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:39 pm

It makes one cringe to listen to some of the newscasters on so-called all-news stations. They mispronounce words, and stumble bum their way through a newscast, some with an almost painful to listen to tone of voice and delivery.

Where are the bass baritone announcers of old with an authoritative sound that made the listener sit up and take notice?

One would think that students applying to get into any broadcast school, including BCIT, would need to first of all pass a qualifying audition. If you can't get through a five-minute audition newscast without mispronouncing words and/or stumbling over words, and you don't have a "made for radio" voice, then you should be politely advised to pursue some other career.

radioman
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Wednesday evening, CBC Radio One stepped up to the plate with province wide coverage of the situation in Lytton. Host Gloria Makarenko talked with authorities and politicians from the region and took calls from people who had fled Lytton and made their way to places like Lillooet, Merritt, Kamloops and the Lower Mainland. Live radio in an emergency situation at it's best!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:02 pm

I dunno. Seems to me local management would want some big sound coming out of their newsrooms, never mind the experience to know a story when they see one. My listening days, which are few and far between because of the quality, recall major news talents like Cambell McCubbin, Kerry Marshal, Valerie Ambrose, Manny Bazoonis among others. CBC is about all I can listen to now. At least their radio people can put more then 2 words together.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Thursday morning I fully expected to get some news from the scene of the fire in Lytton or at least something from one of the several fires in the area.

Nope. I was S.O.L.

News 1150 in Kelowna was rolling a rerun of a previous show with the morning guys who loves his own voice. When it came to news time, nothing local, just a 3 minute cast from Broadcast News.

My next choice was the Interior's one time news leader, CHNL 610 in Kamloops. I was out of luck again. This supposed News/Talk station was running a Stingray Canadian music special that was just one song after the other, unannounced.
The usual Morning show host made an appearance with what sounded like a pre-recorded newscast of material we'd all heard on Wednesday.

Thanks Stingray and Bell. You've totally destroyed two stations that both did a great job of serving the Okanagan and The Interior. Pretty pathetic.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 pm

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

CBC Television Vancouver has done a very skillful interview with Jeff Chapman, the Lytton man who tragically lost both of his parents in Wednesday's wildfire.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6088297

I think that the overall mediocre media coverage of the Lytton fire is a sign of things to come here in British Columbia.

When future disasters occur, expect the mostly Toronto controlled media coverage to be equally disasterous ?

Especially if the disaster occurs at 5 pm before the public holiday !

Radio news departments all over the Province, already short staffed, are almost always closed during a public holiday and yes, talk show hosts will play reruns.

I remember a time when radio talk shows, such as Bannerman and Rafe Mair on CKNW, BROKE the news. Today, shows like Adler and Breakenridge are bloody useless during disasters such as in Lytton. What good are they. What news stories have those shows ever broken?

The RCMP (and most government departments) play hookey during public holidays and its purposely done to be less accountable to the media, in general? But also, it's a cost cutting measure designed to save money on wages.

Kelowna, itself, is a notorious place for people running away during a public holiday, such as your Doctor, hospital staff, veterinarian, lawyer, or anybody important. Add radio news staff to that list?

If you or your family pet have a medical emergency during a holiday in Kelowna, gawd help you, as you or your pet may end up dead, as everyone in the Okanagan has run away until Monday, or they are stoned on pot !

Regarding credible radio news voices in Vancouver radio and where are they, and why mediocre news talent are hired and "allowed" to work at major market radio stations, I don't have any answers for you, my friends.

I do know that, as a broadcast news professional, myself, I can only control my own news and sports shifts and my own personal standards of excellence.

We cannot control what others say or do. You can only control when you start and when you end the shift ? However, if the radio work of others is so horribly disrespectful to the industry that we all love, then, I won't be putting up with their sh*ttiness and neither should you !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby radio knob » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:19 pm

radioman wrote:It makes one cringe to listen to some of the newscasters on so-called all-news stations. They mispronounce words, and stumble bum their way through a newscast, some with an almost painful to listen to tone of voice and delivery.

Where are the bass baritone announcers of old with an authoritative sound that made the listener sit up and take notice?

One would think that students applying to get into any broadcast school, including BCIT, would need to first of all pass a qualifying audition. If you can't get through a five-minute audition newscast without mispronouncing words and/or stumbling over words, and you don't have a "made for radio" voice, then you should be politely advised to pursue some other career.

radioman

You'd think someone reading the news would be interested in the news, would listen and watch alot of news. The sports and music people you'd think have to keep up with the current stories or they'd be dropped fast. News gets a pass for some reason. Some of the mistakes you can tell they don't know the names because they haven't listened or read anything before. Like that WKRP bit I never forget with Les Nesman reading the sports and gets to Chi Chi Rodriguez.
radio knob
Advanced Member

Postby Peteradio » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Bang on to all previous comments! Pathetic newsreaders everywhere on NW and all news/1130/whatever! Mispronunciations, awful in tone...so evident. I’ve commented the like for...sadly...YEARS NOW! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE MAJOR MARKET RADIO!
Peteradio
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia