Joe Kobluk

Radio News from British Columbia

Joe Kobluk

Postby mccrady » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:49 pm

I was saddened to learn today of the death last week of Joe Kobluk, who gave me my first broadcasting job at CJAT in Trail more that 40 years ago. His obit can be found at https://www.myalternatives.ca/castlegar ... seph-peter

RIP.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Re: Joe Kobluk

Postby jon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:07 pm

When I was at CJAT in 1972, I was told that Joe Kobluk owned a large chuck of the station. I've been unable to verify that.

He was a nice guy when I was there, but was not involved with my hiring.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

My old math teacher, Miss Dwyer, would just shake her head. Joe hired me in 1960 ... more than 60 years ago, not 40. I believe that's the same year he became manager of the station.

People who came along later may not know that Joe's brother Mike was a member of the irreverent 60s folk singing group The Chad Mitchell Trio. The third member was Joe Frazier when I saw them perform, although a few others came and went while they were active, including some guy called John Denver.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:14 pm

Just read where Joe's parents were born in Austria, despite being of Ukrainian ancestry.

Joe's brother Mike was also Director of Performing and Visual Arts at Expo '74 in Spokane, where he hosted the parents' 50th wedding anniversary during Expo's Ukrainian Week. Joe and his sister Betty also attended.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:12 am

Joe was still the news director for a few months when I got to CJAT in 1975. He didn't last too much longer on air before retiring. I believe he also worked as the editor of the local paper at one time.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Return to British Columbia