Mike Killeen is moving on...

Radio News from British Columbia

Mike Killeen is moving on...

Postby Heard It On The X » Thu May 13, 2021 7:53 pm

CBC VANCOUVER NEWS AT 6PM CO-HOST, MIKE KILLEEN,
MOVING ON FROM BROADCASTING

Killeen has been co-hosting the flagship show with Anita Bathe for CBC B.C. since 2018

Vancouver, B.C., May 13, 2021 – For more than 30 years, British Columbians have seen the face of Mike Killeen on their television sets. Today, CBC British Columbia announced the departure of the veteran news host from its flagship show, CBC Vancouver News at 6pm. Killeen is leaving the broadcasting industry to pursue other interests and his final newscast will be May 21, 2021. Anita Bathe will continue leading the award-winning newscast as the host of CBC Vancouver News at 6pm.

“We thank Mike for his dedication, enthusiasm and the commitment to journalism he has demonstrated during his time with us at CBC,” says Johnny Michel, senior managing director, British Columbia and Alberta. “In addition to his formidable journalism experience, Mike’s contributions to our community have been significant, and his passion for giving back is an inspiration to us all. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavours.”

“Mike has been an integral part of our supper hour newscast, it's been a privilege and a pleasure to work with him. We thank him for his contributions at CBC British Columbia and his leadership in the newsroom,” says Treena Wood, News Director, CBC British Columbia. “While Mike’s keen news sense and his wealth of experience will be missed, I am more than confident Anita Bathe will continue delivering the high quality, in-depth journalism British Columbians have come to expect from CBC Vancouver News at 6. She will remain as the host of the show.”

Killeen’s journalism career spans more than four decades and two continents. He has anchored live coverage and reported on some of British Columbia’s biggest stories including the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the 2011 Stanley Cup riot, the 2013, 2017, 2020 provincial elections, the COVID-19 pandemic, and more. He anchored live coverage from the scene of Abbotsford Police Constable John Davidson’s shooting death and has reported on refugees transitioning to a new life in Metro Vancouver.

“After four remarkable decades in broadcasting, I have decided it's time for a change and I am moving on from CBC and the broadcast industry,” says Mike Killeen. “I consider it a privilege to wrap-up my broadcasting career at CBC, a trusted news organization that has always been committed to delivering accurate and local news. It is difficult to leave this team of consummate professionals, in particular my co-host Anita Bathe. I am so proud of what we have accomplished over the past few years and look forward to watching her take the reins and make the show her own. Anita, I’ll be tuning in at 6. It has been an honour to be trusted by British Columbians to deliver the news – thank you.”
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia