Peak Morning Show

Radio News from British Columbia

Peak Morning Show

Postby groundskeeper willy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm

Tyler & Lynch have been shown the door, no details yet on who'll be taking over the time slot.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Re: Peak Morning Show

Postby radiofan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:26 pm

According to The Peak's website, Clinton Herman has moved from 9:30AM - 2PM to Mornings 5:30AM - 9AM and Emily moves from Weekends to 9AM - 2PM Mon to Friday.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm

They are taking applications for morning and afternoon drive hosts
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:28 pm

I actually thought that in Adults 25-54 the PEAK had a decent book. But that morning show was so poor and such a bad choice from the start. I really wonder how much influence Ross Winters still has there? He brought them in ultimately. Almost like the horrific Tom and Jerry experiment on Rock 101 all those years ago. (Damn I’m old). Dustin Collins came over from Corus last year and now it seems like he’s putting his stamp on things.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Ross Winters is a very competent programmer, he took a chance on both those morning shows and it didn't work out. That happens sometimes. Vancouver is a very unique and discerning market so it's not always an easy market to program in. I didn't listen to Tyler & Lynch and I guess nobody else did either. From what I understand they are both talented broadcasters and sometimes you go to a market and the work you do isn't met with the same enthusiasm.

Thinking back to the Tom and Jerry morning show on Rock 101. I actually did listen to that show quite a but and it wasn't great, I'm not entirely sure why that was the case. I heard that the GM told Ross Winters either you fire them or I'll fire you and then I'll fire them. I think they were only on the air for about five weeks.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:58 pm

Actually more like 6 months. I first recall hearing them in early April 1994 (Monday the 11th to be exact, but not sure of their start date). Bob Say was back on Rock101 by mid-September of that same year. I was told at the time they had been "coached" to emulate Larry and Willy. Problem #1: You can't bring in a copycat act to go head-to-head with the real thing. The "Tom and Jerry" moniker probably didn't help either (Jerry's real name is Larry, which would have been far too confusing for the average listener punching around the dial). ;) Secondly, Bob Say was already a well-established Vancouver morning man with a loyal following. Not quite L&W-style star-power, but I don't think Rock101 realized the impact of firing him until after the fact. As for Tom and Jerry/Larry? The two of them had successful careers when they returned to the 'Peg. It just goes to show; what works in one city doesn't always fly in another.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby Broadcast Babe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm

If memory serves, Tom and Jerry worked with Ross Winters in Winnipeg. Donovan's correct, what works in one city may not necessarily work in another. But hey, gotta try...why not. That's the nature of the biz. Remember, Larry and Willy got off to a rocky start when they first arrived from the east. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Broadcast Babe

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 am

Marathon wrote:Ross Winters is a very competent programmer, he took a chance on both those morning shows and it didn't work out.

“Competent” or “corporate”? Ross has one playbook; reduce the library as much as you possibly can. This is not a new tactic...it’s safe and because everybody does it, (or it’s a centralized strategy) radio is where it is...repetitive, predictable. What I find odd though, is that during his time overseeing the PEAK, they changed positions (I wanna say) about 3 times. And I’m sorry, but radio’s strength is local. Bringing in people from out of market who have NO idea about the local culture is a very risky approach. (And expensive when you then have to terminate).

I found the Winters hire by Pattison a very odd move at the time, as it seemed out of character given the assets that they had when you include JR, the PEAK, the Zone and the Q! Very creative oriented, local-centric stations...the complete opposite of centralized and corporate.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:54 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:
Marathon wrote:Ross Winters is a very competent programmer, he took a chance on both those morning shows and it didn't work out.

“Competent” or “corporate”? Ross has one playbook; reduce the library as much as you possibly can. This is not a new tactic...it’s safe and because everybody does it, (or it’s a centralized strategy) radio is where it is...repetitive, predictable. What I find odd though, is that during his time overseeing the PEAK, they changed positions (I wanna say) about 3 times. And I’m sorry, but radio’s strength is local. Bringing in people from out of market who have NO idea about the local culture is a very risky approach. (And expensive when you then have to terminate).

I found the Winters hire by Pattison a very odd move at the time, as it seemed out of character given the assets that they had when you include JR, the PEAK, the Zone and the Q! Very creative oriented, local-centric stations...the complete opposite of centralized and corporate.

Ross is actually a very competent broadcaster and smart programmer. Despite what you may think about a smaller playlist the truth is that your criticism is really more about the listeners. There are only a certain amount of songs that the listeners want to hear, this is evident when you look at the music test scores. It's quite simple, if you play music that doesn't test well you lose market share. You also have to keep in mind that a PD is not the sole decision maker when it comes to making a move. Nobody makes those decision on their own, I don't know how the decision was made to hire Tyler & Lynch, but you can be sure that it was heavily discussed and well thought out. The station wasn't doing very well in AM drive, so they had to make a move. By all accounts it was a sensible move, it didn't end up working out the way they had hoped and that happens sometimes. In terms of positioning, I recall them using "World Class Rock" and then when Ross was PD they used "Modern Rock." More recently they are using "Alternative Vancouver." My thought is that the entire notion of using a positioning statement is dated in PPM markets. Based on your handle I assume you are not in the primary demo for what The Peak is doing, honestly, neither am I, so perhaps our opinions aren't even valid.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Well, I do fall within the 25-54 demo, and I love new music, particularly alternative. I don’t agree with you on positioning. Positioning falls under marketing, and marketing impacts cume. Music rotation affects TSL. You’re suggesting that the PEAK is testing music which i doubt, although have no way of proving you wrong. By saying “it’s what listeners want” is a BIG leap. The magic of the PEAK in it’s early years was the fact that playlist was wide, and people were discovering new music. The biggest complaint listeners consistently give is “hearing the same song too much”. In an era when you can own your favourite songs and play them as much and whenever you want, I question the logic behind radio’s continued reliance on heavy rotation. Not to mention, the small sample size of PPM testing. It’s ridiculous, and radio tuning trending tells a bleak story.

I was working at a very research heavy station at the time when Pattison launched 100.5, and I recall there was mounting concern about how much they were showing up on surveys, despite not getting the corresponding numbers in the actual books. You could feel them winning on the street, and the amount of concerts in their wheelhouse that were selling out, was interesting to me.

Let’s just agree to disagree on the effectiveness of the current programming strategy.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:53 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Well, I do fall within the 25-54 demo, and I love new music, particularly alternative. I don’t agree with you on positioning. Positioning falls under marketing, and marketing impacts cume. Music rotation affects TSL. You’re suggesting that the PEAK is testing music which i doubt, although have no way of proving you wrong. By saying “it’s what listeners want” is a BIG leap. The magic of the PEAK in it’s early years was the fact that playlist was wide, and people were discovering new music. The biggest complaint listeners consistently give is “hearing the same song too much”. In an era when you can own your favourite songs and play them as much and whenever you want, I question the logic behind radio’s continued reliance on heavy rotation. Not to mention, the small sample size of PPM testing. It’s ridiculous, and radio tuning trending tells a bleak story.

I was working at a very research heavy station at the time when Pattison launched 100.5, and I recall there was mounting concern about how much they were showing up on surveys, despite not getting the corresponding numbers in the actual books. You could feel them winning on the street, and the amount of concerts in their wheelhouse that were selling out, was interesting to me.

Let’s just agree to disagree on the effectiveness of the current programming strategy.

Sorry, your handle gave me the impression they you were outside the demo.

I could be wrong be about positioning statements, it's just my own opinion.

I'm just curious, how many songs were in rotation at the station you were working at when The Peak signed on?
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 pm

@GRM: Could The Peak be a victem of it's own demo's listening habits? Aside from a handful of loyal listeners, the market they are catering to have many other options aside from terrestrial radio to listen to the music they like. I have a close friend in his early 50s who told me over the weekend that The Peak is his go-to music radio station. But often times when we drive together he also plays Spotify playlists with the same style of music as The Peak.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:16 pm

DonovanTildesley wrote:@GRM: Could The Peak be a victem of it's own demo's listening habits? Aside from a handful of loyal listeners, the market they are catering to have many other options aside from terrestrial radio to listen to the music they like. I have a close friend in his early 50s who told me over the weekend that The Peak is his go-to music radio station. But often times when we drive together he also plays Spotify playlists with the same style of music as The Peak.

Yes, I thin you are 100% right on this, I do the exact same thing as your friend does. I'd mentioned in a previous post about CHR being on shaky ground. Is it possible that formats like Modern Rock and CHR that target 18-24/18-34 don't have much life left in them because many in that demo don't even listen to radio anymore? I've been wondering about this for a while now and would love to hear what other people are thinking.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:05 pm

18-34 general radio erosion is certainly a problem for younger targeted stations, and where it's most noticeable is that demo's lack of real participation in PPM. The #1 F18-34 radio station in Vancouver is ROCK 101. So we've got a problem.

For The Peak, they directed it back to Alternative's long-targeted M18-34, which is risky. The had some of their best numbers when they were a bit older and had a bit of a female lean.

Fish where the fish are, as they say.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm

@Marathon, good point about CHR, but I think their problems run deeper than just their demos listening habits. More than the music, what makes CHR unique are their personalities, and how they interact with both the music their playing as well as their community. Z95.3 nailed this in the '90s and very early 2000s. When Chris Meyers took The Beat 94.5 CHR in 2004 it was electric; solid music, true personalities in all dayparts, and an incredible "street" presence. As a guy in my early 20s at the time who leaned toward pop/R&B/Hip-hop as opposed to hard rock, I felt the station was speaking directly to me, the epitome of where I was in my life at the time (a university student who was all about having a good time when I wasn't studying or training in the swimming pool ;)). I'm not sure if the current Virgin Radio 94.5 has that same stationality, despite the fact that they have some great young personalities in the mix. Granted, I am older and the music has changed. I just don't hear that same level of excitement as 15-16 years ago. Maybe it's harder to hit the posts on some of these new pop tunes? :) If anything, country radio has taken on some of those CHR formatics, at least on JR Country. I realize that this is somewhat of a digression, but I still think personality radio can be relatable to those younger demos.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia