Last Night was The Last Shift with Drex

Radio News from British Columbia

Last Night was The Last Shift with Drex

Postby jon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:48 pm

"The Final Meltdown" is a 64 3/4 minute audio file listed at https://curiouscast.ca/podcast/164/the-shift-with-drex/

It is described as "the final edition of The Shift with Drex", and is dated today, so I'm assuming that means that last night's show was the last live show.

Whether tonight's show will be a "Best of Drex" or, the bigger question, what will be on next week, appears to be an open question, as CKNW's schedule for next week still shows Drex.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Last Night was The Last Shift with Drex

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:44 pm

Last Friday he said he'd offered to stay around until a successor was picked, probably August.
THAT lasted a week.
Last night his mike was closed for good.

Guest hosts it will be...
Wonder why.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:37 am

Sad that the funniest bit I ever heard on the Drex show is not included in this clip.

It's when the woman says, "As a member of the Council, this station is committed to the highest standards of broadcasting ..." and then Drex would come back on.

That always cracked me up.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Sad that the funniest bit I ever heard on the Drex show is not included in this clip.

It's when the woman says, "As a member of the Council, this station is committed to the highest standards of broadcasting ..." and then Drex would come back on.

That always cracked me up.

Which goes to show that the CAB's standards must not be very high these days.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Drex has to be the absolute worst hire that CKNW ever made. I remember when he started, he bragged in a newspaper article that he was ready to fill the shoes of greats like Webster, Rafe, Burns, Bannerman etc.

Any show he did was the farthest thing from intelligent talk. It was nothing more than a gabfest with his producer and board op. The show bas basically 4 hours of Satellite Debris. People constantly talking over each other about nothing.

Along with all that, his music choices didn't fit the demographics of the stations he was on.

They claimed to be Canada's #1 late night talk show. I guess when there's no competition, you'd better be # 1 or there's a real problem.

I am hoping that his replacement will be someone with a news and/or talk background who can carry on a normal, friendly conversation with callers and not always appear to be angry.

Maybe Drex will finally find an FM station that will welcome his brand of radio. Isn't there some openings in Castlegar? They'd likely welcome him back.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Broadcast Babe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Never did think he was the right fit for the station. Need someone with journalistic chops who knows the intricacies of the format. I'm afraid the show was amateurish at best.
Broadcast Babe

Return to British Columbia