CKOO Soft 103.9 Kelowna going dark

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: CKOO Soft 103.9 Kelowna going dark

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:53 pm

260 Bell Media employees took a 25% pay-cut today.

The only reason we haven't heard more just yet it that the big companies' accounting and HR departments are still digesting the federal wage subsidy program, which is still being refined
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 pm

bummer
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 am

Well, this explains why the 103.9 FM frequency was pure static when trying to program it into the "speed dial" of the radio tuner (to the extent that digital touchscreens in new automobiles are called "tuners" anymore) in the past week or two. Sad to see, not unexpected. I wonder what the hold up was with the CRTC approving this application? Certainly, there was no concentration of ownership risk here in Glacier Media, owning no radio stations in Canada or even the local market, owning Avenue Radio, Ltd. Since the sale was still pending to Glacier, was J. Nicholas Frost's Early Frost Investments, Ltd., which had held the shares paid the $1-2 million fee for Avenue Radio? Or, was it held in trust by the trustee? In any case, could we expect to see a court battle as Early Frost Investments, Ltd., joins the creditors of Avenue Radio, Ltd., seeking to collect on what they are owed? Not that I feel terribly for Nick Frost, to be honest; he's made out well on the sales of Silk FM, Silk Internet, and Castanet Media (ex. Avenue Radio). I do feel for the personalities and technicians who lost their jobs, though. :(

Has anyone been able to find out who the bankruptcy and insolvency trustee is for Avenue Radio, Ltd.? I've tried various search queries using "avenue radio" and the usual suspects (i.e., PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, MNP, Bowra Group, etc.), but haven't found anything yet.

For what it's worth, Glacier Media went to court to obtain approval to extend the date by which they must hold their 2020 AGM for the 2019 fiscal year to December 31, 2020, so I suspect trying to get information out of them will be impossible...

Similarly, I had expected Glacier Media's digital only oldies music station, OkanaganValleyRadio.com, which they've promoted in the Kelowna Daily Courier, which they effectively control, to take up the slack left by Avenue Radio. However, that website has also shut down as well.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 am

Doug wrote:Well, this explains why the 103.9 FM frequency was pure static when trying to program it into the "speed dial" of the radio tuner (to the extent that digital touchscreens in new automobiles are called "tuners" anymore) in the past week or two. Sad to see, not unexpected. I wonder what the hold up was with the CRTC approving this application? Certainly, there was no concentration of ownership risk here in Glacier Media, owning no radio stations in Canada or even the local market, owning Avenue Radio, Ltd. Since the sale was still pending to Glacier, was J. Nicholas Frost's Early Frost Investments, Ltd., which had held the shares paid the $1-2 million fee for Avenue Radio? Or, was it held in trust by the trustee? In any case, could we expect to see a court battle as Early Frost Investments, Ltd., joins the creditors of Avenue Radio, Ltd., seeking to collect on what they are owed? Not that I feel terribly for Nick Frost, to be honest; he's made out well on the sales of Silk FM, Silk Internet, and Castanet Media (ex. Avenue Radio). I do feel for the personalities and technicians who lost their jobs, though. :(

Has anyone been able to find out who the bankruptcy and insolvency trustee is for Avenue Radio, Ltd.? I've tried various search queries using "avenue radio" and the usual suspects (i.e., PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, MNP, Bowra Group, etc.), but haven't found anything yet.

For what it's worth, Glacier Media went to court to obtain approval to extend the date by which they must hold their 2020 AGM for the 2019 fiscal year to December 31, 2020, so I suspect trying to get information out of them will be impossible...

Similarly, I had expected Glacier Media's digital only oldies music station, OkanaganValleyRadio.com, which they've promoted in the Kelowna Daily Courier, which they effectively control, to take up the slack left by Avenue Radio. However, that website has also shut down as well.

Cheers,
Doug

Found it... no thanks to Google. Had to manually search through all the major licensed insolvency trustee websites.

Grant Thornton LLP has been appointed Trustee in Bankruptcy for the insolvency of Avenue Radio, Ltd. Its Vancouver area partner Martin Chan is handling the file.

https://www.grantthornton.ca/service/ad ... -Radio-Ltd

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia