Any signs of life at CKPM?

Radio News from British Columbia

Any signs of life at CKPM?

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Before leaving Vancouver for my 3 month getaway to Europe, CKPM was off the for technical reasons. I was somewhat shocked to return and see they are still off the air.

Four months of being off the air is totally insane. Did the CRTC finally wake up and pull McBride's license? Are the staff that were there in April still sitting around waiting for a return to the air or
have they moved onto someplace else that might guarantee them a paycheque every two weeks?

Another case of the CRTC handing out a license to someone who was totally underfunded and underqualified to run a radio station.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: Any signs of life at CKPM?

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I did message the CRTC last month asking for a status update on CKPM. I also asked some questions, such as how long is an operational station allowed to be off the air before the CRTC or ISEDC step in. The answer that I received (below) was very vague.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning Mr. Sys:

Thank you for contacting us about CKPM radio 98.7-FM in Port Moody, B.C.

Here’s the latest information we have regarding CKPM, Submission of renewal applications for broadcasting licences of radio stations expiring on 31 August 2019:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-196.htm, Appendix, under Commercial Radio Stations.

Your thoughts and insights are important, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

Learn more about your CRTC: https://youtu.be/PweJmI9ZHFk

IMPORTANT NOTE: To respond to this message, please click here and follow the prompts: https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/questio ... 9269424383 If you are unable to click on this link, please copy and paste it in your browser.

Sincerely,

Chantal Proulx
Client Services | Services à la clientèle
Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission | Conseil de la radiodiffusion et des télécommunications canadiennes
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0N2
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 am

We must have been on the same wave length here ( sorry, had to go there) I've been listening to the static in my car here in the Valley and wondering the same thing myself. On the upside, with Roundhouse gone, 98.3 is back to a clear signal in Surrey and New West instead of two stations (Star and Roundhouse) stomping on each other.
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

McBride has until midnight tomorrow to notify the CRTC whether he wants to pull the pin or prolong the agony.

CFPV Pemberton has been off the air since 2009. That's almost 10 years of neglect, yet the license still stands.
CHMZ in Tofino has no antenna. It's been off the air for six months, was off the air for nearly a year in 2014/15 and the frequency is currently occupied by a pirate station using an unauthorized high power transmitter from an erroneously advertised location.
CIMM in Ucluelet has no effective control.
CKPM has been off the air for weeks on end. The owner claiming a power surge damaged equipment.

While these stations are operated by a negligent owner, it reflects poorly on the CRTC for enabling this sham. How many more years are we expected to suffer this nonsense?
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Hey - I just tried tuning CKPM in just now -
THEY NEVER SOUNDED BETTER.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Is there no administrative process whereby CRTC staff, not even requiring commissioners, can pull, suspend, or terminate a CRTC license where the station has been off air for <x> number of days? Simultaneous to that, they could/would/should a final letter stating the change to the applicant's license and that the applicant would be able to "restore" their existing license up to and including the beginning of the deadline to renew their license.

How's that Pulse FM station doing? They had pretty decent tunes last time I "tuned" in. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia