CKNW off the air

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW off the air

Postby kal » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Anyone else notice CKNW going dark during the night, Saturday into Sunday. I'm not sure how long it was off the air but it was definitely an opportunity to hear other station(s) on the 980 kHz frequency.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW off the air

Postby radiofan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I'd assume they are doing work at the site to accomodate the new 600AM which will be sharing the site with NW.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pm

What is the connection between 600AM and Corus/CKNW? I tried searching on 600AM and was led to a broadcaster operating from transmitters in Ferndale, WA.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:24 pm

A new ethnic station has been licensed for 600, taking over the old CJOR frequency, but not using the old CJOR towers in Richmond, which CISL is now using.

After being turned down on use of the CJOR towers, the best deal that they could get was from CKNW, to share their towers in Cloverdale. And the CRTC has OK'ed the required increase in power to get the same City of Vancouver signal strength as they would have got if they were using the CJOR towers.

As for CKNW, they were on the air overnight last night, but not the night before. It was weird when I tuned in to 980 just after midnight Vancouver time. I was getting two different Drex segments at the same time, from Corus-owned CKRM in Regina and CKNW. Surprising since I assumed they would be simulcast with both running the live feed. Maybe Drex had the night off and they were both running re-runs.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Jon.....Rawlco owns CJME 980 in Regina (not Corus) and does not carry "The Shift" with Drex. I am guessing that you were hearing CFPL 980 in London, ON. Good catch considering that they are only 5,000 watts at nights.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Turns out, Dan, that Rawlco-owned CKOM's Gormley has enough of an accent to make me think it was Drex. CJME re-runs his show during the time I was listening to 980, so that is what I was hearing.

Thanks for the correction.

P.S. - I'll be the first one to admit that I never really "fully digested" the Regina frequency shuffle that left 1300 vacant and ended CKCK's long history.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Jon, I sometimes like to imagine an alternate universe in which CKRM stayed at 980, Rawlco acquired 620 and paired the CKCK call letters with the news/talk format while moving CJME to FM. Ah, well...
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia