John Stirling in hospital...

Radio News from British Columbia

John Stirling in hospital...

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 am

Former Vancouver radio reporter John "Newfie" Stirling had planned on attending the R.P.M. Luncheon at the White Spot this week, but the best laid plans... Just received this note from John's wife Lorene...

"John is hospitalized after having had a serious and unexpected heart attack on April 12th. He has barely survived, been operated on once, and is slated for another procedure on the 18th or 20th. If he gets a day pass, he will not be driving, thus will not, physically be able to attend the old guys broadcaster lying and bragging session on the 17th. Would you be so kind to express his disappointment to Red Robinson, please. John & Red worked together at wx and nw, and those two had a lot of fun together. John just missed Red as John joined 14-cfun after Red had departed, but still he has many good memories from his 24 years of on-air broadcasting in this province. He’d appreciate it because he enjoyed so many of the guys he spent years competing with and against. He’s a stubborn Newfie, and never was or will be a quitter. He’ll be back soon."

Hoping for a full recovery, and being able to see John at the next R.P.M lunch, in 6 months time!
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Re: John Stirling in hospital...

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am

Not good... :-(  
John was my mentor. Gave me my first stringer job at 'WX News (along with my BCIT Journalism classmate Judy Olsen)
Get well soon, John... Keep on Truckin'...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: John Stirling in hospital...

Postby CubbyCam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 pm

An update from "Newfie" himself! And it's good news...

"This is a “hi everyone” and NOT from the “other side.”
Many of you have reached out after hearing of my heart attack on April 12th. It’s been an interesting journey, and hopefully finally solved.
Lorene and I faced a very big hurdle yesterday when told open heart was the only possible option, unless I wanted to give the three doctors the consent to try a procedure they thought “might” unblock my last of 6 blocked arteries. I signed. They did (and filmed the move for educational purposes for other doctors), and I now have 5 stents in my fuel pump.
After all this, I still hate needles, but I have a renewed respect for the medical profession, and am overjoyed when I see ear-to-ear smiles on the faces of highly trained heart surgeons. Me? I was trying not to pee myself from joy…didn’t have time for ear-to-ear smiles, plus the drugs I was on made me think I was back in the 60’s at university(haha).
Thanks to our dear friends who cared to get in touch…you are, yourselves, very special to Lorene and Me. Thanks you for your generosity of heart felt concern.
I’m grounded for a little bit (back to the 60’s again), but am glad to be alive and glad to have friends such as yourselves.
Cheers for now, and thank you one and all,
John & Lorene"
:occasion5:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia