The Shift w. Drek

Radio News from British Columbia

The Shift w. Drek

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 am

Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the water!

The pompous show obviously began at 1900 hours, judging by the number of 'set-up' phone calls from friends off the top of the show.

Note to host...
Grab a map of Canada.
Without Saskatchewan, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, nor Newfoundland and Labrador you are not a national talk show.

Bailey sounded great, but maybe give up some of the bumper music to insert local weather which is missing for the entire length of the program

Last edited by PicturesForYourEars on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: The Shift w. Drek

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:The show obviously begins at 1900 hours, judging by the number of 'set-up' phone calls from friends off the top of the show.

Note to host...
Grab a map of Canada.
Without Saskatchewan, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, nor Newfoundland and Labrador you are not a national talk show.

PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 am

This show ain't gonna win it for NW. Host trying too hard to make something out of nothing and failing miserably. Softball issues, softball interviews, softball questions, newsreader didn't have a clue with wrong inflections and mispronunciations. Amateurish at best and not worth a 2nd listen.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

I tried to listen. Beyond the mumbling terrible accent Drecks is a lightweight. He shouldn't be on a major market radio station but he's a good corporate toady which is all that counts these days. Considering all the experienced broadcasters tossed out of work in the last decade I'm sure Corus could find someone that can do better than this sad effort. Try the LBC breakfast show with Nick Ferrari at that time on the Simple Radio app. He's also on Tune-In but I deleted the app when they started inserting commercials before they give you the station feed. As an aside the morons at Rogers still don't have the 650 Sportsnet stream available there although the Edmonton and Toronto stations are on.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 am

I'd forgotten when the show was debuting. Hadn't been planning on listening to it but due to a touch of insomnia, I turned the radio on and it was there, so I though "what the heck" and gave it a try. Was able to sit through the first 30 minutes before having to turn it off. This is the best that the Corus braintrust could come up with? As others have said, Dreck is mumbly-mouthed, anxious-sounding and, at best, amateurish. Quite surprised that his mommy wasn't part of the love-fest during the first half-hour of seemingly set-up calls (maybe she called in later, who knows?).

Dreck, I know you read these boards. I don't wish you ill-will (though I will continue to call you Dreck, simply because it makes me laugh), but please, you have a national platform, something so many people would kill for. You've been handed a golden opportunity. Please work on your diction. Find a voice coach, there are a number of experts in Vancouver who could help you improve your delivery, and if Corus won't pay for it, do it yourself and get your accountant to write it off as "professional development". I'm not talking about losing the accent, but working on enunciation, breathing, phrasing and pacing. If you don't do some serious work on these issues, I can't see you lasting very long before the listener complaints force management to make changes to the show.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Not sure if I would agree with the title of the thread but Drex needs to listen to Mike Smyth shows to figure out how it is done. He is too obsessed with being an SJW and the show sounds just unbalanced. I don't think the problem is with his accent if he sounded like a Newfie from Arkansas people wouldn't care as long as the content and flow of the show are good.

I listened to his show for about 45 minutes before switching to Red Eye Radio, good review of the day's stories including the NFL playoff football games from a non-sports jock perspective.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:22 pm

tuned wrote:Try the LBC breakfast show with Nick Ferrari at that time on the Simple Radio app. He's also on Tune-In but I deleted the app when they started inserting commercials before they give you the station feed. As an aside the morons at Rogers still don't have the 650 Sportsnet stream available there although the Edmonton and Toronto stations are on.

LBC is too UK focused. I don't care about Tube Problems or beefs about the British medical system. Farrage's show in the evening is actually entertaining. You are right about 650 Sportsnet their internet format apparently does not support TuneIn as well as many internet radios. They need to be on Tune In as that is where Alexa gets the majority of their radio feeds from. Having to download an app just to listen to them is a pain and the station is not worth the effort.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I’m doubtful about this venture. Still, taking a page from Bambi’s Book Of Good Manners, I’ll stick to compliments.

The ticket-scalping segment with Alan Cross proved most informative. Hope Drex realizes that the best interviews are those in which experts—who are also articulate—can let their thoughts roll with undue interruption from a host. Drex sufficiently zipped his own lips for Alan’s segment to sparkle.

Given time, Bailey will improve at come-and-go newsreading. For now, her vocal quality sounds much improved over conventional NW newscasts. Wonder if management sprung for a better mic and/or a mini broadcast booth right next to Drex?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Agreeing with the previous poster. And I'd rather not post under the title of this thread. So I will continue under the other thread.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Meanwhile, old Coast to Coast fans missed George Knapp interviewing Roy Orbison Jr. during the first hour of Sunday’s show. Aside from some telephone glitches, an interesting profile of a new coffee table photo book on the Big O and his illustrious history.

Riddle me this: Given that most Lower Mainlanders cannot pick up Roundhouse Radio’s anemic signal, why doesn’t The upstart station at least archive Coasts for a brief spell? NW always stockpiled previous Coasts—sometimes for up to 10 days—after initial broadcast.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:10 am

Show number two. Stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter. Stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter.
SSSSSS stutter. Stutter stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter, stutter stutter
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 am

Another brilliant contribution. You really should sleep at night instead of posting.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am

How about that, I agree with howaboutthat. Next thing you know the CRTC will be banning voice tracking.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Fair enough.
But no need to worry about me.
I had to be awake all night as I was working, making a little over $64 an hour I might add.

You may have noticed that when I posted about the first night that there was no mention of the host stuttering.
That's because he didn't stutter hardly at all ...on the FIRST night.

Without much other information content available on the radio dial, I hope the stuttering stops because it is grating and listeners aren't going to put up with that for long.

So I'm hoping for a change knowing that show one didn't have much stuttering.

I would listen to Coast to Coast but unfortunately I can't get Round House Radio reception here in Tri-Cities.

Also why I don't listen to CKPM. ... Because I DO get it here in the Tri-Cities!

A couple of other notes:
I listened rather attentively and I don't recall hearing much, if any, mention of the call letters or markets of the other stations during last night's broadcast... Maybe I missed it.

Worth noting that Gordon MacDonald was on the air at 10 minutes before 2 with the breaking news of the Tsunami alert.
Great job!

I hope the audiobook that I have on hold from the library comes available today...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby MonteVideo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:44 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Show number two. Stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter. Stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter.
SSSSSS stutter. Stutter stutter, stutter stutter stutter stutter stutter, stutter stutter

That's very unkind. I'm serious. He stumbles a bit, but he is a person who has actually overcome stuttering.

These boards are for bullies.
shoop shoop diddy wah
MonteVideo

Next

Return to British Columbia