TSN 1040 loses Canucks to Rogers

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: TSN 1040 loses Canucks to Rogers

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 am

If they have to start looking around for cheap or free programming regardless of whether it fits in the marketplace then they have to seriously question the viability of the format.

There are already questions about the viability of the Canucks rights. TSN wasn't making money on the Canucks anymore. BUT, if that's your live property coupled with one locally produced show, in addition to national hockey type programming (they could run out of market Rogers games) and the Jays etc, then really the overhead isn't onerous.

This move is all about putting all the Rogers eggs into one basket. Nothing else. It's clean. The arena, the TV Deal, the NHL Deal, the Blue Jays, the Canucks. I highly doubt the station will be trying to put live local programming on the air from 6-6. Nor do I hear that the games will be run on the existing 3 stations on Ash Street.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Story4You » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm

WheresFredTaylor wrote:
Story4You wrote:I would be surprised if they rebrand Kiss to all sports.
Remember, as a CHILLIWACK station first, the focus would have to be on that market then out. i believe they have had their hand slapped in the past and the commission would likely come down on them again.
Also, isn't "news talk/sports talk" on FM still a specialty and require application to make a change?

Maybe look at the earlier comments?

i did. There was speculation of 104.9 having the games so i made a comment.
tough crowd.
Story4You

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

And you were right. It would require CRTC approval -- a public process.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 pm

I thought Rogers bought the national NHL hockey game broadcasting rights "on all platforms and on all services," as they phrased it, I believe, so couldn't they have broadcasted the NHL games on radio, too? As I understood it, Bell Media retained some local broadcasting game rights but Rogers was free to broadcast any NHL game, at least on TV, in any market in which Bell had local rights.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia