The Bickersons

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:11 pm

my apologies to Don Ameche

CKNW ride to benefit Orphans' Fund
'Bickersons' Till, McComb to lead the way

Corrie Miller, The Province
Published: Friday, June 16, 2006

What do you get when you cross two prominent Vancouver radio hosts (with prominent attitudes to match) with some motorcycles of varying vintages?

A lot of witty banter, a giggle or two, and a motorcycle ride that supports one of B.C.'s legendary charities, the CKNW Orphans' Fund.

The first ever CKNW Newscruise hits the road June 25 and is hosted by the "Bickersons" as they are aptly and affectionately named -- Philip Till of the CKNW Morning News and Jon McComb of longstanding afternoon fixture, The World Today.

Tongue firmly lodged in cheek, the volleyed banter between these two longtime friends quite frankly made my day.

"McComb rides what he calls a 'vintage' Honda. I call it the Honda SM (Scrap Metal)," said Till with a smirk. "I, on the other hand, select my bike from a collection of the Honda ST1300, CBR1000 and 600RR, all of which I have hand polished by my English butler Peregrine," said Till, with accent to match.

"I like to make the odd stop for caviar and toast. Peregrine carries a portable toaster along with the windshield cleaner."

"My bike is vintage," said McComb of his 1979 Honda EX400.

"Although, I'm thinking of riding on the back of Till's bike. If I'm not there to guide him, the Newscruise may just turn into a search-and-rescue operation!"

And, by the way, the EX400 has been restored and, though it may not be the fastest bike on the road, what it lacks in speed it makes up for in charm.

"When he's not falling off it, anyway," piped in Till with a laugh. "One time he fell off and hit my wife Michele's car, even though both the bike and the car were stationary at the time."

Tills advice: Give McComb a wide berth.

McComb countered, "I was confused you see. Philip had not swept the driveway. It was dark and rainy. There were lots of hazards."

"It was a beautiful summer's day!" fired Till.

"I hit Michele's car with my helmet; Caused $700 damage to the car," said McComb with a laugh.

"Oh, then there was that time in the Cariboo where I hit the German tourist. Oh, it's a long story. I'll have to save that for the memoir."

Thanks for the laugh, boys. McComb promises to be in much finer form come June 25. And, if not, it seems Till will be the first to point it out.

The Bickersons can hang (and ride) with me any day. McComb isn't that bad. Honest.

Leaving 10 a.m. from the PNE fairgrounds in Vancouver, Newscruisers will snake their way through a mixture of highway and scenic back roads to Alouette Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park where they will be greeted by a lavish salmon barbeque, Keith Diamond and the Rockets' 11-piece band, a variety of prizes and a chance to mingle with fellow riders.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:24 am

Here's the ringleaders of PHIL's ANGELS

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:41 am

Holy crap!

I hope that hawg can handle all that weight - did they reinforce the springs?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:51 am

Real bikers ride real motorbikes. Real bikes don't have a windshield wiper!
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia