The Retiring Terry Timms

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: The Retiring Terry Timms

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:15 pm

I had a friend who was an op at QM whose "career" in radio was ended shortly after Terry learned the guy went through his whole Saturday shift using Sunday's log.

The "career" would have likely come to a screeching halt much sooner had Terry realized his library was leaving the building piece by piece each time this guy left the building.

His CFMI "career" only lasted about two weekends. He made the mistake of "borrowing" records from the wrong pile.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 pm

The guy I replaced at QM was fired for opening the mic. Oddly though, he was allowed back in the building to visit for at least the next 6 months.

Of course, he had picked the worst possible situation: he didn't have the John Avison/Maurice Foisy voice track cued up at some point during Starlight Concert, 6 classical pieces including a complete Symphony from 9-11pm nightly, simulcast on CHQM AM & FM.

Needless to say, the first thing I was lectured on when I first entered the building was NEVER opening the mic. switch under any circumstances. "Yeah, duh" was my reaction, though I never said it out loud.

Silly to lift records, as then-Librarian Jurgen Gothe would get whatever you wanted for $1.50 an LP. 45s from the discard box were free; not bad when you consider that CHQM got two copies of everything and never kept a 45 once the LP arrived or it was no longer current, whichever came first.

In fact, the only person I ever saw even take LPs home for the weekend was Jack Stark, who owned an 85% share in the station, as he was quick to point out when I first met him one Saturday afternoon. At QM, it was more likely to be the other way around, as Jurgen brought in LPs from his own jazz collection for specific shows. And got very angry at one of the full-time operators who loved jazz, and would do his own listening while eating Finger-Lickin' Good chicken and handling the LP by its grooves.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Garry Gaudet » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:22 pm

WHAT?? RETIRED??? Timms - you're still a teen in my mind. How the years do roll by!!
You took some finding, lad; I thought you were ensconced somewhere in the lower mainland doing who knows what..our old pal Lyndon Grove had no idea where you'd got to. But there you are in Salmon Arm! Say hello for me to Clyde Tucker, will ya, and anyone else who may remember me from the Okanagan College campus there. I was doing media and community relations at OC/OUC from '86 to '97.
I don't go near Twitter so can't reach out to you that way, kind of technophobic about 'social media' generally, including Facebook - but if you'd like to get in touch, I am on Facebook; we could exchange contact info there.
PS - I still have audiotaped out-takes of Jack Wilson, Foisy, Garner and others that should never be aired, but make for great Christmas Party material at Jack Stark's north shore lodge...know anyone who maintains a 'radio tape memories museum'?
Cheers! Garry Gaudet
Garry Gaudet

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:16 am

I can think of two places that are a "radio tape memories museum" ;-)

You're here at one of them.

The other is RadioWest's companion site, https://bcradiohistory.com/ AKA Museum of RADIO in British Columbia.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia