Mojo raising the white flag?

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby tuned » Mon May 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Is JJ sitting in the corner office sharpening up the axe for another round of blood letting at MOJO? Has time finally run out for the once mighty 730? What will they do next? They can't be making any money with all the local programming and with the 'nucks gone...
anybody heard anything?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 am

I hope this isn't true, but Foxman may be the only one standing in the morning, while Blake Price may be the new drive home guy. Everything else would be satellite broadcast.

Shortly after the TEAM signed on, I remember asking Tom Plasteras what he thought about the all-sports format. He told me "he didn't like business plan of all sports", and "unless Dan Russell hosted a dynamic drive home show, he didn't think the format would survive".
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 30, 2006 10:27 am

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Shortly after the TEAM signed on, I remember asking Tom Plasteras what he thought about the all-sports format.?? He told me "he didn't like business plan of all sports", and "unless Dan Russell hosted a dynamic drive home show, he didn't think the format would survive".

Yes, Tom Plasteras is a true visionary, no doubt about it.

I wonder what his sage programming acumen is telling him about MOJO's new abortive reincarnation - whatever that may be.

It would be nice to see Plasteras walk the plank this time instead of the staff, but I doubt that there's much chance of that happening.

Here's a question for you: Since NW is all news/talk, and Ian Koenigsfest is the news director who also oversees the talk shows - just what the hell is it that Plasteras does over there in the mighty Black Tower?

Someone, please enlighten me.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 am

What Terry David Mulligan does for the stars, Tommy does for management. Plasterass is probably organizing bodybags for the upcoming Mojo cleanse. So let me get this straight. Corus owned the three most valuable sports assets in the market ie. the canucks, the lions and dan russell and yet were unable to make an all sports format work?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue May 30, 2006 11:59 am

So it's confirmed...McKeach, Marjanovich, Stansfield, and ROCK 101 Promo Director Colin Whiteside...from what I know.

I wish these fellows all the best. This could be the best day of their lives and their careers, even if it doesn't feel that way for them right now.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 30, 2006 12:10 pm

I threw away my radio a couple of years ago - can someone please fill me in.

Did they pull the plug on the transmitter, or is MOJO currently on the air - and if so - what kind of crap are they throwing against the wall now?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby buzzbishop » Tue May 30, 2006 12:29 pm

AM730 is now continous traffic in AM/PM drives and "the best of talk" which means a re-run of Dan Russel 9a-Noon and a re-run of Bill Good Noon-3p.

I get having to trim costs to meet fiscal expectations, after all, they are running a business, not a charity.

However, the lack of creativity in programming is truly embarassing. I am truly embarassed to have this braintrust as a part of the broadcasting fraternity.

Hell, I would have better understood a switch to Punjabi than I understand what they're doing here.

Congrats to Rob Gray and the boys at the Team. I hope they take this opportunity to make their own product even better as opposed to taking a breather since the competition died.
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue May 30, 2006 1:19 pm

4 years and 2 days since the masterminds at the Black Tower blew up NW 2 and sent 25 innocent people to the street below .. they do it again with only 14 casualties this time.

Do these people really qualify to own broadcast licences?

What a freakin' joke.

Best of luck to all involved in today's bloodbath .. in a few days you'll look back and say "Christ I'm glad I'm out of that cesspool!"
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Kim Seale » Tue May 30, 2006 1:43 pm

So, let me get this straight, they're back to traffic reports and the best of talk from CKNW?
Kim Seale
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue May 30, 2006 3:02 pm

I just got this from a friend - maybe something new in it

this came over BURLI today at Noon....
Vancouver has lost its MOJO.
Corus Entertainment has killed the all-sports radio station and is replacing it with continuous traffic reports during the day, and the best of talk from sister station CKNW at other times. The change means 14 people have lost their jobs, including MOJO sports personalities; John McKeachie, Bob Marjanovich, Jeff Patterson, and Blake Price. Long time sports broadcaster and CKNW sports director, J.P. McConnell is also leaving.
Corus spokeswoman Sally Tindall says the traffic format is the first of its kind anywhere in north America. The changes will take effect on Monday (June 5)
Just last month, 12 people were fired from their jobs at CKNW, in what Corus called "a restructuring aimed at keeping the station successsful in a competitive market. Corus owns 4 stations in the Vancouver area.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you punch up 730 today, all you'll hear is a series of promo's - trying to explain this new "format" (?) with snippets of old CAR Songs (Mustang Sally, Who's gonna drive you home, Little deuce coupe etc) - in fact these old records sound good on the old CKLG 730 frequency. Rumor has it, that they'll re-run Dan Russell's sports Talk show, next morning - 9am to 1pm. If Paterson is fired, who will host Russell's show, on the weekends?

Will it ever end? There must be a lot of empty offices, in those top floors of their Georgia & Granville studios.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm

I thought the music sounded great too .. .after hearing about the demise of the bastard child of the cancer riddled Top Dog on NEWS 1130, I tuned to 730 and heard Jet Airliner by Steve Miller. Great I thought...another Oldies station... and then the song became a promo ... oh well ...
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue May 30, 2006 4:50 pm

just heard the 730 promos

who is the voice??
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue May 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Kim Seale wrote: So, let me get this straight, they're back to traffic reports and the best of talk from CKNW?

I think that is what is planned Kim, but I'm not sure if the traffic reports will be live, or if they will also be "Best Of". They could re-run old traffic reports from years gone by with people like Kathy Morse, Kathy Robertson, Pam Newton, Shawn Webster, Sarah Daniels, Jennifer Thompson, Amy Bell etc.

If you ever hear a traffic report on an old aircheck from 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago...nothing has changed...so it could work.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue May 30, 2006 7:53 pm

Is the contract with the Whitecaps going to be honoured? and how about the Giants next season?

Is J.P. leaving on his own accord? I'm surprised Plasteras doesn't hire some body-guards........I've known some incompetents in my radio days, but none like that guy
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue May 30, 2006 8:05 pm

After experimenting with Country after the CHR died, the once mighty 93 KHJ in L.A. tried going "All Traffic" (with car-related tunes thrown in for good measure) for awhile in the mid-80's. The station was appropriately known as CAR RADIO. It didn't work, and today KHJ is Spanish. If something like this can't make it in L.A. it obviously won't work in Vancouver either. The talk of 730 going Punjabi might not be too far off the mark as there's nothing really left for Corus to try with that station.

There is an interesting aircheck of CAR RADIO 93 KHJ from 1984 about half way down this page:
http://www.geocities.com/amstereo2000/
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia