CJNY 106.3

Radio News from British Columbia

CJNY 106.3

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:35 pm

On Friday CJNY The Journey officially signed on at 106.3. I have it on in the car and haven't changed the station in weeks. From what I can gather they seem to be broadcasting using the Bell Media tower on Seymour, at 9000 watts. The signal, although not as loud as most, can be heard practically everywhere. Indigenous-owned, CJNY is linked to CFNR in Northern BC. 99 % commercial free. It sounds as if some guy has broken into the shack at the transmitter and is playing his own personal playlist. I've been listening about 3 weeks and many times the deep tracks have sent me to Shazam, ticking my memory bone. AWESOME RELIEF FROM THE TYPICAL 1000 SONG PLAYLISTS, for the time being. In all that time the only song I heard repeated was One Fine Morning - Lighthouse. That's a huge selection of tunes on air. I believe they've picked up where the AVR (Aboriginal Voices Network left off when their licence was revoked in 2015, which I listened to frequently late at night -- for their selection). BIG BEEF: Often the 106.3 signal will clip and cut out for a moment (like buffering). I've heard it during many songs and during a straight-voice PSA, so it ain't the music. Wonder what makes a transmitter do that???
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: CJNY 106.3

Postby the-real-deal » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:10 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:On Friday CJNY The Journey officially signed on at 106.3. I have it on in the car and haven't changed the station in weeks. From what I can gather they seem to be broadcasting using the Bell Media tower on Seymour, at 9000 watts. The signal, although not as loud as most, can be heard practically everywhere. Indigenous-owned, CJNY is linked to CFNR in Northern BC. 99 % commercial free. It sounds as if some guy has broken into the shack at the transmitter and is playing his own personal playlist. I've been listening about 3 weeks and many times the deep tracks have sent me to Shazam, ticking my memory bone. AWESOME RELIEF FROM THE TYPICAL 1000 SONG PLAYLISTS, for the time being. In all that time the only song I heard repeated was One Fine Morning - Lighthouse. That's a huge selection of tunes on air. I believe they've picked up where the AVR (Aboriginal Voices Network left off when their licence was revoked in 2015, which I listened to frequently late at night -- for their selection). BIG BEEF: Often the 106.3 signal will clip and cut out for a moment (like buffering). I've heard it during many songs and during a straight-voice PSA, so it ain't the music. Wonder what makes a transmitter do that???

Im not a radio engineer, and I am not there at your site, but it sounds like a number of things, such as: internet - streaming latency issue. Either the internet is lite speed, or too slow, or streaming device taking up too much memory from the desktop or laptop, thus the music clip will cut out, occasionally. Another cause could be the radio station is being played by remote control from another computer and that computer is running out of memory and or hard drive space. So, it could be a number of reasons ? Does the station have an internet presencem so we can listen to it? It might be your listening device, as well, if your cell phone is old or running out of memory ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:22 am

p.s have a friend listen to the same radio signal and see whether he hears of skipping of songs, too ? If so, then it must be a radio station issue, and not likely the fm transmitter, either or your cell/desktop. It's something computer related, internet related, or in some cases, the music file may be corrupted, due to compression, and skips ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:40 am

Indeed. I only listen in my car . My friend stopped listening in his car because of the annoyance. I believe they're licensed as a non-profit. For now I'm enjoying the wide variety as a diversion from the regular Vancouver radio dial. Joyfully, it's almost as if some guy has locked himself in the transmitter shack with an iPod broadcasting his personal playlists.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:58 am

When i went to my high school reunion in smithers a few yers back, i listed to the northern version of this station where they promoted themselves as classic rock. I thought it was better than CFMI or Jack at that time. They seemed to be digging up some deeper tracks then as well. Sounds like they are using a similar format in Vancouver. I live in Mexico 6 months a year so have not heard it yet. i need to check out the streaming.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby erratic » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:14 pm

I think they need a new transmitter to replace the old CKAV transmitter that wasn't maintained. Lots of other noises and blanks in their signal with the old transmitter. I hope CJNY has ordered a new transmitter and that it'll come soon.
erratic

Postby erratic » Thu May 04, 2023 8:52 pm

I think CJNY has fixed a lot of their FM issues since I last posted a couple months ago. I'm still not sure if they're at full power yet at 9000 watts from Mt. Seymour as their station still drops out on SE facing slopes in Coquitlam in my car. Maybe their approved signal is more directed at Vancouver rather than the Van metro east suburbs and Fraser Valley.
erratic

Postby Dan Sys » Fri May 05, 2023 5:21 am

I too have noticed a bit of an improvement with CJNY's signal. They come in pretty decent in Aldergrove, but once you cross into Abbotsford the signal becomes a mess. Their predecessor CKAV (AVR) was supposed to launch a repeater in Abbotsford using the facilities of the defunct CKMA/CFVR 850, but that never got off the ground. Perhaps CJNY should look at doing something similar, but on FM this time.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Mon May 15, 2023 5:34 pm

no doubt it would be approved. Their mother station in the north has an incredible number of repeaters, covering from williams lake to Prince Rupert
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby Fall Guy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm

This is by far one of the newest and best radio stations, lower mainland. The station reminds me of the good old days so to speak when it was all ROCK and no talk with limited commercials. My former brother-in-law, Russ, too loud McLeod had always envisioned a native run radio station. I’m glad it finally happened even though I don’t think he had anything to do with it he had the future vision of it.
Fall Guy

Return to British Columbia